Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/10/2024 1:51:00 AM EDT
So I’m having issues with my sear, it seems like the bolt is rubbing the top of it so that by the time the bolt gets halfway to home the hammer has already begun moving forward, but at the same time the sear is moving to it’s position of rest where it WOULD be holding hammer back… I noticed something was wrong when I would dry run/functions check and the hammer would ride the bolt carrier home, as if the sear was being tripped the whole time. Do I just file down the top of the sear..? Will that mess up its ability to function properly… or am I even just completely wrong about what I think is happening here? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Semper Fi.. (USMC, 03’-11’)
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 5:38:18 AM EDT
[#1]
There are a lot of variables in play here. What are the build specs and configuration? You're saying sear vs burst cam so it's presumably a full auto lower. Who made it? How many rounds? When did the malfunction begin?

The answer to these questions will provide a lot of guidance. I have my suspicions but in almost no circumstance is filing the sear going to be the solution.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 11:53:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sully] [#2]
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 11:55:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sully] [#3]
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 1:43:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry guys I’m new here… not new to site I’ve been on it for many years but first time posting. This is the first time I’ve REALLY been stumped and couldn’t find an answer any where… It’s an Anderson upper, lower, bcg(m16 profile) semi that was manufactured into M16 with a mil spec auto sear and 3 position safety, all the correct parts installed. Sear Spring is in correctly and the rifle has not been fired yet, heck I’d say the barrel has only had 20 rds through it. When I pull out rear takedown pin and take the bolt out, lay it on top of the upper and actuate the motions of cycling on FA with the trigger pressed it runs fine. Bolt cocks hammer, recess into buffer tube, returns and the sear holds back hammer until bolt trips it about where it should (obviously with no precision on timing due to the method) but then when it’s all put together and I cycle it, it’s almost as if there’s no sear present and the hammer has nothing to hold it back and rides the  bolt home…
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 4:56:16 AM EDT
[#5]
So, a ho.e conversion complicates this a lot. It's a weapon that has never known to have functioned and it's unknown if it's within spec. I'll presume you followed through with getting your government permission slip and offer this...

It may or may not be the sear. I actually have a hard time with the idea your BCG traveled so far back that the bolt hit the sear. That's ludicrous far. It really sounds like your hammer isn't hooking properly or the disconnector is not holding it. I would double check the FCG for proper spring installation. Pay particular attention to the disconnector spring and make sure it's not upside down. Try to fire in semi. The sear is completely disengaged in semi and isolated from.the firing sequence. Move in from there if it functions properly in semi.

If it still doesn't work, pull the sear out completely and try again just to rule it out in your mind, though, at that point I would suspect something else is out of spec.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 5:00:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 5:04:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top