Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/24/2024 1:07:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU]
How is everyone handling horizontal POI shift between supers and subs?

I swapped in a new Faxon 7.5" barrel and it shoots amazing with subs.
Trusty old Phantom Ti30 QD suppressor.

These are the first rounds through it.
110 Amax AAC on the left, not great but not terrible for an Eotech and minor astigmatism...
220gr older Rem factory loads on the right, same hold, no zero adjustment.
Walking up i was afraid i had keyholed but that is actually 3 rounds in one hole...

Attachment Attached File

More back and forth confirmed the pattern.
~8" down (not a problem) and ~6" left (kind of a problem)...

Zero subs on this gun and dedicate it to subs?
I have a Jakl for supers I guess...

I'm thinking about picking up a Holosun DRS thermal for it eventually, could zero the red dot on supers and the thermal overlay reticle on subs.....
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:11:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Just curious, is that the 1/5 or 1/8 version of the 7.5?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:38:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By panthermark:
Just curious, is that the 1/5 or 1/8 version of the 7.5?
View Quote

1:8 Gunner profile.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:38:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#3]
Guess i should have specified this was at 100yd
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:20:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Piggyback reflex on a prism, with the rds zeroed for sub's and the prism for super's...
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:23:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:
Piggyback reflex on a prism, with the rds zeroed for sub's and the prism for super's...
View Quote

Thought about this too, have played with it on other guns.
I don't love piggyback optics due to inconsistent check weld but it might be the ticket in this case.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:40:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#6]
Anyone get their hands on a Sig Romeo 9T?  Only $4K
Dual emitters with independent zeroes.
Red for subs and green for supers for example.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:41:51 PM EDT
[#7]
How are the AAC's without the suppressor?  Still all over the place?   Could be ammo.   That is a heck of a group if those are the Remington OTFB 220's.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:43:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#8]
Originally Posted By panthermark:
How are the AAC's without the suppressor?  Still all over the place?   Could be ammo.   That is a heck of a group if those are the Remington OTFB 220's.
View Quote

Haven't tried in this barrel, only suppressed.
They were a ~2-2.5 moa from my Jakl with and without the R9, but that was with a 2x prism.
Lots of luck involved on the right group I'm sure 😅
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:52:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By RDTCU:

Thought about this too, have played with it on other guns.
I don't love piggyback optics due to inconsistent check weld but it might be the ticket in this case.
View Quote

The cheek weld issue I have handled by lowering (1.3"ish) the primary optic, which provides a solid chin weld while still being able to get behind the prism without issue.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:10:35 PM EDT
[#10]
The cheek weld issue I have handled by lowering (1.3"ish) the primary optic, which provides a solid chin weld while still being able to get behind the prism without issue.  
View Quote

What prism/dot combo?
I have a few from 1x to 5x
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:19:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#11]
I get some, but not that much.  Like an inch or two.  Must be barrel harmonics or something.

Try some different subs; Hornady 208, S&B 200gr, AE/Rem 220gr ... whatever.

I just zero my gun for 200yd point blank (MPBR) with 110gr supersonics and the subsonic wherever they end up.  Subs are just for fun anyways.  I keep frag-nasty 110gr supers in the gun for Home defense.  Who cares if they're not "ninja quiet"... they're quiet enough to save my ears some damage, the gun hits like a rifle instead of a pistol caliber, and if fired in doors doesn't not draw outside attention.

I have a thermal clip on though that can act as a stand-alone scope on, too... and for that I can program several zeros that encompass a couple different super and subsonic load and at a couple distances.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:58:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By RDTCU:

What prism/dot combo?
I have a few from 1x to 5x
View Quote

I have a PA 5x prism and their mrds on top.

Not the lightest setup, but does what it has to.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:17:46 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a PA 5x prism and their mrds on top.
https://i.imgur.com/NKZ3FYO.jpg
Not the lightest setup, but does what it has to.
View Quote

I've got a Vortex 5x with a Fastfire 3 on top, might give it another chance ...
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:07:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:24:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By bfoosh06:
I don't know if these are still being made... but it sure sounds like a possible way to help the sub to sonic bullet drop differences.

https://www.axeonoptics.com/axeon-second-zero

FWIW, I did e-mail them, and suggested this might be a item for 300BK AR's
View Quote

Just a nearly parallel prism, the included angle determines how much MOA shift, but it is fixed for a given lens, and only in the direction it is mounted in the unit.  No adjustability or accounting for horizontal shift
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:04:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#16]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:40:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KalmanPhilter] [#17]
A rear fold down peep sight like the MBUS Pro LR lets you adjust windage & elevation independent of your supers-zeroed red dot.  You can also cowitness it back to your supers-zeroed red dot and just use the 200-600 elevation dial for hold overs on supers.  

A cheaper alternative is something like a UTG but it doesn’t fold out of the way.

If you have shims you could try clocking your suppressor to see its impact. That won’t negate the difference between supers & subs though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:58:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ScoutH57] [#18]
Do you have a lot of that particular ammo? I'd just try different ammo types and see if other things are closer together on the windage.

I've shot a bunch of the AAC subsonic 220 OTM, Winchester 200 grain subsonic OT and 110 Barnes Tac TX, 110 Hornady Vmax, 110 gr AAC Sabre, 125 Grain AAC FMJ and its close enough that they very nearly match up with my ACOG 300 BLK reticle that has a "subsonic" side and "supersonic" side.    

That includes the same 7.5'' Faxon barrel you have and a 9'' SOLGW barrel.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:28:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#19]
Originally Posted By KalmanPhilter:
If you have shims you could try clocking your suppressor to see its impact. That won’t negate the difference between supers & subs though.
View Quote

This is a good point, if it's affected by the can.  It's a YHM Phantom Ti, and the baffles are angled monocore style.
I may repeat the testing without it, and if the horizontal shift is reduced then I'll mark and clock the mount by the equivalent degrees with shims and try again.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:36:17 AM EDT
[#20]
I just shoot 300 subs for fun at the range, so the optic is zerod for supers. I don't need to be precise magdumping subs into trash

that said if I had dedicated need/want to use both regularly, I would set one up for subs and one for supers. No worrying about it
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:43:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#21]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:
I just shoot 300 subs for fun at the range, so the optic is zerod for supers. I don't need to be precise magdumping subs into trash

that said if I had dedicated need/want to use both regularly, I would set one up for subs and one for supers. No worrying about it
View Quote

That's my other option, set up the Jakl for supers and dedicate the AR for subs.
At least until Holosun releases their thermal hybrid optic...

Attachment Attached File
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top