Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/11/2024 11:09:26 PM EDT
Apologies if this gets asked often, I didn't see one.

I'm looking for a budget T2 clone, that has NV modes (that are useable), for $250 or less. I get a .mil discount for a number of brands which helps.

Right now I am looking into:
Swampfox Liberator II
Holosun HS503

This will likely end up on a 9mm PCC for range time. And if the optic is good to go, it'll be potentially an HD gun too.

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 5:50:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Holosun 403r is actually pretty good. Let me be the first to tell you the NV usage will be pretty meh, but when we're talking your price range that'll be a given. You save money (I got mine for $155 on Amazon), and you get rid of the solar panel (which will 100% be useless to you), and gain a rheostat which is my preference by far. Buy yourself a better mount (which you'd need to with the 503 as well) but you can buy yourself some pretty good mounts for cheap, and the savings from going with the 403r will buy that mount for you.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:05:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Sig Romeo 5

I have had 5 of them, never had a problem with any of them. I just buy and sell a lot. You can get them for $120.

No idea how good the NV is one it, since I don't have NODS.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:49:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Sig romeo 5 have been very reliable for me.

no frills optic but I have 4-5 of them never had  issues
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:49:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NewWind:
Holosun 403r is actually pretty good. Let me be the first to tell you the NV usage will be pretty meh, but when we're talking your price range that'll be a given. You save money (I got mine for $155 on Amazon), and you get rid of the solar panel (which will 100% be useless to you), and gain a rheostat which is my preference by far. Buy yourself a better mount (which you'd need to with the 503 as well) but you can buy yourself some pretty good mounts for cheap, and the savings from going with the 403r will buy that mount for you.
View Quote

403r for me.  Shop the EE.  

Though if I had to get another the new vortex space ar solar is supposed to be good; even with NV.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:56:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Sig Romeo 5.
I have several of them and all have been great.

The biggest thing to note is if you’re looking to use low budget optics under nods is the glass clarity is lacking compared to an actual T2 or an EOtech.
They are definitely usable and capable but that is the limitation of cheap optics.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:46:55 AM EDT
[#6]
The difference between the 403 and 503 is the reticle. The 403 is just a dot, the 503 is a “multi-reticle” with a circle dot.

I prefer the 403r because it has a rheostat instead of push buttons. The only 503 I have is the ACSS version.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:30:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll jump onto the Romeo 5 bandwagon, but also I do not have night vision
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:04:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Holosun 515GM. You can get them for $269 shipped from Midwest Optics, and it is a super solid red dot.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:16:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll pile on for the Horosun 403R.

Great price to performance ratio.
Simple and no gimmicks like solar or auto adjust.
Rheostat power instead of buttons, so you can see the power level at a glance.
Logo is cast into the body and subdued, instead of the huge white billbord other Holosun devices have.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:20:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By JJL0325:
Holosun 515GM. You can get them for $269 shipped from Midwest Optics, and it is a super solid red dot.
View Quote

This

The materials (7075) and build quality are worth the extra cost.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:31:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: seamasterpro] [#11]
Lots of Romeo5 responses and while very good for the money for a day optic, they really don't work under NV, light transmission is almost nothing with my 2500FOM PVS-14.

I haven't tried any cheap micro footprint optics other than that but if you aren't stuck on that footprint the AEMS Core is excellent with NV and just over your budget at $260, Primary Arms SLx micro 1x is also surprisingly clear with NV and has a 9mm reticle option since you're putting it on a PCC.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:35:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks all! No love for the Swampy fox?

I'll look into the H403 - cheap, simple, and effective seem good. Sounds like the NV capabilities is the real limiting factor of these choices.

Originally Posted By seamasterpro:
Lots of Romeo5 responses and while very good for the money for a day optic, they really don't work under NV, light transmission is almost nothing with my 2500FOM PVS-14.

I haven't tried any cheap micro footprint optics other than that but if you aren't stuck on that footprint the AEMS is excellent with NV.
View Quote

That is actually the only optic I've considered outside the T2 footprint. I'll look into it some more and see what I can find.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:39:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By CJ47:

I'll look into the H403 - cheap, simple, and effective seem good. Sounds like the NV capabilities is the real limiting factor of these choices.

