AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 15
Link Posted: 9/16/2006 10:12:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FALARAK] [#1]
Link Posted: 9/16/2006 11:36:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fyeguy] [#2]

That is exactly how my instructions say to do it:

Guess I missed that the first time around. Concentrating too much on the pictures and forgot to RTFM!

That's just a little too "captain safety" for me.  

Nothing is quite as dorky as sitting in my garage with big yellow safety glasses on, but there's a whole lot of little tiny/sharp parts under lots of spring pressure!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2006 12:50:36 PM EDT
[#3]
this is great, started giving me confidence to build one
Link Posted: 9/17/2006 1:54:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I like this guys instructions on building a lower.
mujahadeenar15a2.tripod.com/
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 9:50:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Hi! I'm also a newbee. Is their any alternative for the action block barrel or barrel vise, for installing or removing barrels?
Thanks!

Marco223
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 12:02:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/17/2006 11:48:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you, this all helped me build my first lower.

Nathan
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 12:08:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ilikelegs] [#8]
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 7:59:31 PM EDT
[#9]
This thread is worth the price of my membership!

Thanks!
John
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 9:18:01 PM EDT
[#10]
WOW this was sooo easy.  The step by step for dummies approach worked like a charm.  You guys did it right.  I have never put one of these togather and it took me 25 mins.  Thanks ARFCOM.

Link Posted: 10/29/2006 10:01:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a DPMS panther A4 would this troy product fit my AR.  (IE: should i get the 7" or the 9" rail system)
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:12:34 AM EDT
[#12]
The hole on the end of the gas tube that goes into the FSB,does that face up or down?

Thanks for the great info in this thread.

And thanks in advance for your help with this gas tube question.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:46:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 9:20:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Thank you so much for this guide.  It is a lifesaver.
Link Posted: 11/4/2006 4:50:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I received an email showing a new RRA thread ......but I can't find it. Also, how do you post pictures to that thread....
Link Posted: 11/13/2006 4:54:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks much!  Due to these instructions I finally put the bare CMMG lower together that had been sitting in the back of my safe since the AWB expired.  Worked like a champ!  I even used vice-grips for the roll pins.
Link Posted: 11/14/2006 11:12:26 AM EDT
[#18]
I thought I would add one tip I have found helpful when gunsmithing at home.

Use some blue painters tape on or near where you are going to be pounding with tools or such so that you prevent or limit your "oops" marks.
Link Posted: 12/6/2006 3:32:56 PM EDT
[#19]
thanks for the Lower Receiver directions, just assembled 2 in about an hour.

The vise-grip tricked worked great!
Link Posted: 12/14/2006 2:07:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for posting this guide, it is very informative.

My question is: what is a good method for verifying that the gun has been put together properly and functions safely? If I just perform all of the standard function checks listed on the guide, will that be enough? Should I worry that a misplaced spring here or a improperly inserted pin there is going to cause the first round to blow up in my face?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/14/2006 8:27:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 10:10:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Can you use a receiver designed for free float hand guard with a barrel with standard delta ring and standard handguards???
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 10:18:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Can you use a receiver designed for free float hand guard with a barrel with standard delta ring and standard handguards???
Link Posted: 12/17/2006 11:13:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DRIFTING407] [#24]
Link Posted: 12/18/2006 12:34:34 AM EDT
[#25]
My apologies if this has been mentioned before. How tight should we torque the castle nut to the lower? I know in your instructions you've mentioned the use of blue loctite and it's up to our discretion on using it. Also, I'm trying to install a sling mount is it advisable that i place the lower in a vice? Or can this be done without? TIA for the info!

Infinite1
Link Posted: 12/22/2006 11:09:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DRIFTING407] [#26]
so i have just finished assembling my RRA lower

people need to know how hard the forward pin is, and also make sure the names on the picture (the .gif one that is shaped like a box) MATCHES THE NAMES ON THE INSTRUCTIONS

also the trigger hammer was hard

there should be more instructions on the hammer for newbies , since newbies like me will be reading this

but thanks anyways, great thread and thank you ar15.com
Link Posted: 12/28/2006 10:24:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks FALARAK - your advice with the tape covered locking pliers was invaluable.  Here's a pic of my POF lower completed with your instructions. - Shark

Link Posted: 12/29/2006 3:31:50 PM EDT
[#28]
what is a trigger hammer?
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 12:13:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DRIFTING407] [#29]
here is my build

RRA Lower, RRA CAR 6 STock, RRA LPK

Link Posted: 1/5/2007 2:59:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Nice How-To,  and great pics as well.  Most of this isn't new to me but I like the shaven Front sight Gas Block, very cool Idea.
Link Posted: 1/6/2007 11:29:29 AM EDT
[#31]
How do you tell the difference between the bolt catch spring and the disconector spring? Are they the same? I have a DPMS lower kit, with two springs that appear identical.
Link Posted: 1/6/2007 1:50:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/11/2007 2:38:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BridgerNY] [#33]
This guide came in real handy for assembling my lowers and helping a friend change a barrel.

Anyway, I'm building my own upper now, and have a question about the flash suppressor. I'm installing a Phantom, do I need to line it up any particular way? Torque it? Just what do I do with the crush washer? Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/11/2007 2:52:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/11/2007 3:13:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Question:

If you use a LaRue Rail with a Vltor MUR, you can't use both screws on the sides of the larue anti-rotation device.  Would this be a problem?  
Link Posted: 1/28/2007 9:06:05 AM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By FALARAK:

Originally Posted By fyeguy:
Two things I would add/change:

When installing the mag release, I find it's easier to push the button in, then rotate (windmill) the other side. That way the button is reset past the receiver. No chance of it rotating and malfunctioning.

