Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2024 2:50:25 AM EDT
I'm currently building a 601 clone. I'm planning on recreating the early receiver extension. I plan to weld the wrench plats on a modern tube, chuck it in a lathe and re contour it, and drill the hole for the spanner wrench at the front.
My question is regarding the hole for the spanner at the front.

1. Is it a single hole? or is there a second hole directly opposite it that doesn't show in pictures?

2. Any one have the measurement of how far the hole id from the edge of the receiver, ie. if you measured the face of the shoulder where it meets the receiver to the center point of the hole?

3. what is the diameter of the hole?

Any information is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:53:03 AM EDT
[#1]
It’s 2 holes directly opposite each other

Here’s the sizes…

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 2:46:16 AM EDT
[#2]
thank you so much
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:26:08 AM EDT
[#3]
You are very welcome :) welcome to the forums
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:39:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 17Liberty76:
You are very welcome :) welcome to the forums
View Quote

No, welcome to the addiction / retro rifles anonymous lol
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:49:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AmericanSheepDog:

No, welcome to the addiction / retro rifles anonymous lol
View Quote

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Straight FACTS!  LOL
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:11:12 PM EDT
[#6]
DIRTYOLDJEEP, will you do the welding yourself or are you going to shop that out?  I've been wanting to do the same for my 608 clone.

And, do you have an old Jeep?
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:21:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DIRTYOLDJEEP] [#7]
Hello, thanks for the welcomes.
I have a welder friend to do the work. I was actually just up at his place, we were going to do it at the time, but got to visiting, so he's going to weld it up over the week.
I got the retro bug way back when Copes had the A1 kits for $500 don't remember the year. I was still freshly married and starting a family so couldn't devote a ton of resources to the hobby at the time. BUT I made a 653 SBR, and A1, and a 604 at the time, traded the 604 to a friend for an old XR75, with current prices, he got the better end of that for sure. Now have 603 XM16E1, 603 A1 complete, as well as projects:  XM177E1, XM177E2, 604 (earlier version than the one I traded), 601, A2 with early features. And from A2 time period forward I've got a bunch of others, All the various M4 variations, Mk18 Mod1, Mk12 Mod0 ect.  My focus has become he "adopted" or more relevant versions of the M16/CAR/M4 family in US Military service.

Airforcemajor: I've had several old Jeeps at this point. My current Jeep is A 1999 WJ Grand Cherokee that I built up after selling my '79 CJ5 (still miss it). Grand Cherokee is the 4.7 V8 with an IRO 6.5" long arm lift, 35" tires on built JK D44s with 4.56 gears, Eaton Elockers front and rear, and a Atlas 4 transfer case. among other things.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:57:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I've only had two Jeeps, and still have them, a 1952 CJ3A I bought when I was in high school and a 1950 CJ3A I bought a few months ago. The '52 came from New Hampshire and has had numerous rust repairs over the years. I have an MD Juan tub for it and am slowly putting it back together.  The '50 is from New Mexico and in much better shape.  Fun vehicles.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I really like the flat fender Jeeps. one day I may have one.
To stay on topic, I will post Pictures of my modified receiver extension when altered, and again when I get it back from re-anodizing.
One other thing I'm going to try out. I got a Brown Brownells stock, and am painting it Green. I noticed the brownells stock is hollow with a removable structure in it. I'm going to try filling it with A closed cell expanding foam, like my originals. I think this stuff should be close to the right stuff: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08R7TX8QJ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
debating on using the internal structure Brownells provides of just the foam.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:45:56 PM EDT
[#10]
When I made my AR-10 stock I used Great Stuff Window and Door foam that I got from Home Depot.  The Window and Door foam doesn't expand as much as the other foams and I was concerned that an over expanding foam could bulge the sides.  I don't know what your stock looks like but was able to add the buttplate end after I foamed the interior.  That way I wasn't concerned about trying to calculate the interior volume and then inject the exact amount required so as to not over fill it and change its shape.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top