That is actually the only optic I've considered outside the T2 footprint. I'll look into it some more and see what I can find.
View Quote

just edited my response to add the SLx 1x too
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:05:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't have nods, but I thought the Romeo 5 and H403 were basically the same thing?
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:16:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Yumago:
Sig Romeo 5

I have had 5 of them, never had a problem with any of them. I just buy and sell a lot. You can get them for $120.

No idea how good the NV is one it, since I don't have NODS.
View Quote

I have two Romeo 5s.  Very pleased with their ruggedness and daytime performance.  Under nods……not so much, pretty rough.  Sig uses some kind of coating on them that you dont notice until you are under nods.   At least the old Romeo 5s are this way.  

Im wanting a Romeo 4XT or 8T myself.  Of course, getting into the 8T, you are in EoTech EXPS3 range…
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 8:57:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By BladedRonin:

I have two Romeo 5s.  Very pleased with their ruggedness and daytime performance.  Under nods……not so much, pretty rough.  Sig uses some kind of coating on them that you dont notice until you are under nods.   At least the old Romeo 5s are this way.  

Im wanting a Romeo 4XT or 8T myself.  Of course, getting into the 8T, you are in EoTech EXPS3 range…
View Quote

My 503-ACSS is trash under NV. My 530G is fantastic under NV. I haven’t even bothered looking through the 403R with NV, I’ve got that covered with the 530G and an Eotech.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 6:21:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By BladedRonin:

View Quote

I have a Romeo 4XT Pro, wanted something "higher end" for my 12.5 build. I really like it, it seems like a more rugged Romeo 5 with a couple additional features. From what I have seen online the NV performance is that around of a T2.

I was going to get the 8T, but it is even bigger and heavier than the EOTech, and I wanted to keep this build on the lighter side of things
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:39:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Sig Romeo5 is king of the cheap RDS
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:00:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By NewWind:
View Quote

Agree, I love the 403Rs that I’ve had and still have. It’s my go to. The dot just looks better to me than the T2 does.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 1:38:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MtnRoamer] [#20]

View Quote

It must vary from unit to unit as I have an HS403r that looks amazing when passive aiming, L3 Unfilmed on very dark nights with no illum, but I've seen multiple people saying otherwise.  The only optic I have that looks better is the AEMS.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:24:57 PM EDT
[#21]
The Aimpoint Duty RDS fits this bill at several hundred less than the T1/T2
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:57:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By WJP556:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WJP556:

Keep in mind the OP request was:
for $250 or less.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 1:44:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Primary Arms, no question.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:41:49 AM EDT
[#24]
I have a couple Holosun 503R.  In head to head comparisons under NODS, I prefer the Holosun to the Aimpoint Micro that costs >2x as much.  The only con I see to the 503R is if you're chasing ounces, it is 1.5oz or so heavier than the Aimpoint Micro.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:21:28 AM EDT
[#25]
I found light transmission through the optic is one major factor. The second is the brightness of the dot (really the ability to set it low enough.)  

I have red dots across the full price range.  After experimenting, my NV guns ended up with EoTechs and T2s.  A high mount is important as well.  

There are good comparisons on YouTube.  One example.

Budget Night Vision Red Dots Passive Comparison | Holosun, Sig, Primary Arms | Meaning of Man
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:23:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Another one for higher cost red dots.

The Best Red Dots for Night Vision
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 2:17:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By triode:
I found light transmission through the optic is one major factor. The second is the brightness of the dot (really the ability to set it low enough.)  

I have red dots across the full price range.  After experimenting, my NV guns ended up with EoTechs and T2s.  A high mount is important as well.  

There are good comparisons on YouTube.  One example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcCF8E_4eQ0
View Quote

Yea, I know the higher price optics will perform better. My EOTech is superb, and I love the LP1 as well, though I don't have as much time with it yet.

Maybe I should just save up more and grab something more expensive. But everyone voting holosun makes me want to try
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 2:32:36 PM EDT
[#28]

Yea, I know the higher price optics will perform better. My EOTech is superb, and I love the LP1 as well, though I don't have as much time with it yet.

Maybe I should just save up more and grab something more expensive. But everyone voting holosun makes me want to try
View Quote

I have a holosun 515 green dot on my SBR. I don't use nods, just a light and sling with it, but zeroed for 25 yds,  and lower 1/3 buis, the thing shoots a solid line through the bull.