I am not quite sure what to say.  That is exactly how my instructions say to do it:

"Insert the mag catch on the left side of the receiver (side with all the words on it) and then install the mag catch spring from the right side.

Then, grab the mag catch button and push it towards the mag catch. Then, spin the mag catch to tighten it. Stop when the mag catch threaded post is flush or nearly flush with the button:"

I would recommend you add in bold big type on the front page: WEAR SAFETY GLASSES. It's a matter of time before someone's takedown detent or trigger assembly flies out and blind's someone.

That's just a little too "captain safety" for me.  

I also had trouble figuring this one out too. I started the button on and couldn't figure out how to get it in further. I must have read over the wording too quickly to notice that it said to spin the mag catch. I figured it out after a few minutes. Perhaps a picture of the mag catch getting spun would clear up any confusion.

Very helpful when I put my lower parts kit in.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/31/2007 5:32:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Great walkthrough. I went from a bag O' parts and a bare lower to a fully functioning lower in about an hour. No blood, sweat, or tears involved. Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 2/4/2007 8:57:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Thanks FALARAK!  I completed my lower build using your excellent instructions.  AR15 lowers ARE simple to assemble, but those instructions are needed the first time through.  Thanks for a great resource.
Link Posted: 3/3/2007 5:18:57 PM EDT
[#39]
thanks this was very helpful in putting together my lower now I on to buying the parts for my upper so my first build will be complete
Link Posted: 3/8/2007 3:42:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Unless I missed it, I did not see anything about installing a Knights Armament M4 Free Float RAS.

I tried KAC's website but found no instructions and the tube that I bought has no instruction.

Anyone have a guide for installing it (with photos would be great)?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/11/2007 12:38:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Heavy_D] [#41]
Great thread.  It was very useful.  I just finished assembling my lower yesterday.  The taped vice grips was especially helpful.

I would just like to add one useful tip and ask a question.

First the tip.  If you are installing a tactical bolt catch and KNS anti-rotation pins, the FCG need to be installed before the bolt catch.  ( I had to take mine apart an reassemble it.)

Now for my question.  Is there an easy way to make sure that the gas block is aligned correctly with he hole in the barrel?  I am installing a DPMS gas block with the set screws and didn't know if there was a tip for indexing it so that the holes line up or not.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/11/2007 8:11:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Changed out my original FSB on my Rock River Car A4 for a low profile gas block. After struggleing to get the gas tube out of the FSB and not damaging the tube everything else went together nicely. My question is. How do you align the bottom hole of the gas block with the barrel gas port hole. I thought I had it but my bolt does not cycle when I fire the rifle. Is it a matter of taking the allen wrench supplied with the gas block to the range and just fine tuning the alignment until it cycles properly or is there a trick of some kind? Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/11/2007 8:37:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/11/2007 9:43:38 PM EDT
[#44]
I didn't do anything too fancy.  This is my first AR.  Haven't even shot it yet.

I downloaded all these instructions into a notebook that lays flat on the bench.

Installed a Clark FF tube on my new CMMG upper.  I ran into trouble with the sight pins.  They were uncooperative.  A very big hammer fixed the problem and the pins came out.  However my punch gave it's life.

Next problem was Clark's carbon fiber tube.  The tube holes wouldn't index with the receiver.

When tight, the hole wouldn't line up.  When loose the hole lined up, but that's not an option.

I used an endmill attachment on my Dremel and modified the holes to accept the gas tube.

The whole job took an hour from start to finish.

ARFCOM is a great resource.  Thanks

Before

After

ZM
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 12:40:39 PM EDT
[#45]
So I'm about to have all the pieces to start assembling my AR, but I have a question that may or may not have already been asked. In order to connect the complete upper half to the complete lower, you need pins, correct? The question I have is are the pins included in the lower parts kit, do they come with the upper half, or do you have to order them? If it makes a difference I have a DPMS lower, DPMS LPK, and the Bushmaster upper half from the tax time sale.
Link Posted: 4/12/2007 12:52:48 PM EDT
[#46]

Originally Posted By MALT0SE:
So I'm about to have all the pieces to start assembling my AR, but I have a question that may or may not have already been asked. In order to connect the complete upper half to the complete lower, you need pins, correct? The question I have is are the pins included in the lower parts kit, do they come with the upper half, or do you have to order them? If it makes a difference I have a DPMS lower, DPMS LPK, and the Bushmaster upper half from the tax time sale.

The takedown pins come with the lower parts kit. They are the fat ones with the channel for the detent.

In this picture, they are the pins at the bottom right; the takedown and pivot pin.

Link Posted: 4/12/2007 12:57:57 PM EDT
[#47]
I was wondering if thats what they were. Thanks for the response.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 5:43:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Do yourself a favour, use blue masking tape... no after assy munge to scrub off.
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 3:52:44 PM EDT
[#49]
One question... I've got a Stag Lefty flat top upper.  To secure the upper in a vice, would it be a better idea to modify a action block with a dremel to accept the lefty receiver or would it be better to just turn the receiver on it's side and clamp the top and bottom using wood or plastic blocks between receiver and vice?  I know a number of pro's have been said to secure flat tops sideways in vices, I'm just wondering if there are any disadvantages to this method.  It does seem easier than modding an action block...

Thanks and great instructions!
Link Posted: 4/18/2007 4:04:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FALARAK] [#50]
Page / 15
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top