Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/19/2024 8:31:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DemoknotRooster]
I have a Windham Weaponry .308 20" made mostly from the original Bushmaster. I have have more and more malfunctions since getting closer to the 100 round breaking and now probably have 140 rounds through it. I have been shooting 7.62X51 NATO FMJ through it and a couple of mags of other ammo. No reloads! I have changed the Gas block to Superlative Arms Adjustable and added 2 grams more of weight to the buffer. On time before last before I did the upgrades I had 15 malfunctions out of 17 rounds. After I did the upgrades I had 4 malfunctions out of 35 rounds 3 were failure t feed and one failure to eject (the failure to eject probably due to tuning the gas block) . I took it home tore it down and discovered a burr on the feed ramps and a little sharpness on the end of each ramp I did a little Dremel filing on the burr and sharp ends as i noticed on the defective rounds gauging and scratches on the unspent ejected rounds. I also polished the feed ramp. Is there anything I might have missed? I know Windham Weaponry (formally the old Bushmaster is a decent rifle. Everything is torqued to spec. Magpul Magazines 20 round.

But I am more than just a little frustrated.
And the Mrs. is tarting to ask "How Much Did you put into it again!!!!???"
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:54:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Now you’re going to spend a little more lol.  Buy some ammo and test your dremel work.
Those burrs could have been the only problem.

What mags and ammo are you using?
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 9:02:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Magpul 20 round and NATO standard issue FMJ 7.62X51
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 9:43:51 AM EDT
[#3]
What kind of malfunctions are you getting.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 10:18:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Failure to feed mostly
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:06:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 5:10:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DemoknotRooster] [#6]
The Butt Stock is a FAB Defense RAPS, A2 Rifle length, a vast majority of the issues occurred with a 5.4 oz buffer, I traded out 3 steel weights for 3 tungsten weights making it 7.4 oz. Not gram. The buffer Spring is the same as before the additional weight as I cannot find a a rifle A2 tube spring that is harder.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:00:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dano523] [#7]
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 6:24:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#8]
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 1:22:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DemoknotRooster] [#9]
When i reload my mags I will check the origin of the ammunition.

Concerning the spent brass, will do as soon as I get the chance to shoot again we got a nor'easter coming in tonight and below zero tomorrow.

As for the hold open it holds open after last round in mag is spent so I assume its not under gassed. Brass ejects to the 4:30-5:00 position.

There was a burr and some really sharp areas on the feed ramp that looked like it had been there from the machining and fitting from production.

The gas block is aligned perfectly and spaced were it is supposed to be and is torqued and Loctited.

To your point about lubricating I applied Hopps elite gun oil to the top and bottom of the bolt carrier.

I cleaned to GI inspection when I got home.

This time when I shoot I will use CLP instead of the Hopps Elite.

For polishing and removing the burr I removed the barrel and extension from the upper and reinstalled after polishing and cleaning with the proper torque for the Midwest Industries free float hand guard.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 2:00:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#10]
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 2:24:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Absolutely love this diagram. Outstanding HOOAH! lots of things I have forgotten since 1992 and receiving my DD214 and graduating to civilian from a former US Army 12B Combat Engineer.
Next time ill give her lots of loving and make sure she is well lubed LOL.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 1:00:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DemoknotRooster:
The Butt Stock is a FAB Defense RAPS, A2 Rifle length, a vast majority of the issues occurred with a 5.4 oz buffer, I traded out 3 steel weights for 3 tungsten weights making it 7.4 oz. Not gram. The buffer Spring is the same as before the additional weight as I cannot find a a rifle A2 tube spring that is harder.
View Quote

Are you using an AR-10 spring or an AR-15 rifle spring?
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:49:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Slash at Heavy buffers can help with correct buffer and spring.  I went with the heaviest full length buffer and his spring. My 20” runs smooth with slow push recoil.

Try taking your bolt and soaking overnight in mobile one synthetic oil. Shake off the excess and install wet. This tip has been shared and proven.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:47:43 PM EDT
[#14]
WOW! Isn't that a little overkill? I'm not runnin Full Auto...
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:49:04 PM EDT
[#15]
AR .308
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 8:03:23 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

I had a box stock dpms lr308 that was exhibiting the same issue as yours, and it was amazing how much oil I had to put on that BCG to get it through a full mag trouble free, but it really worked.  After a few hundred rounds it seemed to break in and ran with just a normal lubing.

You have done a lot of changes on yours, so I’ll defer to our experts.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:31:01 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

I run his buffers in all four of my semi-auto AR-10B's.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:22:12 PM EDT
[#18]
So, I went polished the receiver and shaved down a burr and some very sharp points. I went to the range and shot 60 rounds through it NATO 7.62X51 standard. Before I shot I lubed it with CLP liberally. Fired 3 rounds to adjust the Gas Block. The rest shot without any malfunctions. Shot  2" groups at 100 yards. So I guess that's good since it wasn't match grade. But then again I wasn't there for marksmanship but to test for malfunctions.
Thank You everyone for your advice and tips. i used a lot of them. i didn't soak the bolt carrier in 10W40 though LOL. Just CLP in the points in the manual of arms.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:34:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top