I am too old to think about running around for the zombie apocalypse, but for home defense it'll shoot true to the property line. Plus, it's really easy to pick up and for the price, comes with a mount.

It's also got auto shutoff, comes with a kill flash, and lens covers. Plus a good old fashioned side mount battery under a screw cap, cause stuff those trays.

It's also selectable for dot, or circle dot.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:36:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Apologies if this gets asked often, I didn't see one.

I'm looking for a budget T2 clone, that has NV modes (that are useable), for $250 or less. I get a .mil discount for a number of brands which helps.

Right now I am looking into:
Swampfox Liberator II
Holosun HS503

This will likely end up on a 9mm PCC for range time. And if the optic is good to go, it'll be potentially an HD gun too.

Thanks all.
View Quote

I went through this and bought Romeo5, Holosun, and Primary Arms. I ended up keeping the Romeo5 but it has some drawbacks.

The clarity is not just poor under NV it is poor under daylight, poor with a magnifier, and shooting small groups for testing purposes is an absolute bear. There will be red glare with light behind you with any of those cheap RDS and the daylight clarity AND the NV clarity, AND the magnifier clarity will be disappointing, plus the blue tint... That's just how it is with a cheap RDS I am afraid.

The Romeo5 mounted lower and was more compact than the others. That mattered for my particular PCC so I could get a better height over bore and cowitness the factory irons.

An old Sig Romeo MSR honestly has better reticle/glass clarity. But it just has stupid jumps between reticle brightness settings and only 2 NV settings.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:45:50 AM EDT
[#30]
I've got a couple 403's and they've been great, no issues. I have a few friends with Romeo5's, same results. Side by side, they're very hard to find a distinguishable difference. For plinking/range toy dots, they're hard to beat IMO. I was on the primary arms bandwagon for a while and really like PA optics for the money, but I had a PA microdot fail on a 22, that kinda turned me off. It was only one example, so probably just a fluke, but my 403's are on a Scorpion and an AK have have held up, so they grade a bit higher for me now personally.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:41:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Sig Romeo 5

I have several.  Only had to send one back under warranty and Sig replaced it quickly.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 3:52:04 PM EDT
[#32]
PSA has the SIG Romeo 7s on sale. I don't know how it does with the wizard eyes, but works well otherwise, and uses AAA batteries.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:10:02 AM EDT
[#33]
I have a Holosun 403r that is comparable to my T1 under nods, maybe just slightly better. The T1 is the only high end dot I currently have, so not exactly a great comparison. I will say that under 3x magnification, the 403r is hands more "crisp" than the T1. I've had the 403 for a year and no issues at all. I just ordered a 503 as I was intrigued by the multi-reticle. Will be here Wednesday, I'll try it under nods when I get a chance and report back.

I like the simplicity of the 403/503 classic series. I don't need all the extra stuff and I really dislike push buttons on a dot sight.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 5:56:29 PM EDT
[#34]
It's not a low budget option, but wanted to add that the Sig Romeo 4T Pro has really impressed me...my new favorite micro red dot sight at any price.  I paid $484 shipped this March, so a bit cheaper than a Aimpoint H-2.  Here it is on a 9" Blackout...

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:40:01 PM EDT
[#35]
@Eric_T_Cartman  Off topic here but could you share what your offset light mount is in the pic? I've been looking for an offset mount just like this since IWC/Haley Strategic stopped making the Thorntail... and I really liked those.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:56:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Rubles:
@Eric_T_Cartman  Off topic here but could you share what your offset light mount is in the pic? I've been looking for an offset mount just like this since IWC/Haley Strategic stopped making the Thorntail... and I really liked those.
View Quote

Sure it's an Arisaka T.REX Lightbar Scout Mount.  They are sold on the T.Rex Arms site for $45 or so

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:36:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Eric_T_Cartman:

Sure it's an Arisaka T.REX Lightbar Scout Mount.  They are sold on the T.Rex Arms site for $45 or so
View Quote

Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:54:25 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

I'll cast a vote for the Swampfox. I have the Raider and it is a solid optic. I'm sure the Liberator is up there as well.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top