Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/19/2024 11:40:07 AM EDT
I know this topic has been done to death and I do not mean to beat a dead horse, but I believe the horse twitched so why not smack it one more time. Who currently makes the best aluminum "GI" style ar mags. I know Okay Industries is out of the game, and I just looked on Brownells website and they do not have any. I spoke to a customer service rep and he said they are no longer carrying the Brownells Aluminum magazines. I would like to find a good aluminum mag that is readily available and reasonably priced. I have ordered some D&H mags already but I did not know if there are any other options that may be better. Also, is there anything that make the old aluminum mags special? I have seen them in the EE for $30-$60 a piece. Are they really all that great or is it just the fact that they cannot be bought anymore? Thanks in advance folks.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 11:45:45 AM EDT
[#1]
D&H are GTG.
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 4:57:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Supposed to be Okay mags
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 11:47:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By funnelcake:
D&H are GTG.
View Quote

This.  D&H are the best recently made aluminum mags, IME.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:32:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cinghiale99] [#4]
Originally Posted By Doc25:
Also, is there anything that make the old aluminum mags special? I have seen them in the EE for $30-$60 a piece. Are they really all that great or is it just the fact that they cannot be bought anymore? Thanks in advance folks.
View Quote

Any opinion on OP's question? If you could get aluminum or steel, which ones would you prefer (and maybe, why?).
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By cinghiale99:

Any opinion on OP's question? If you could get aluminum or steel, which ones would you prefer (and maybe, why?).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cinghiale99:
Originally Posted By Doc25:  Also, is there anything that make the old aluminum mags special? I have seen them in the EE for $30-$60 a piece. Are they really all that great or is it just the fact that they cannot be bought anymore? Thanks in advance folks.

HD mags, range mags, behind the lines mags?  Steel.

Carry mags?  Aluminum or plastic.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 12:55:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By JGCWK08:
Supposed to be Okay mags
View Quote

They must have a massive stockpile of those Okay mags. I've been seeing this link reposted several times these past few months and they still aren't sold out yet. Price is definitely fair for mags still in demand that are no longer in production.

Link Posted: 2/22/2024 1:00:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By GI-45:

They must have a massive stockpile of those Okay mags. I've been seeing this link reposted several times these past few months and they still aren't sold out yet. Price is definitely fair for mags still in demand that are no longer in production.

View Quote

Is there actual confirmation these are okay?
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 6:22:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#8]
Originally Posted By ChemTrailZ:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GI-45:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Okay-Surefeed-20rd-are-they-coming-back-/17-784014/?page=1

See post #4, 23, and 24.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 7:21:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Did Brownells stop making their mags?
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 7:30:18 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

I purchased 8 20s. They are Okay's
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 8:12:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: j3_] [#11]
Originally Posted By JellyBelly:
Did Brownells stop making their mags?
View Quote

I think Brownell's 30's were Okay made mags for the last few years until they closed and they started selling the D&H made ones. Started looking Okay when their info relocated on the mag bodies to where okay positioned theirs and the gap on either side of the floorplate closed up. There were other stamping difference changes in the body that matched Okay also. The packing changed also and was similar to what Okay started using.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 10:17:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By j3_:

I think Brownell's 30's were Okay made mags for the last few years until they closed and they started selling the D&H made ones. Started looking Okay when their info relocated on the mag bodies to where okay positioned theirs and the gap on either side of the floorplate closed up. There were other stamping difference changes in the body that matched Okay also. The packing changed also and was similar to what Okay started using.
View Quote

I figured a massive company like Brownells would have their own stamping machinery by now.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 10:21:46 AM EDT
[#13]

I figured a massive company like Brownells would have their own stamping machinery by now.
View All Quotes

They used to at least. They were fulfilling USGI mag contracts with their own CAGE code stamped mags?
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 11:12:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#14]
Originally Posted By gtsteve03:

They used to at least. They were fulfilling USGI mag contracts with their own CAGE code stamped mags?
View All Quotes

Subbed to Co Line at one point in time.

Edit:

https://colinemfg.com/the-co-line-edge

Co-Line signs first Department of Defense contract, partnering with Brownells to produce the ammunition magazine for M16, M4 and AR15 rifles.

Supposedly Brownell's is currently working on releasing aluminum mags once again soon. I do not know the details.

Link Posted: 2/22/2024 11:30:14 AM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By j3_:  I think Brownell's 30's were Okay made mags for the last few years until they closed and they started selling the D&H made ones. Started looking Okay when their info relocated on the mag bodies to where okay positioned theirs and the gap on either side of the floorplate closed up. There were other stamping difference changes in the body that matched Okay also. The packing changed also and was similar to what Okay started using.

