User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 3/20/2024 5:19:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Earax]
Never thought this would happen. I keep ammo cans separate. I don't shot both calibers at the same time. Not really sure how it happened but 2 300 blackout rounds found their way into a 5.56 dedicated Ammo can with about 800 rounds in it.

I was shooting with NVGs and loading out of the can in the dark. The rounds must have slipped by the feel test.

AR15 SBR
Factory 11.5" YHM upper (2011) maybe 4-5k rounds through it.
Factory RRA SBR lower (2008)
Aero Precision Pro Series BCG
YHM Phantom 5.56 suppressor

The Bullet made it about 6-7 inches down the barrel just short of the gas block.

Blew the Okay industry bottom plate out but mag stayed locked. Bulged out the bottom just a little. Still works.

The bull barrel didn't seem to bulge at all but the barrel extension cracked.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Locking lugs on the bolt head are damaged so are the locking lugs in the barrel extension.

Extractor looks like a banana.

Bolt split.
Attachment Attached File

Upper receiver bulged. Broke the top off the bolt release. Bent the pin on the dust cover.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I got 2 small pieces of brass the hit my foot and just broke the skin.

Thought I would share my fuck up.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 5:21:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Wowzer
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 5:22:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Earax] [#2]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Salvagable parts

entire lower minus bolt release
muzzle device
suppressor
gas tube and block
handguard
charging handle

$400 mistake
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 5:23:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn, that sucks. How did the lower fare?
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 5:25:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Glad you are OK, tools can be replaced.

Mixing the two calibers up is what has kept me away from 300BO. It's a cool, useful cartridge...but to train with it at meaningful volume I can't shake the feeling that at some point Murphy's law would bite me in the ass.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 5:25:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JBecker_72:
Damn, that sucks. How did the lower fare?
View Quote

Seems fine but I haven't fired it yet. Mag locks fine.

It happened on Friday. I rebuilt the gun last night.

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 5:26:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Earax] [#6]
Attachment Attached File

New stuff is a BCM upper
BA Hanson 12.3" barrel
Same Aero pro series BCG
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 5:29:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperHeavy] [#7]
Do not take this as me being an ass.

$400 in parts is easily 10-15 magazines. Have your mags loaded. I always hated waiting for people to load mags at rifle classes. Why waste time? If the mags were already loaded, you'd have been fine.

With that said, find someone to chop the barrel, would be a cool gun room art wall hanger.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 5:29:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 5:31:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SuperHeavy:
Do not take this as me being an ass.

$400 in parts is easily 10-15 magazines. Have your mags loaded. I always hated waiting for people to load mags at rifle classes. Why waste time?
View Quote

Very true. This wasn't a class. Just me shooting on some property I have and I wasn't running full mags. But all excuses. This was 100% preventable and my fault.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 5:48:35 PM EDT
[#10]
That sucks man. Sorry about the rifle, glad you're ok.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 5:56:46 PM EDT
[#11]
You at least caught a break no permanent injuries and no damage to the registered lower.

Thanks for sharing, its good to be reminded that safety never takes a break.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 6:03:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#12]
Thanks for having the balls to post that.  Most people just wouldn't.

And yes, .300 BO is pretty much the No 1 source of AR Kabooms now.  Your's is the second one I've heard about, in about 1 month.  A friend got to watch his friend Kaboom a $2K AR with .300 BO last month.  The irony in that one, is that dude didn't even own a .300 BO, and refused to believe it could have happened.  Until they beat out the 200 gr bullet and pulled out the shattered bolt to get to the brass.

The fundamental error everyone seems to make, is that they are completely conscious of every round they touch and insert into a magazine.  No, you're not.  Are you conscious of every footstep you took in the parking lot to your car?  Or every piece of pop-corn you eat?  No, you're not.  You think you are, because you don't remember that you forgot to notice something; or you would have noticed it.  It's a false self-check diagnostic.  Wildly more false than most people are willing to admit.  There's this perception that every single round is picked up, carefully inspected, headstamp confirmed, bullet shape confirmed, and carefully inserted.  Vs grabbing rounds and stuffing them in while thinking about somenthing else.  Or talking to someone else even - which is what really happens way more than people admit.

My problem with .300 BO  and my frustration as an engineer with it, isn't that it's unsafe itself.  A .300 BO round in a 300 BO gun is totally safe.  The furstration is it's an engineered system that in the wild, has the unsafe condition of being dissasterously unsafe in other guns and magazines that are often intermingled in usage and handling.  There's a reason .357 magnum is longer than .38 special, and it's not to hold more gunpowder.  Almost every other round is safety considered in a manner to minimize risk of mischambering and kaboom.  Except .300 BO, where some failure of a safety engineer thought it was a GOOD IDEA for this round to use the same bolt and magazines, even though it was possible to mischamber in a 5.56 chamber.  Whoever did that, should have their credentials pulled, if they ever even had any.  And shame on SAAMI for authorising this Kaboom maker.  They knew better, and caved to the pressure.  And now lots of AR's are Kabooming out there.  

