Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/21/2024 3:10:00 PM EDT
My setup is a unknown parts makeup upper from KM Tactical, 18" heavy barrel with mid length gas system NB BCG. Lower is a Anderson with a PSA MOE carbine parts kit. With a YHM R9 suppressor with QD mount.

I put this together to be my deer rifle for 9 days out of the year, with 170gr Hornady's I'm very pleased out to 300 yards.

The rest off the year I'd like to keep it set up for subs with my digital day/night scope (think racoons in the trash) but of course it's too under gassed to function.

I had a extra carbine spring on hand and tried cutting one coil of at a time with one round trying to get the BCG to lock back. I'm down to 7 3/8" from 10 1/2" and it's still not running right but close. All this with a 3oz buffer and Hornady 250gr subs. Bolt will lock on the mag follower now. I feel any shorter is pushing my luck.

My next idea is a light weight buffer and reduced power spring and adjustable gas block. Links for what I'm looking at.
https://slrrifleworks.com/sentry-7-set-screw-adjustable-gas-block/
https://www.tacticallink.com/taccom-ultra-lightweight-carbine-buffers-and-spring-system-combo-kit-for-ar15-style-rifles.html
It would be nice to have a adjustable gas block for tuning for the 170's suppressed also.

Or I could try a adjustable weight buffer, one I saw goes down to 1.7oz. That with a 10% reduced spring might work.

Thoughts gentlemen?
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 7:28:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Adjustable gas block won't do shit until you open the gas port up. Not enough gas getting through your already wide open block, adjustable one won't make more gas appear until the barrel is drilled.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 7:59:58 PM EDT
[#2]
So I'll drill the barrel to .125 since that's the largest opening in the SLR Sentry gas block I picked out. Unless someone recommends another adjustable. I'll need one to turn it down for sonics suppressed. Guess I'll try that before a lighter buffer and spring. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:58:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: racer765] [#3]
cutting coils off the spring increases spring rate, the opposite of what you need to do.  

try a reduced rate spring.  

distance traveled by the bcg/buffer only depends on two things, the energy coming into the bcg from the gas system and the spring rate.

opening up the gas system increases the energy coming in.  

reducing spring rate lets the same amount of energy get stored in the spring moving rearward farther, and then returned to the bcg/buffer as kinetic energy going forward.

eta:

wait.  

it bho on an empty mag?  feeds correctly?  ejects reliably?  with just a modified buffer spring?

what's the problem?
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:33:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks racer, I'll give a reduced buffer spring a try. I've seen 10 and 20% reduced but not from one vendor so more searching needed to save on shipping.
So you don't think buffer weight plays into it? I was thinking less mass needed for the low amount of gas. Just curious.
I just want to get it to run with subs, the cheaper the better.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 2:55:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dano523] [#5]
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 3:59:24 PM EDT
[#6]
More good info Dano, thanks.  And your quote "touching the void" will stay with me, very mystic sounding. Joined this forum to learn what I don't know and I also enjoy all the BSing that goes on.

Still leaning towards the SLR adjustable block but looking at others.

Link Posted: 3/25/2024 2:33:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:32:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Update for posterity. IT RUNS! I drilled the gas port in the barrel to .125 from .09, installed a SLR adjustable gas block (highly recommended), used a carbine buffer emptied out to 1oz, and a Springco yellow 20% reduced power spring. It took all four mods to get the bolt to lock where it should.

Shooting suppressed at a gong off my porch at 50 yards my family inside hears the brass hitting the wood floor and the 250gr smacking steel.

Thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 10:50:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sbird:
Update for posterity. IT RUNS! I drilled the gas port in the barrel to .125 from .09, installed a SLR adjustable gas block (highly recommended), used a carbine buffer emptied out to 1oz, and a Springco yellow 20% reduced power spring. It took all four mods to get the bolt to lock where it should.

Shooting suppressed at a gong off my porch at 50 yards my family inside hears the brass hitting the wood floor and the 250gr smacking steel.

Thanks for the help guys.
View Quote

Fantastic, thanks for the update!
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top