Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2024 9:52:27 AM EDT
Any one have any experience with them?
Thinking about using one on my Aug to mount a tr24. I don’t need qd, but I want light weight and low profile on the rail. The price is very good as long as they work.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:07:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Aero Precision? They are outstanding.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:08:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Not a fan myself I have seen multiple of them fail.  The idea of saving weight by giving up screws and moving to the tension hook sounds good in idea but in practice I have seen multiple of them fail.  To get the scope in tight you have to put a fair amount of tension against the hooking surface and that is exactly where I have seen them develop cracks.  One of my best friends went through three before giving up and getting a different mount.  Either the mount would not stay tight and the scope had slight movement or if the scope was tight the mount started developing cracks in the locking top.  

I would personally get a mount that has screws that lock down the scope on all sides over relying on the system Aero uses the weight savings is really not that much in the grand scheme of things.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:46:36 AM EDT
[#3]
For a range toy they’re fine. For anything that might see any kind of serious use, look for something more durable.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:49:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Kinda of crappy.  They’re a pain to get the scope leveled and as already stated, they’ve had numerous documented durability issues with cracks developing around the “hook” interface at the top of the rings.

It’s more expensive, but if you want low profile and lightweight, Reptilia AUS is the answer.  Lanbo’s Armory typically has the best pricing on them.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:21:33 AM EDT
[#5]
If you’re gonna build an ultralight rifle where durability and dependability are secondary then yeah it’s probably fine.

I had one and couldn’t stand it. It’s a pain in the ass to get it leveled and it just never really held securely for what I wanted. I wasn’t shooting some massive 56 mm scope either, these were LPVO‘s for the most part.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:54:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I use them on my competition guns with the K18I and Razor 1-6s.

When I got my first one, I didn't pay attention to the torque specs and torqued it too tight. In about a month, the hinge point cracked. After talking to Aero about it, I now stop at 15 in/lbs and have not had a problem since.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:11:59 PM EDT
[#7]
They suck.  PITA to get the reticle level because the scope turns in the rings when you torque the screws.  I will have one in the EE soon because I swapped scopes on a gun and I refuse to F with it again.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:13:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:
Not a fan myself I have seen multiple of them fail.  The idea of saving weight by giving up screws and moving to the tension hook sounds good in idea but in practice I have seen multiple of them fail.  To get the scope in tight you have to put a fair amount of tension against the hooking surface and that is exactly where I have seen them develop cracks.  One of my best friends went through three before giving up and getting a different mount.  Either the mount would not stay tight and the scope had slight movement or if the scope was tight the mount started developing cracks in the locking top.  

I would personally get a mount that has screws that lock down the scope on all sides over relying on the system Aero uses the weight savings is really not that much in the grand scheme of things.
View Quote

Sounds like an installer issue - too much torque. You only need like 25in-lbs on the screws. The hook design is fine for the force applied.

I have had 4-5 over the years. Two on hunting rifles and have had zero issues. My main deer AR has had one on it for 5 years or so now, and it's fine. That rifle gets dropped, hit against trees and branches busting brush, etc. Zero checks out every year.

OP, they are solid mounts for the money if you want lighter and non-QD. I'm sure if you had an issue Aero would take care of it.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:16:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#9]
Originally Posted By Muad:

Sounds like an installer issue - too much torque. You only need like 25in-lbs on the screws. The hook design is fine for the force applied.

I have had 4-5 over the years. Two on hunting rifles and have had zero issues. My main deer AR has had one on it for 5 years or so now, and it's fine. That rifle gets dropped, hit against trees and branches busting brush, etc. Zero checks out every year.

OP, they are solid mounts for the money if you want lighter and non-QD. I'm sure if you had an issue Aero would take care of it.

View Quote
I was going to buy one a while back and found several photos of broken Aero mounts.  I just bit the bullet and bought another Larue.

There was a thread here a long time ago about them and there were several suggestions for better mounts.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:17:11 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Guy above says he stops at 15 in lbs after talking to Aero, presumably because his cracked somewhere near there.  So is it 15 or 25?  Or is it just a shit design with a material failure point way too close to the required torque value to keep a scope secure?

No thanks, I’ll take a mount that’ll totally crush a scope main tube before the ring caps are even close to cracking/failing.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:18:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:19:36 PM EDT
[#12]
a shit design with a material failure point way too close to the required torque value
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:44:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Got LaRue mounts, just trying to find something non qd, with a little less weight and a little cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:53:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 3-gun:
Got LaRue mounts, just trying to find something non qd, with a little less weight and a little cheaper.
View Quote

Reptilia.

Everything is cheaper than a Larue mount these days anyway.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:14:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JustDaniel] [#15]
I had them on three different guns. One broke when dropped during a relay when my sling failed. Four foot drop onto grass. It broke at the hinge and aero replaced it. A second one failed when part of a recoil lug sheered off. I didn’t notice it until I was switching it from an 11.5 556 to a 14.5 because the piece of lug was trapped in the upper receiver rail. Aero said that they had never seen that happen so maybe it was just an unnoticed machining defect. At any rate they replaced it as well. I then promptly sold all three and switched to ADM. Aero did right by replacing them but for anything outside of range use, I could never trust the mounts again. Just my two cents

ETA: I believe I still have the one with the broken lug. They didn’t want it back and I figured that it might still hold up on a rimfire plinker. If I can find it I’ll post a pic.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 1:20:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Had one that was torqued to spec (without loctite) come loose during a PRS match and cost me some points. I applied loctite and retorqued it, but sold it shortly afterwards as I didn’t trust it to sustain any kind of abuse.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:22:26 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

