Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2024 10:36:30 PM EDT
Using a Bobsled to single feed.

No OAL restrictions other than lands in a 5.56 chamber.

What is the least deflected load for a 16" barrel to say, 800 yards?

What about furthest till subsonic?
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 11:01:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bpm990d] [#1]
"Best" is always a tough one. A lot depends on your barrel, twist rate and chamber. If you want factory loaded ammo that changes the calculus quite a bit, as there are only a couple of places that sell ammo loaded out long.

I've shot Sierra 90s out of a 16" 1/7 twist WOA SDM barrel with pretty decent results at 600 yards. That being said, I think the 80gr ELDm is a better bullet and it's what I shoot in my regular 20" Service Rifle, but I have never fired them out of either of my 16" guns. I like N140 and AR-COMP with both of those bullets, but a shorter barrel might be better served by somthing like N135.

The Sierras like to shoot close to the rifling and the Hornady's like to jump at least .035 or a little more.

From a theoretical standpoint, the highest BC bullet is going to be the best in terms of wind drift even if you shoot them slow. The Sierra 95gr. HPBT and the Hornady 90gr A-Tip should work with a 6.5 twist, but I don't know anyone shooting them. I know someone that has tried the 95s and I have some 90gr. A-Tips to try but I have a 6.5 twist on my main rifles. The person that tried the 95s has a Wylde chamber and stuck with the 77gr TMKs as they seem to shoot the best for him.

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 9:38:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: doty_soty] [#2]
Unless you feel like single loading I don’t think you’ll get much better than 77TMK. But since you mention single loading they make some pretty long pills as long as they fit the chamber, but that doesn’t mean they’ll shoot best in your gun so a lot of this is going to be a very individual answer.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 11:35:01 AM EDT
[#3]
I've shot 75gr ELDs out of my 16" bolt gun to 1000 successfully. You shouldn't have an issue if you're single loading
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:01:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Berger 77 OTM gave me a happy spot in my 16" I tried single feeding some of the heavier options but I didn't like the velocity I was getting.  I didn't sample many flavors of powder though.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 10:41:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm thinking single feed, no OAL restrictions.

75ELD? 80 ELD? 88? 90smk?

High powers shooters must know.

Didn't they use 80gr at 600 yards forever?
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 1:21:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By campower:
Using a Bobsled to single feed.  No OAL restrictions other than lands in a 5.56 chamber.  What is the least deflected load for a 16" barrel to say, 800 yards?

What about furthest till subsonic?
View Quote

Well, for starters, this is the ammunition forum.  You're not going to find much in the way of factory loaded ammunition loaded to longer than magazine length.  If you're planning on hand-loading, then you'll probably want to ask that question in the hand-loading forum because if this thread turns into a hand-loading thread, mods tend to shut those down here.  You'll want to be looking at long bullets with high ballistic coefficients that can still be loaded to useful velocities from the the 5.56 cartridge (and a 16" barrel is not the ideal length for doing that).

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 3:32:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Molon:

Well, for starters, this is the ammunition forum.  You're not going to find much in the way of factory loaded ammunition loaded to longer than magazine length.  If you're planning on hand-loading, then you'll probably want to ask that question in the hand-loading forum because if this thread turns into a hand-loading thread, mods tend to shut those down here.  You'll want to be looking at long bullets with high ballistic coefficients that can still be loaded to useful velocities from the the 5.56 cartridge (and a 16" barrel is not the ideal length for doing that).

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/28568/berger_90_grain_vs_55_grain_fmj_003-3179990.jpg

View Quote

Good call, can mods swap this to the reloading section or should I just start another thread?

This is purely a shock value fun load for a 16" Duty rifle.

I have quite a few long range toys, and a 900yrd range at my house.

I want to put togather a rather silly single feed handload, and see just how little deflection I can achieve.

I use 75gr ELDs in 224V and 80gr ELD-X in 22 Creedmoor. Lots of projectiles here to tinker with.

77TMK over 8208 is my standard 2.250 load. I'm also anxious to see that by single feeding and using higher b.c bullets where the equilibrium lies between velocity, B.C and wind deflection/drop.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 10:18:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Where in the world do you find 8208? I have not seen any in over a year.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 10:29:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DevL:
Where in the world do you find 8208? I have not seen any in over a year.
View Quote

My late grandfather was quite the reloader/stockpiler.

My kids kids won't need to buy primers/smokeless powder.

My heart aches for those going without the sweet sweet short kernel goodness that is IMR8208XBR.

Especially the 6ARC 22ARC crowd.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top