BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/18/2023 9:42:27 AM EDT
I am considering an Aero lower and upper (m4e1). I see nothing but positive reviews, but am interested in real owner experiences, not just paid youtubers. Are these great quality components? Anything I should look for or avoid? Are they as great as everyone says?

Just as an aside, I am also considering a DDM4V7 (a bit pricey, and possibly more than I need), SA Saint Victor (seemingly a great, underrated product), and Colt EPR (not a Colt fan, but I can’t deny the brand has a lot of followers).

Interested in experience with Aero (and the others if you have experience).
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 9:45:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Solid, affordable components. I've never had a problem with their receivers or parts kits. These are the only components I have direct experience with.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 9:52:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Have plenty of their parts in guns, all top notch.  One of my preferred brands.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 9:53:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I’ve used Aero components on several builds, never any issues…
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 9:57:09 AM EDT
[#4]
It seems to be the builders choice nowadays. I have a few of their lowers. The M4e1 is great and has a lot of features that I'm surprised comes in the affordable price. They're not considered high end and not considered poverty so you won't be turning any heads.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 10:08:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#5]
Frankly, it’s an upper and a lower.  So long as you can machine stuff and have a semi-decent anodizer, it’s kind of hard to mess them up.

Aero has always been solid in my opinion, buy with confidence.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 10:08:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BigFatDog] [#6]
I have several guns built from Aero parts and actually use the things.

My main complaint is that the finish wears much faster than on any of my other guns. I’m not typically concerned with finishes on my guns either. I like the gear well enough that I’m considering a curing oven so I can do some sort of refinishing.

Other than that I consider them equal to my Springfield Saint.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 3:40:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TrailerTrash556] [#7]
I had three stripped receivers that I purchased like that. Not a single issue putting parts in them.

The threaded hole at the back for the pin detent is incredible
Eta
I'm not sure which models have that threaded hole.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 5:15:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stowe] [#8]
I've used a bunch. 1 was with the "enhanced" M4E1 upper. I wouldnt go that route. It sounds good on paper, but realistically gains you nothing and limits your handguard options. The standard sets are great though. Well made and have nice little touches like a machined in trigger guard, threaded mag catch screw etc. They're a bit more money than a PSA receiver set, but not a big deal when you price out what the whole build is going to cost you.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 5:28:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Their receivers are fine.  Avoid their optics mounts.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 12:25:48 PM EDT
[#10]
They offer some neat color sets.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I have one. Complete M4E1 upper bought on sale put on an M4E1 lower. It works great and currently resides in the corner of my bedroom. Accurate enough and 100% reliable.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#12]
$1199 for the EPR is going to be pretty hard to beat for the $$$ & you wind-up with a better rifle IMO.

https://armsunlimited.com/colt-m4-carbine-enhanced-patrol-rifle/

Why not a Colt fan?
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 7:47:53 PM EDT
[#13]
That is admittedly a good price. I have nothing against them. I have owned one in the past. I just think for what you get, you seem to be paying a premium for the logo. Compared against the saint victor or the aero m4e1 it is $300+ more, but less features. I would be curious to know whether the rifles they sell today are pretty much the same rifles the sold 30 or more years ago.

That being said, the price you posted for the EPR is very tempting. They certainly seem to hold their value better.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 8:49:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Gotcha - I had not looked at the Saint Victor - does look like a nice, pretty well thought out rifle.  Appears they're within $1-200 bucks of each other.  

I wish Colt would do more mid-length 16" stuff & I know the alleged story on 9310 bolts, etc. but would give the nod to the Colt barrel & BCG.  The SA rail looks nice but still a nod to the Centurion.  The Victor has different furniture options - all are good/comparable.  Sights - the MBUS Pro's on the EPR...  The SA sights appear decent but are (to me) an unknown.

And as you say, the Colt will do a significantly better job holding it's value/resale value.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 10:26:25 PM EDT
[#15]
I've had great luck with Aero products and their family of brands. If you are building from a pile of pieces it is a great way to go.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 11:02:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I've had good luck with them.  Right now, they're in a fight with the state of Washington to stay in business.  New Washington law prohibits manufacturing or AR platform firearms or parts in the state.  They have a temporary carve out especially for Aero, but it's not permanent.  I'd support them in any way possible.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 11:25:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm a dealer for them, I have no complaints.  I've never received a complaint from a customer.  My primary deer rifle is a 16" M5 and my truck gun is a 16" EPC.  Buy with confidence.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 10:53:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SC4eyes] [#18]
My first AR, I built from Aero bare upper and lower with their small parts except barrel and trigger.
I did lap the front face of the upper square to the bore for the barrel.

I used a Lothar Walther barrel and Larue MBT trigger and SLR adjustable gas block. I am satisfied with these results, no stoppages and:

All shots at 100 yards.
Still over $200 cheaper than COLT, but I am sure resale would be less. But why would I sell a rifle that works like this?
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 11:22:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jwliv180] [#19]
Good quality. I think the M4E1 lowers are arguably the best value for dollar among "enhanced" lowers. They don't have all of the bells and whistles, but those they do have, are those most people would want. At least that's my impression.