Does not matter if you follow Aero instructions or go lighter on the torque the mount is still trash.  Like others have mentioned they are difficult to level because as you apply the torque the scope usually twists in the mount.  If you apply to little torque then the scope moves and I have seen then on "properly installed" ones move or not hold zero.  Lastly the tension locking system is prone to the aluminium cracking I have seen in it on more than several occasions on friends of mine setups, random people at the range, and just do some searching on the internet it is well documented.  Why waste time, money, ammo, and risk damage to a nice optic with such a poor mount when much better and solid designs exists?  LaRue, ADM, Burris, and on and on make varying costs but leagues better mounts.  Just the ammo cost alone chasing a loose or broken mount is justification enough to buy a better mount.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:23:55 PM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

Catch the LT mounts on Primary Arms sale they come in about the same price they used to be before the LT price hike.  They had the LT204 in the sales email today I did not look at the price as I am not in need of a mount currently.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:30:19 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Look at the Warne X-Skel mounts.    Ive had one for years and have had no problems with it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:23:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Mcgiggles:

Look at the Warne X-Skel mounts.    Ive had one for years and have had no problems with it.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Mcgiggles:

Thank you, that looks like what I’m looking for
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:26:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#21]
I had an Aero Mount, it felt fragile. Ended up going back to the OEM Aimpoint Pro Mount. Also you had to clock your optic so that it properly rotates to be level. Otherwise it will cant clockwise once you torque down the set screw(s)

If I'm going light weight, I think I'm going with the UTG QD Mount.

Hate as much as you want, it's a nice product for the money. Sure as hell doesn't break like Aero does.

C_DOES Reviews.

UTG Accu-sync QR Mount - More Goodness

6.5 OZ QD Mount for $75. Yes Please! I wish the cross bolts were beefier/thicker. No real complaints beside it being made in China.

ADM is the superior option, but it weights more and costs 3x the price.

Warne is great if you don't want any QD, but the non QD UTG mounts also get a lot of praise.

The $40 Wonder Mount - UTG Leapers Accu-Sync
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:47:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Muad] [#22]

Does not matter if you follow Aero instructions or go lighter on the torque the mount is still trash.  Like others have mentioned they are difficult to level because as you apply the torque the scope usually twists in the mount.  If you apply to little torque then the scope moves and I have seen then on "properly installed" ones move or not hold zero.  Lastly the tension locking system is prone to the aluminium cracking I have seen in it on more than several occasions on friends of mine setups, random people at the range, and just do some searching on the internet it is well documented.  Why waste time, money, ammo, and risk damage to a nice optic with such a poor mount when much better and solid designs exists?  LaRue, ADM, Burris, and on and on make varying costs but leagues better mounts.  Just the ammo cost alone chasing a loose or broken mount is justification enough to buy a better mount.
View All Quotes

This is all new information to me - and I was previously in the firearms business. I feel like Aero would have corrected any issues like this, but I'll look into it either way considering your experiences. I'm very shocked by this information. Yes, mounting takes a little more patience, but it's not terrible.

Now, that all said, LaRue is my favorite and go-to. I have since transitioned to all LaRue scope mounts - save the .450BM AR previously mentioned. It still wears an Aero mount.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:56:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:56:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I've leveled a lot of scopes, and Aero's mount makes that task a bitch. I only had one and it was fine for light duty, but I've seen them break. Warne or ADM for me.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:03:38 PM EDT
[#25]
I have 2 they have been great. They’re a bitch to level. The DDM4V7LW has been on countless hog hunts in GA,AL and FL. Never lost zero and never had an issue.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:06:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:52:06 PM EDT
[#27]

This is all new information to me - and I was previously in the firearms business. I feel like Aero would have corrected any issues like this, but I'll look into it either way considering your experiences. I'm very shocked by this information. Yes, mounting takes a little more patience, but it's not terrible.

Now, that all said, LaRue is my favorite and go-to. I have since transitioned to all LaRue scope mounts - save the .450BM AR previously mentioned. It still wears an Aero mount.

View Quote

Do not misunderstand my dislike of this particular mount for dislike of Aero.  I think Aero makes good stuff but this one item I believe is complete trash just a poor design.  I am partial to the LT and ADM mounts myself.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:55:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#28]

Do not misunderstand my dislike of this particular mount for dislike of Aero.  I think Aero makes good stuff but this one item I believe is complete trash just a poor design.  I am partial to the LT and ADM mounts myself.
View All Quotes

Aero makes good stuff, but they can make some garbage on occasion.

For example their BUIS were fragile. They used an aluminum nut that was prone to cracking.

Atlas rails look sexy, but upon testing they had some really bad flex to them.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:08:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By_Destro:

For example their BUIS were fragile. They used an aluminum nut that was prone to cracking.

View Quote

I use poor people Magpul BUIS
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:18:16 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By_Destro:

Those did pretty well in regards to drop tests. Magpul had less POI shift than Troy did. Part of the reason is because they would just close shut if dropped. Also the polymer had some shock resistance too.

I really liked my Aero BUIS as far as the sight picture. Its a shame they just discontinued them outright. They could of been a really nice option.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:25:52 PM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

Totally get it. Agreed, they were my go to for receivers and parts for a long time.

Now I have an obsession with LaRue... lol

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:32:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Trash design, period.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:16:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By MRW:
I need a nutless permanent mount, and have 4 Aeros...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/5205/GM_22_build-2212329.jpg

the UTG looks promising.

View Quote

The UTG kicks Aero's asssss

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top