Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/20/2024 1:49:46 AM EDT
I was going thru a box and found this Colt mag, but it has a older style Okay base plate.

Somebody mix up the base plates?

Link Posted: 2/20/2024 4:39:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure somebody with more expertise will come along, but I think they've shipped out ones that don't have a Colt base plate, not to mention if they are G.I. surplus it would be quite easy to have base plates swapped around.  When I was in, we didn't really care what base plate was on which magazine.  That' was way back in the early-mid 90's though.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 7:37:55 AM EDT
[#2]
With Colt, all things are possible.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 9:39:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Not unusual at all to have been swapped or replaced over time, they are easy to damage. They are interchangeable, I've bought hundreds of USGI surplus mags with the wrong base plates.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 11:08:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got 2 of those ban era mags I picked up at a local surplus store (when you couldn't buy 'em). They both came with Okay baseplates. They also had the paracord/duct tape "mods".
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 4:01:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't forget, Okay made mags for Colt. Both brands carry the same CAGE codes.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 4:29:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a tub of old mags recently. Several Okay mags are stamped externally 33710 and 5-91 to 10-91 but do not have the Colt or LE/GOVT/EXPORT markings.
All the other Okay mags were stamped internally with 86 to 91 dates, but no external markings.
Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 5:58:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Seen that commonly.  Have couple just like that in the hundreds of used mags that I just received.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 3:29:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 8:15:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grumple] [#9]
Colt didn't even make their magazines to the best of my knowledge they were outsources to okay and may others.

Okay industries is very close to the Colt factory as well.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top