Think we had new Brownell's mags for Kuwait in 2013.  Maybe it was Iraq in 2010, but I had at least a couple of Colt floorplates in Iraq.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 12:29:19 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

@tgwldr I remember that thread, didn’t tag it since they were talking about 20s; wonder if there is confirmation on the 30s since that’s an excellent price on my preferred brand
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 12:46:24 PM EDT
[#17]

@tgwldr I remember that thread, didn’t tag it since they were talking about 20s; wonder if there is confirmation on the 30s since that’s an excellent price on my preferred brand
View All Quotes

The RRA link above in this thread shows 30 rd Okay Industries mags.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 1:21:31 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

I work for an Army contractor and we have a Brownells magazine in my boss's office that we found in a soldier's turned in kit.

Every payday when I'm online impulse buying stuff I look at Brownells to see if they're in stock so I can buy a few. I'm a little less annoyed thinking that they're going to the Army instead of just not being made. I just want to add their brand to my pile of mags.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 1:36:17 PM EDT
[#19]

I work for an Army contractor and we have a Brownells magazine in my boss's office that we found in a soldier's turned in kit.

Every payday when I'm online impulse buying stuff I look at Brownells to see if they're in stock so I can buy a few. I'm a little less annoyed thinking that they're going to the Army instead of just not being made. I just want to add their brand to my pile of mags.
View All Quotes

I've got a few dozen, some of my favorite mags.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 1:44:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

View Quote

I should put more caffeine in my coffee or get more sleep because I glossed over that at least twice

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 1:50:55 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

Okay and NHMTG in the same order for me. Same mag, different finish. Post #2 on page 2 of the same thread.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 2:00:58 PM EDT
[#22]

I should put more caffeine in my coffee or get more sleep because I glossed over that at least twice

Thanks
View Quote

Originally Posted By eric496:

Okay and NHMTG in the same order for me. Same mag, different finish. Post #2 on page 2 of the same thread.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/22/2024 3:51:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 12:44:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for all the replies folks. Does anybody know if the Okay mags that RRA has listed on their site have Magpul followers, or are they something else? I am curious for both the 20 and 30 round varieties.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 3:06:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for all the replies folks. Does anybody know if the Okay mags that RRA has listed on their site have Magpul followers, or are they something else? I am curious for both the 20 and 30 round varieties.
View Quote

If they're straight 20s, Magpul followers won't help any.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 4:43:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

View Quote

What do you mean?
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 5:12:04 PM EDT
[#27]

What do you mean?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:

What do you mean?

Self leveling followers are for curved mags.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 5:23:18 PM EDT
[#28]

Self leveling followers are for curved mags.
View Quote

Ah, gotcha. Forgive the noob question lol
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 5:53:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eric496] [#29]

Ah, gotcha. Forgive the noob question lol
View Quote

Since you're a noob: Okay and NHMTG are the same thing. Okay made them. They also made the aluminum mags for Colt for years. Different finish sometimes. No worries if you get either one or a mix. No idea how long RRA's supply will hold out and can't say for sure that they still have them. It's been a month since I ordered. Sounds like they do. I'd imagine that the price will go up when they resupply.

The RRA 10 round mags I bought are D&H. That's probably what they'll start shipping when their Okay/NHMTG 20s and 30s are gone. Good quality either way.

The 30s came with anti-tilt followers that I think are Magpul.

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 2:06:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Bravo_Six:

This.  D&H are the best recently made aluminum mags, IME.
View Quote

I bought a bunch of 30 round mags from PSA a year or so ago listed as D&H, but they had PSA base plates.

Never had a problem with them.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 8:42:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Supposed to be Okay mags
View Quote

Can confirm. Just got a box of 20’s yesterday
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 8:44:27 AM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

My unit had brownells cage code mags new in 2014
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 11:18:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By wood714:

I bought a bunch of 30 round mags from PSA a year or so ago listed as D&H, but they had PSA base plates.

Never had a problem with them.
View Quote

D&H supplies mags to many who sell with rebranded floor plates.

PSA
DSG
BCM

To name a few.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:56:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Supposed to be Okay mags
View Quote

They're okay

Honestly best quality at value. Other options are just as good and others better, but the cost is the rate-determining step, to borrow from chemistry class parlance.

Don't worry, soon with Magpul and Maztech's goal of replacing proven Army mags with their smart baseplate-equipped polymer junkies, aluminum mags will be a thing of the past

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 11:10:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Got my RRA 20 and 30 round mags Thursday. Here is what's currently shipping.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/24/2024 11:12:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 12:36:51 PM EDT
[#37]
This thread just cost me some $$$.  Ordered 6 more even though I have quite a few mags already (never enough says the devil on my right shoulder).  Will try to update when I get mine if they are Okay or D&H etc.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 12:39:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Yeah, me too. Can't help it.
Put away more than a few HKs too. Ive heard of issues with FTF etc with these, but I haven't had any problems personally.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top