Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/29/2023 1:58:07 PM EDT
Now that OKAY is out of the business, and barring finding some odds and ends at retailers like Botach, what reliable alternative can one turn to in an aluminum magazine?
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 2:14:04 PM EDT
[#1]
D&H
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 2:27:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FALARAK:
D&H
View Quote

AKA PSA
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 2:58:49 PM EDT
[#3]
D&H
View Quote

Never had an issue with D&H mags.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 3:35:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#4]
Plenty of guys selling Okay mags on the secondary market. A few retailers with them as well.

If not Okay, D&H and Brownells are my next choices.

Shop the EE here.

Edit:

https://www.deguns.net/okay-industries-surefeed-556x45mm-nato-magazine-30-rounds-gray

And page 1 in the EE has both Surefeeds and D&H.
Link Posted: 12/29/2023 5:09:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Rock river arms still had stock of okay 20 and some 30 rd as well.  There is another thread in here somewhere about it.  Their magazines were made by okay, some with nhmtg markings, which is okay manufacturing as well.

Link Posted: 12/29/2023 5:22:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 12:25:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GreatWaputi] [#7]
The 20 round mags are Okay, the 30 round mags are NHMTG (made by Okay), and the 10 rounders are D&H.

https://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1750
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 12:50:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SnowCharger] [#8]
After the 2013 ban scare I bought a bunch of mags; I bought about 10 (or in some case a lot more) of every reputable brand. Thus I have just about every type of AR mag, including the pricy Beretta and FN made mags.

Just picking them up and handling them, Brownells seems to be the closest equivalent to Okay. Brownells feel like thick aluminum like Okay, whereas the D&H (PSA) seem thinner to me.

Admittedly the Brownells are in my stash and have never been shot, thus I can only speak to the feel of the mag, but Brownells have a good reputation.

I have shot some of the D&H and they have proven reliable.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 9:34:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M4BlackRifle] [#9]
I just measured a number of new and vintage AR mags from my footlocker.    The aluminum thicknesses all fall within allowable mill tolerances for sheet stock.

D&H (previously Labelle)  20 & 30 rnd - .040
Brownell's 2012 manufactured 30 rnd - .042
GI Adventureline  20 & 30 rnd - .0415
Colt/Okay/NHMTG 20 & 30 rnd - .0415
Bushmaster & DPMS with black Teflon coating (Labelle) 20 & 30 rnd - .0405
ASC 30 rnd - .0405

Bushmaster 30 round mags used to be made by D&H, but they later changed over to C-Products.  If they have cage code 04TQ4 stamped on them, then they are D&H.  If they just have a date and no cage code they they are probably C-Products.  D&H is the old Labelle company which made USGI mags for the military.

My D&H curved 20's do not have a cage code, just a date.  I don't think D&H ever made straight 20's.5
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 1:23:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: j3_] [#10]
Originally Posted By M4BlackRifle:
I just measured a number of new and vintage AR mags from my footlocker.    The aluminum thicknesses all fall within allowable mill tolerances for sheet stock.

D&H (previously Labelle)  20 & 30 rnd - .040
Brownell's 2012 manufactured 30 rnd - .042
GI Adventureline  20 & 30 rnd - .0415
Colt/Okay/NHMTG 20 & 30 rnd - .0415
Bushmaster & DPMS with black Teflon coating (Labelle) 20 & 30 rnd - .0405
ASC 30 rnd - .0405

Bushmaster 30 round mags used to be made by D&H, but they later changed over to C-Products.  If they have cage code 04TQ4 stamped on them, then they are D&H.  If they just have a date and no cage code they they are probably C-Products.  D&H is the old Labelle company which made USGI mags for the military.

My D&H curved 20's do not have a cage code, just a date.  I don't think D&H ever made straight 20's.5
View Quote

I am guessing the thickness varies because I thought the D&H seemed thinner myself but few years ago when I measured a few different brand aluminum ones it came out slightly thicker than the others. I was kind of surprised. Differences was so little it may have been the coating thickness causing the different numbers I got.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 5:11:56 PM EDT
[#11]
D&H have been more reliable for me than the Okay Surefeed mags.  I would not hesitate to recommend D&H.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 5:40:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Not that steel cased is much an option nowadays, but I had issues with D&H and steel cased due to sharp feed lips dragging/cutting into the case and failing to chamber correctly.

A quick filing remedies the issue.

Just an FYI
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 6:21:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Bravo_Six:
D&H have been more reliable for me than the Okay Surefeed mags.  I would not hesitate to recommend D&H.
View Quote

You have had mag related malfunctions with an Okay Surefeed?
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 6:37:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 9:22:31 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

20s or 30s???
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 10:01:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought a bunch of mags from RRA, but my question is focused not on where to still source OKAYs here and there, but what the reliable alternative is once the sources for OKAYs have all dried up
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:05:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By XanderZuk:
I bought a bunch of mags from RRA, but my question is focused not on where to still source OKAYs here and there, but what the reliable alternative is once the sources for OKAYs have all dried up
View Quote

I'd suggest you buy all you think you'll ever need now while they're available. Doubt you'll ever see them for $14.00 again with free shipping.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:25:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Only time will tell if there will be an alternative to okay available.  Still waiting to see if anyone ramps up with okays equipment and, more importantly, if they do it properly.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 3:31:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By tgmr05:
Only time will tell if there will be an alternative to okay available.  Still waiting to see if anyone ramps up with okays equipment and, more importantly, if they do it properly.
View Quote

Center Industries has all of Okay's wares.

I don't have much faith in them personally.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 4:51:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bravo_Six] [#20]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yes.  I've only shot 2 of them, but both gave me problems.

Originally Posted By Shagowski:

20s or 30s???

30s.

To be fair, I was using steel case ammo at the time.  However, D&H, Magpul, and Lancer all work fine for me with steel case ammo.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 6:48:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 4:19:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

View Quote
That is a crying damn shame.

I have avoided buying centers for 15yrs because they can't seem to get their sight impaired employees (or QA) to make mags that consistently drop free or have uniform spot welds.

Hopefully they let the Okay name disappear and not sully the market with their mags and a different floor plate.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 7:55:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By WIZZO_ARAKM14:

I have avoided buying centers for 15yrs because they can't seem to get their sight impaired employees (or QA) to make mags that consistently drop free or have uniform spot welds.

Hopefully they let the Okay name disappear and not sully the market with their mags and a different floor plate.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WIZZO_ARAKM14:

I have ~30 Center mags, no issues thus far, other than the newer EPMs.
They definitely are not going to win any beauty contests.

I put Magpul Enhanced followers and new springs in mine a handful of years ago so that likely makes a big difference.

Either way, I'm fairly certain that if the Surefeeds do come back they'll not be the same.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 11:39:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By bfoosh06:

FWIW... My Beretta Steel AR15 mags don't feed Mk262 77gr ammo worth a hoot. The Mk262 is to long for them ?! .... They are fine with 55gr ball ammo.

View Quote

Lancer magazines have issues with M262 as well.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 10:49:17 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By tgmr05:

@TGWLDR

I'm willing to give Center Industries a try. IIRC, they employ disabled people.

Any idea when they will bring mags to the market?

Any idea when Brownells is bringing their latest mags to the market. I think they're working with some subcontractor. Maybe its Center Industries.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top