Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 2/8/2024 4:50:15 PM EDT
In your opinion who makes the best "Piston AR15" that is commonly available to a civilian?

*I know a DI AR is technically a piston driven gun too, but you know what I'm asking so don't be that guy*
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 11:40:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Sig 516 should be in the poll.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 11:04:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rpoL98:
View Quote

makes, not made
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 11:58:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Sig 516.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 9:08:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Where's Adams Arms stuff? Also Wolf T91.

Link Posted: 2/12/2024 9:43:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Caracal CAR816A2 is a "product improved" and "currently available" Sig516.

The poll has a limited number of options and Adams or Wolf wouldn't have drawn many (if any) votes.  POF hasn't even had a single vote.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 7:42:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I've had the LMT, PWS, Caracal, and shot a buddies HK. PWS gas system has always been the top of the pack.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 5:58:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Of those, the only one that interests me is the PWS.  I got aboard the piston craze about 15 years ago, didn't find any benefits, and stuck with DI guns.  I do have an Adams rifle still, but mostly to reminisce.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 6:29:06 PM EDT
[#8]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/High-round-count-AR-M4-s-over-100-000-rounds-and-how-they-have-handled-on-our-range/118-677135/
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 11:42:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I jumped on the piston bandwagon when LWRC introduced the IC model.  I ended up with every model of LWRC, 1 Adams, 3 models of POF, HK, PWS, LMT, and others.  I never sold my DI guns and I'm glad.  Pistons have a place but for my "standard use" I prefer DI.

Currently have a couple piston guns but couldn't get rid of the Adams, LWRC and POFs fast enough (admittedly I did like the POF Puritan ... their base model gun).

Of the currently available piston ARs I like LMT, Caracal, PWS, and HK.  All premium offerings.

My personal favorite?  Different guns for different purposes.

PWS is an AR AK.  Not the most accurate on my list but probably the simplest and most reliable.  Only long stroke too.
HK ... well ... its an HK so you get cool guy points.  They're also stupid accurate.
Caracal ... its as close as a normal person can come to affording a 416 Gen 3.  I think of these as the Colt 6920 of the piston AR world.  If you just need a piston AR that is going to simply work ... CAR816A2.
LMT ... the only true monolithic piston AR.  When you get tired of it being a piston (and you will) then you can swap the BCG and barrel in about 60 seconds and have a DI.  Also good for LAMs.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 10:26:37 AM EDT
[#10]
The poll hasn't yielded a single POF vote.  I never liked their 415 line, but their simple "base model" Puritan and Minuteman guns were really good entry level piston ARs.  POF's gas system is very robust and simple. Their roller cam is genius.

I don't remember the difference between the original Puritan and original Minuteman. I owned both and they both looked identical to the above picture.  I think POF now uses those "model names" on railed guns.

Everything about the goofy 415 is gross though.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 11:57:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I can only imagine the poor showing of LMT in the poll is due to not many having the coin for one. I've owned just about all of these and for me LMT is in first place with no one else even close to the finish line.

That said, I am very fond of my Caracal also.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 3:59:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By DrRockso:
I can only imagine the poor showing of LMT in the poll is due to not many having the coin for one. I've owned just about all of these and for me LMT is in first place with no one else even close to the finish line.

That said, I am very fond of my Caracal also.
View Quote

LMTs limited production numbers don't help. The first time I've ever seen/fired a LMT external piston setup was at the arfcom shooting event in Texas last year. LMT guys were at the event and had an SBR piston setup.

Impressed me how damn smooth they made it, despite being a short stroke tap system.

Beyond that, I've never even seen one in a shop for sale. Traditional MARS setups are hard to find in the wild, as is.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 3:15:11 PM EDT
[#13]
the beauty of the LMT is you pick the barrel and the upper you want and make your own
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 3:39:48 PM EDT
[#14]
My vote goes to POF.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 10:29:12 PM EDT
[#15]
LMT makes my favorite AR overall.  Their innovations might be aging but they are still ahead of what everyone else offers .  This is just my opinion, but I’ve owned all of the big names for comparison.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 11:32:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By rpoL98:
View Quote

AGREED!

Originally Posted By DrRockso:

makes, not made
View Quote

They still make them, you just have to know how to get them...
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 7:28:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Devilfox] [#17]
I've only ever owned Adams Arms, LMT, and PWS pistons.

PWS gets the edge simplicity and robust wise. My LMT is a laser beam.

LMT gets a close second but the costly nature and hard to replace is a big draw back. My department's TAC teams run LMT SBRs in full auto with Surefire Mini Monsters, have the original barrels from about 10 years ago, and the things keep ticking amazingly. Definitely smooth rifles.

ETA: spelling
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 8:07:49 AM EDT
[#18]
PWS makes a very good, affordable piston gun
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 8:16:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Sig 516 with F/A carrier
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 9:00:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Best is subjective when undefined.

I like my PWS. It's the only piston AR I've ever owned or shot though, so that doesn't really mean much. The pricing and long-stroke are what interested me. Mostly the pricing at the time. I'd love to try others out.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:34:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I expected PWS to poll well, but am a little surprised at LWRC's showing compared to the other offerings.  Having owned every LWRC piston model available I never liked them as much as other brands.  I had a lot of extraction issues with Wolf (Barnaul) steel case ammo.  Every other gun would run it fine, but LWRC would get stuck cases requiring a rod to beat it out.  This was a fairly consistent issue.

The same case lot of ammo would function 100% in a FN SCAR, Robinson XCR, Beretta AR100, BCM / Colt / LMT AR15s, Arsenal SLR106 AK, Steyr AUG, POF Piston ARs, Adam Arms Piston ARs, and many other.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:22:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BeGoneBaizuo] [#22]
I always wanted to try a caracal, but the weight always threw me off. If they included the CHF and chrome lined barrel seen in the European varients I would jump. I've been really looking at a piston gun for suppressed use. Might have to try a pws
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 4:35:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By BeGoneBaizuo:
I always wanted to try a caracal, but the weight always threw me off. If they included the CHF and chrome lined barrel seen in the European varients I would jump. I've been really looking at a piston gun for suppressed use. Might have to try a pws
View Quote

PWS is non-HF and nitrided.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 4:41:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Beyond_Visual_Range:
Where's Adams Arms stuff? Also Wolf T91.

View Quote

I have a stag model 8 and a friend has two AA uppers, all have been trouble free
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:44:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Sig 516 patrol seems to go bang with any fodder
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:51:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Devilfox:
I've only ever owned Adams Arms, LMT, and PWS pistons.

PWS gets the edge simplicity and robust wise. My LMT is a laser beam.

LMT gets a close second but the costly nature and hard to replace is a big draw back. My department's TAC teams run LMT SBRs in full auto with Surefire Mini Monsters, have the original barrels from about 10 years ago, and the things keep ticking amazingly. Definitely smooth rifles.

ETA: spelling
View Quote

I’ve owned the same, though my AA was a kit and my PWS was an upper. My LMT is a factory rifle (Estonian Ref) that I SBRd and put an LMT 12.5 barrel on. It’s extremely soft shooting for a piston, especially when suppressed. No other components changed from factory other than the barrel.
I’d vote LMT > PWS > AA.
I’ve shot an MR556 and a Sig MCX as well, but not enough to develop real opinions over and I’d still take my LMT over them.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top