Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/24/2024 7:39:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: caduckgunner]
If I remember correctly, I am supposed to put the barrel into a receiver, install the bolt and the muzzle device, and then use a dowel down the barrel until it hits the bolt face to get the barrel length. Problem is my upper has not arrived yet. Can I stick the bolt face into the barrel and then do the same procedure? It I am at 16" I should be good right? Going towards the city is where I can have the muzzle device pined, so hoping this way of measuring will work.

Edit:

Just measured it this way and came up wit 16 -1/16"
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:47:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup, just engage the lugs and measure. Muzzle device will be pin/weld, correct? A 1/16th is worth a measure twice
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:48:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm assuming your goal is to verify the muzzle device is long enough to reach 16" prior to pinning? You don't need the barrel installed in the upper receiver to measure barrel length. Just lock the bolt into the barrel extension and drop in a dowel.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:03:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Attachment Attached File

From the NFA handbook.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:04:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dalle0001] [#4]
Yes, you can put the bolt into the extension, lock it in place, and then measure it with the dowel. It's essentially the same thing they would do measuring it with the receiver in place.

I would recommend have the complete bcg so that way it can rotate and lock into place. You can use a 1/16 punch to lock the gas tube in place temporarily so that you can align the bolt carrier just right and lock it in. You don't want the bolt spinning and fall out as you're doing this.

It's always recommended to have a .1 inch clearance to account for any mishap with the bolt face measurement. If it is exactly 16" there could be wiggle room and you'd be hit with a technicality.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top