Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/3/2024 11:32:44 AM EDT
I have read through the troubleshooting discussion thread, and although many of you have touched on my issue, I cannot find a definitive answer. So here goes.
I have an older Anderson Firearm complete .300 Blackout upper.  (16" fluted carbine length barrel, steel gas block).  We have mounted it on a S&W 5.5/.223 lower.  It fires fine, but that's where it gets hinkey.  The rifle will not eject the spent cartridge.  The bolt retracts approximately 3/4-1" and stops.  We are trying to shoot either Hornady "Black" 110 gr or Remington 125 gr, with same issue. We have measured and as best as we can tell the gas hole and gas tube are aligned correctly.  The gas tube has been cleaned.  The bolt is in good working order, screws staked and tight, gas key tight/sealed. Still the same issue.  As I said before, we are using a 5.56/.223 lower and it has a collapsible stock from S&W.  We have tried different lengths of springs but still the problem persists. I have ordered a "Nemo Arms" 300 blackout spring (being sent by USPS so I expect it any month now).  What if anything can we do....?  I was a Colt Armorer for my department years ago, but we were restricted to using only 5.56/.223 ammo supplied by the agency.  Never had an issue like this....
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 11:45:40 AM EDT
[#1]
You need a pistol length gas port
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 1:50:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

NO YOU DON'T.  It does help but it should still shoot and cycle fine with a carbine length gas.
I would use a reg carbine buffer and spring.  Have you checked the size of your gas port?  It might need opened up for more gas.  Maybe you should give Anderson a call and see what they have to say i'm sure they would be happy to help get it sorted out.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 1:58:13 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're shooting supers and not cycling, you have a serious hardware issue. I'm guessing binding, but can't know for sure without having it in hand.

The finicky nature of 300 BLK is really only talking subs. Supers produce the same amount of gas as a 223 load.

No reason it shouldn't be 100% even with a smaller gas port.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 2:33:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Was this upper modified in any way?  Or is it factory fresh from Anderson?
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 10:27:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I have a carbine gas 300blk that says you don't.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 10:30:56 PM EDT
[#6]
does the rifle cycle manually without excessive friction?

Link Posted: 1/4/2024 10:00:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Factory fresh but it sat in my safe for a number of years. We've gone thru the rifle (upper and lower), there is no binding, it fires single shot fine, and retracts about 3/4" and stops. I ordered a .300 specific buffer spring in hopes that it will take care of the issue. Anderson doesn't make this upper any longer, I kind of wonder why they quit making it, but not a big issue.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 10:19:51 AM EDT
[#8]
What is the gas port size?
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 11:23:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I have a old DSA 300blk upper from 2012 that shoots great 16" car length gas.  They havn't sold this upper for a long time.  I would try and plug up the chamber and blow air into the muzzle end to see if u get air out of the gas tube to see if you got any obstruction.  Do you notice any wear markings in the upper?
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 3:47:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 3:58:06 PM EDT
[#11]
My first guess would be one of two things:
1. Wrong buffer
2. Wrong buffer spring.

Or, a combo of both.
If you're not seeing fouling outside the gas block and you've checked alignment, doubtful that's the culprit.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 4:21:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 1:50:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have read through the troubleshooting discussion thread, and although many of you have touched on my issue, I cannot find a definitive answer. So here goes.
I have an older Anderson Firearm complete .300 Blackout upper.  (16" fluted carbine length barrel, steel gas block).  We have mounted it on a S&W 5.5/.223 lower.  It fires fine, but that's where it gets hinkey.  The rifle will not eject the spent cartridge.  The bolt retracts approximately 3/4-1" and stops.  We are trying to shoot either Hornady "Black" 110 gr or Remington 125 gr, with same issue. We have measured and as best as we can tell the gas hole and gas tube are aligned correctly.  The gas tube has been cleaned.  The bolt is in good working order, screws staked and tight, gas key tight/sealed. Still the same issue.  As I said before, we are using a 5.56/.223 lower and it has a collapsible stock from S&W.  We have tried different lengths of springs but still the problem persists. I have ordered a "Nemo Arms" 300 blackout spring (being sent by USPS so I expect it any month now).  What if anything can we do....?  I was a Colt Armorer for my department years ago, but we were restricted to using only 5.56/.223 ammo supplied by the agency.  Never had an issue like this....
View Quote

First thing would be to isolate the issue.

Pop this upper on a different lower and test it out, see if it does the same thing or not.

If it does, you know it’s the upper, not buffer, or spring, or anything else.  Try a different BCG from a friend first & go from there.

If it doesn’t, you need to start looking into the lower.  Swap spring and buffer with any standard one and see if it works.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 9:26:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Ok, well I did check the gas block vs gas port on barrel, it appeared to me after measuring that it was slightly skewed and not sitting directly over the gas port.  I managed to figure out how to rectify that issue.  I also installed a .300 Blackout buffer spring with a H2 buffer.  Fired the weapon, it extracts and ejects spent cartridge fine, however now another issue popped up.  It will not feed a new round into chamber. It does reset the sear, but no round in the chamber.  I have been using a military 20 round colt magazine, but thought would try different mags, to see if my old military mag was at fault. Several different 20/30 round mags, and still not picking up new cartridge.  Got looking at my mag.  Appears on the backside of face of mag, the opening for picking up new cartridge is quite a bit smaller or restrictive for bolt to pick up new cartridge (again this might be just my imagination), hoping something simple could be the cause.  A friend has ordered a .300 blackout magazine from Brownell's I believe, but another head scratcher for sure.  Got any ideas?
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 4:23:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Does it lock open on one round?
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 8:58:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Change the buffer and spring back to the original.  One thing at a time.  Very hard to tell whats going on when you are changing multiple parts around.  Looks like it was never a buffer or spring issue but a gas block alignment issue.  Love how most people just like to throw money at the issue in hope that it fixes the problem than to actually take the time to figure out whats really wrong.  Sorry OP
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 11:38:00 AM EDT
[#17]
No....it kicks out the spent round, and the bolt goes home, it cocks, but no round in chamber.  Did the same thing multiple times....
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Hey no problem, don't exactly throw money at it, it just happened that the spring came in the same time we could work on it.  Of course finding that the gas port on the gas block was a bit skewed after measuring it, I think helped, we did put the carbine spring back in it, and it did kick the spent round out.  So we did eliminate the short cycling only now we have a failure to feed, but thanks for the feedback.  It was kind of dumb of me to try the re-alignment of the gas port and see if that was the root cause.  Noted!
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 12:25:12 PM EDT
[#19]
If its not picking up the next round its still short stroking.  I would try and use a reg car buffer instead of that h2.  I can weigh mine if you like.  Not sure if it would help i never used factory ammo in mine.  Will the bolt lock back on the last round?
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 4:03:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top