Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/25/2024 1:28:54 PM EDT
I have a 16" BCA side charging upper on a completely stock S&W lower. I purchased the upper second hand and was told it was new. Took it out and it is really accurate. Worked great at first (50 rounds), then it started to not grab the next round or hold the bolt open when empty.  

We did some troubleshooting with it including adding an adjustable gas block. The gas block did nothing. No change with different mags or ammo. Finally we decided to swap the BCG from another rifle and voila, it runs like a top. Aside from running a bolt from another rifle which does not have the holes for the side charging piece, what are my options here?
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 5:46:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 11:48:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Easy one, and flood around the base of the carrier key to top of carrier, hold the bolt inwards, then blast 100lbs of compressed air in to the front of the key.  What your going to find, is key is leaking badly to base of carrier.

Options are to either send the carrier back to be replace, or will need to resolve the leaking key problem. As for why the problem, there was a bolt torque increase spec for the carrier keys way back, but that was when the USGI spec called out for stronger bolts.  So manaufactors are not using the stronger bolt, but torque'g to these specs, and just a mater of time until the weaker bolts do start to stretch.  Also, some are not using the correct sealing compound between the two, which can also blow out cause the problem  as well.

And to prove the point, use the old bolt on the new carrier that is working/will see the problem to be the carrier is self (leaking key base to top of carrier).

Also to point out, leaking key  on B/C is a lack of gas problem, not too much gas instead, so adjustable gas block is not going to solve the problem, since it can only reduce the amount of gas to B/C, not increase the pressure.
View Quote

This was excellent advice. After further inspection I noticed that the screws on the gas key were not tight, nor were they staked properly. The block was loose to the bolt. I removed the block, put some blue loctite under the block and in screw holes, and reassembled. Will test next week but I'm almost positive this will fix the problem.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 12:03:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top