BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2024 6:01:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Epeeblack]
Howdy,

I remember back in the day, I could always remove my A2 handguards alone, without a "buddy" or a "handguard tool."

For some reason, nearly every AR15 upper I have purchased in recent years, 20-inch or 16-inch, have handguards that are very hard to remove. I am not sure if it's the handguard lip being wrong, due to poor modern product, or the delta ring being too tight. Either way, it requires a lot of fuss to remove them.

Anyone else notice this?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:19:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Older, arthritic hands...
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:46:51 PM EDT
[#2]
That's a logical possibility.

But not in my case. I'm only in my fifties and have no arthritis in my hands.

But thanks for commenting.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:31:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Possible better, thicker, stronger, weld springs. I went through a weld spring fiasko a few months ago. I am in the middle of about 6 or so builds. I had bought a few cheap delta ring kits. The spot welds on the weld springs just looked cheap. So then my OCD got the best of me. I went pulling on all I had. Several of them just fell apart. Very crappy spot welds. I did not want that happening months or years down the road after I finished a build. So every order I made from Numrich, JSE, etc. I always ordered a couple weld springs with my order. I ended up with a couple dozen or so weld springs from different places when it was all over. I wanted to use the best made ones. I noticed some were thin and real easy to pull back but some were a lot tougher. I also noticed some of the newer ones were a lot stiffer than some the older ones I had in my parts bins for years ago too. My AR from the 90s can almost be pulled back with 2 fingers. The newer ones take a whole hand.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:40:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Ever install Magpul MOE SL handguards?  Better start a workout regimen and have some ibuprofen on stand-by.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:43:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Weld springs are hit and miss, some are insanely stiff and some are way to easy to compress. I prefer ones that feel in between too weak and too strong. I'll I buy are the Colt weld springs through Brownells and though the welds are fine, the spring tension on them ranges.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:46:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sgtlmj:
Ever install Magpul MOE SL handguards?  Better start a workout regimen and have some ibuprofen on stand-by.  
View Quote

I tried those once. IMO, plastic handguards should be easy to install and remove. I couldn't even get the SLs installed so I gave up on them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:50:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I had to remove some plastic on a set of carbine hand guards to get them to fit.  There was no way they were going on.  I had help too.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:21:03 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't think it's anthing to do with A2 or modern parts.
I have a early 90's Colt H Bar Match Target.
It's an SOB to get the handguards off.
Also have a pre '86 Colt transferable M16a1.
While I have never fired the upper, I have taken the handguards off to wipe down the barrel, and it too is an SOB

RCA
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:22:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Order this, or a similar tool from a number of different manufacturers.

https://www.primaryarms.com/real-avid-easy-grip-handguard-removal-tool-for-ar-15

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:57:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the replies.

This all makes a lot of sense. And yes, I did try a set of MOE handguards last year and sent them back because I found them impossible to install!

Be well.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top