Machining quality has always been good.

Re the uppers, I suppose they're fine but unless I'm looking for a special feature, e.g. larger port for a different cartridge, slick sides, etc, I don't usually care much who makes the upper so long as it is in spec and well made. No complaints with Aero uppers, just in my case I haven't noticed anything that makes me seek them as a first option.

Link Posted: 6/20/2023 11:27:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Duck_Hunt] [#20]
If looking for receivers I’d buy the mega/zev upper lower forged set on cdnn and then buy a quality barrel, trigger, bcg etc.

Aeros work fine but they are upper bottom tier imho (Speaking of their complete rifles in general).  I’m sure there isn’t much difference if using just their receiver sets with quality parts sourced elsewhere.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 11:30:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TrailerTrash556:
The threaded hole at the back for the pin detent is incredible.
View Quote

About 30 seconds with a #4-40 tap and a drop of oil, will add that feature to any lower.  And a diagonal cutter will let you easily shorten the detent spring (which you need to do regardless). Definitely worth adding to your AR builder's toolkit.

Unless you break off the tap there is literally no downside to doing this that I know of.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 11:32:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#22]
Never had an issue. The M4E1 recievers are well designed. No roll pins which is nice is you want to change the bolt catch later on. Won't need another roll pin. Set screw to tighten reciever slop up.

I have expensive rifles built on Aero recievers. And don't regret it one bit.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 1:27:40 PM EDT
[#23]
@funnelcake you have convinced me to take a harder look at the Colt and that is the direction I am leaning at the moment. What’s unclear to me is whether the “cr” and the “le” rifles are the same. They appear to be, but are priced slightly different. I have found the “cr” version for $1,149.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 5:22:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By jwliv180:

About 30 seconds with a #4-40 tap and a drop of oil, will add that feature to any lower.  And a diagonal cutter will let you easily shorten the detent spring (which you need to do regardless). Definitely worth adding to your AR builder's toolkit.

Unless you break off the tap there is literally no downside to doing this that I know of.
View Quote

Absolutely true. I had never considered it before dealing with a threaded lower but from here on out they will all get threaded
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 7:06:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By tawaggs:
@funnelcake you have convinced me to take a harder look at the Colt and that is the direction I am leaning at the moment. What’s unclear to me is whether the “cr” and the “le” rifles are the same. They appear to be, but are priced slightly different. I have found the “cr” version for $1,149.
View Quote

I’d get the best deal.  Fundamentally no difference except the price.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 9:37:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Aero Precision makes a good product.

No issues with anything Aero that I've bought.
Link Posted: 6/23/2023 10:53:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hiker1911] [#27]
Forget the "they are all alike" crowd comments. Blem vs, non-blem, or 'forged receiver' is only part of the equation.

What do you want? The AP M4E1 platform is above average. You decide if you are seeking the lowest cost, or other criteria that may encompass higher cost products, too.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 8:30:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#28]
I’ve had a bunch of M4E1 builds over the years. They’re my preferred non ambi lower. Not too big on their other products, but the M4E1 receivers are good to go.

Link Posted: 7/3/2023 8:59:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By tawaggs:
I am considering an Aero lower and upper (m4e1). I see nothing but positive reviews, but am interested in real owner experiences, not just paid youtubers. Are these great quality components? Anything I should look for or avoid? Are they as great as everyone says?

Just as an aside, I am also considering a DDM4V7 (a bit pricey, and possibly more than I need), SA Saint Victor (seemingly a great, underrated product), and Colt EPR (not a Colt fan, but I can’t deny the brand has a lot of followers).

Interested in experience with Aero (and the others if you have experience).
View Quote

I have several Aero uppers, but no Aero marked Lowers.

But I do have a Ballistic Advantage Enhanced Lower.  Ballistic Advantage (BA) is owned by Aero, and they made the lower for BA, but used BA roll marks.

And they are still on sale for $69.99

BA AR-15 ENHANCED LOWER RECEIVER  

Why spend more on a Aero Marked Lower??  Just mate this lower with the upper of your choice.  

My BA Lower is mated with a Midwest Industries Forged Upper.  The fit is excellent.  I didn't use an Aero upper because I had the Midwest one on hand already.

FORGED AR UPPER, COMPLETE

Link Posted: 7/3/2023 9:04:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: drfroglegs] [#30]
I only build Aero m4e1 lowers/uppers now (except retro stuff) . In my opinion they're the best for your money sets you can get. Basically all the benefits of a billet set but still the strength of forged.

I have seriously built 12 of them for me and family/friends.
Link Posted: 10/10/2023 1:01:10 PM EDT
[#31]
I've got Colt, Knight and Aeros.  I just bought more Aero parts yesterday for my pencil barrel build.  Right now, the way I have one of my Aeros set up, it's my favorite to shoot.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 10:46:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Piratepast40:
I've had good luck with them.  Right now, they're in a fight with the state of Washington to stay in business.  New Washington law prohibits manufacturing or AR platform firearms or parts in the state.  They have a temporary carve out especially for Aero, but it's not permanent.  I'd support them in any way possible.
View Quote

That sucks for them! What a bunch of Commies to pass laws like that to hurt business within their state.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 10:55:49 PM EDT
[#33]
I have purchased a few of Aero’s “Oops” parts kits and have been satisfied w/ them. I have been tempted to buy an OD Green upper / lower from them, but haven’t bit the bullet yet. I can’t give you much insight on them other than that. I do have a Colt Trooper carbine and a Colt AR15A4 rifle and love them! They are very nice shooters.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 12:02:15 AM EDT
[#34]
I used Aero parts on everything for my first build, it hasn't missed a beat in a few thousand rounds. One of my more accurate ones too (16" .223 wylde)
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 4:37:23 PM EDT
[#35]
I have had many friends buy Aero parts and they all seem to be happy with them, so I bought one and it seems solidly built.
Link Posted: 11/1/2023 4:53:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By JoeDevola:
Have plenty of their parts in guns, all top notch.  One of my preferred brands.
View Quote

Bingo.  +1.  Etc.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 9:36:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Has anybody had issues with their pre-painted stripped lowers? I am about to dive into a build with one and I have heard there might be a few issues with paint being too thick in spots.
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 1:43:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By NavalDiplomat:
Has anybody had issues with their pre-painted stripped lowers? I am about to dive into a build with one and I have heard there might be a few issues with paint being too thick in spots.
View Quote

No experience with a painted Aero lower, however I have run into other maker's lowers with thicker paint.  All I had to do was use a drill bit the same size as the holes to clean out the over-spray.  I didn't have to chuck up the drill bit, just used the bit with my fingers to shave down the paint.
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 1:46:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Their AR10 components have been top notch!
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 8:05:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#40]
The only thing their lower is not good at is being lightweight. My favorite receiver set for affordable lower/upper that is at least under USGI basic weight is the M4E1 lower and no forward assist upper from Aero. I am less a fan of the M4E1 uppers because they offer no advantage for my use compared to more standard uppers that weigh less. At least the M4E1 lower gives an integrated trigger guard and screw in bolt catch pin to make assembly easier. Both the standard Aero lower and M4E1 lower offer rear takedown spring capture and receiver tensioning screws. The no forward assist upper just offers a half ounce of extra weight for chonky billet style looks.

Aero does have a nice consistent semigloss black anodization or consistent FDE finish instead of the chalky or random gray tone of standard USGI receivers.

I will say some older standard Areo lowers were all over the place on several dimensions. Sometimes the internals were machined off center. Sometimes you had excessive wall thickness on one side of the lower and too little on the other and other small details. The M4E1 lowers are MUCH more consistent.

I guess the same could be said for the uppers too. I have purchased at least two different styles of no forward assist standard forged uppers from Aero, probably because they sourced them from an outside vendor at one point.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 7:54:11 PM EDT
[#41]
For the most part, Aero is good kit.

The only issue I’ve ever had was with their barrel provider which sold me two crappy pencil barrels, but I just don’t use their barrels in anything anymore, ever.
Link Posted: 11/9/2023 8:26:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Those OD Green Anodized receivers are calling my name.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 5:49:12 PM EDT
[#43]
I have the Aero M4E1 lower with a no-name (Anchor Harvey forge) and I have nothing bad to say about the lower, it fits well, goes bang when I pull the trigger.
would buy again

Link Posted: 11/13/2023 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Their receivers are fine for the most part.

If I were building, I'd be fine with using an Aero lower/upper.

I'd go elsewhere for the barrel and trigger.  IME, you can buy budget parts for most of an ar build, but your mechanical accuracy is in the barrel and a good trigger helps wring the most out of it.  Don't skimp on these two things.

Me personally, If I were considering a Daniel Defense or Colt I'd just get the DD or the Colt.
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 6:02:58 PM EDT
[#45]
All my Aero stuff has been great
Link Posted: 11/13/2023 6:22:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By PlaysWithAtoms:
Those OD Green Anodized receivers are calling my name.
View Quote

Just did an M5 build on Aero green anodized receivers. I like them, but, beware, the green is much less drab than shown on the website. Pretty similar to the Geissele green anodizing.
Link Posted: 12/22/2023 7:42:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AR-Admirer] [#47]
I recently put together a standard Aero lower with an Aero parts kit for a pistol build. I bought a factory Aero 300 BLK 8” barreled upper to complete the pistol. It runs great with subs and supers so far. I am pleased with the quality, fit and finish.

If you have the money, buy one of the more expensive models from a premium manufacturer if it will make you feel better. You want to be happy with your purchase.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 12:22:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tiribulus] [#48]

On a completely unrelated note, I put one of those Magpul dust covers in a PSA upper yesterday. Much better than I expected.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 11:07:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Aero is fine. I’ve owned several higher end brands and there’s nothing inferior about them when it comes to reliability. I think people get caught up(myself included) in the what’s popular on the expensive price tag spectrum but that’s all it is….this pattern exists in every market you can name. Of course, there are Ambi options on some of the expensive offerings but as far as reliability and accuracy, I’d be willing to put my aero receiver built rifles beside the “best” of them.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 1:54:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Aero's sibling company Ballistic Advantage has some good sales every now and then.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top