The good news is the AR design is so safe, that usually the Kaboom is restricted to wrecking the rifle and only superficial human damage.... usually.

As an engineer who applyes safety, and indeed system safety consderations - I despise .300 BO.  It's not even that great of a round.  Grendel kicks it ass in every way; and won't kaboom your gun.  If you're running a supressed 8" Piston SBR; that's about the only place that .300 BO is even worth trying; considering it's basically a high-pressure straight wall cartridge, so those shine in short barrels.  Now that the arm-brace topic is a mess, why would you bother with a 16" 300 BO, where a bottle neck will beat it ballistically like a bad step-child?
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 6:04:17 PM EDT
[#13]
$400 is a very small price to pay for this safety failure on my part. Gun could have been a total loss. I could have been seriously injured. One of my kids could have been shooting.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 6:13:57 PM EDT
[#14]
This seems to be a too common occurrence
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 6:16:21 PM EDT
[#15]
300BLK claims another one. Glad you're OK OP. Have tore down an upper destroyed by a 300BLK before.

I don't understand why those who engineered it made it to where it would chamber in a .223/5.56 chamber. This is one reason why I never got into that cartridge.

.277WLV was going to be my answer to 300BLK. Only problem is/was factory ammo availability...

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 6:27:39 PM EDT
[#16]
We're only human.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 6:38:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

And yes, .300 BO is pretty much the No 1 source of AR Kabooms now.  Your's is the second one I've heard about, in about 1 month.  A friend got to watch his friend Kaboom a $2K AR with .300 BO last month.  The irony in that one, is that dude didn't even own a .300 BO, and refused to believe it could have happened.  Until they beat out the 200 gr bullet and pulled out the shattered bolt to get to the brass.

The fundamental error everyone seems to make, is that they are completely conscious of every round they touch and insert into a magazine.  No, you're not.  Are you conscious of every footstep you took in the parking lot to your car?  Or every piece of pop-corn you eat?  No, you're not.  You think you are, because you don't remember that you forgot to notice something; or you would have noticed it.  It's a false self-check diagnostic.  Wildly more false than most people are willing to admit.  There's this perception that every single round is picked up, carefully inspected, headstamp confirmed, bullet shape confirmed, and carefully inserted.  Vs grabbing rounds and stuffing them in while thinking about somenthing else.  Or talking to someone else even - which is what really happens way more than people admit.

My problem with .300 BO  and my frustration as an engineer with it, isn't that it's unsafe itself.  A .300 BO round in a 300 BO gun is totally safe.  The furstration is it's an engineered system that in the wild, has the unsafe condition of being dissasterously unsafe in other guns and magazines that are often intermingled in usage and handling.  There's a reason .357 magnum is longer than .38 special, and it's not to hold more gunpowder.  Almost every other round is safety considered in a manner to minimize risk of mischambering and kaboom.  Except .300 BO, where some failure of a safety engineer thought it was a GOOD IDEA for this round to use the same bolt and magazines, even though it was possible to mischamber in a 5.56 chamber.  Whoever did that, should have their credentials pulled, if they ever even had any.  And shame on SAAMI for authorising this Kaboom maker.  They knew better, and caved to the pressure.  And now lots of AR's are Kabooming out there.  

The good news is the AR design is so safe, that usually the Kaboom is restricted to wrecking the rifle and only superficial human damage.... usually.

As an engineer who applyes safety, and indeed system safety consderations - I despise .300 BO.  It's not even that great of a round.  Grendel kicks it ass in every way; and won't kaboom your gun.  If you're running a supressed 8" Piston SBR; that's about the only place that .300 BO is even worth trying; considering it's basically a high-pressure straight wall cartridge, so those shine in short barrels.  Now that the arm-brace topic is a mess, why would you bother with a 16" 300 BO, where a bottle neck will beat it ballistically like a bad step-child?
View Quote
How did that happen if he doesn't own a .300? Was one mixed in with his ammunition he purchased? Or was this like a communal range day where people are sharing magazines to many different rifles?
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 7:00:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer: Thanks for having the balls to post that.  Most people just wouldn't.

View Quote

Glad you're ok, OP.  Anyone else now see why Magpul is releasing clear mags?  Though that would not have helped OP, reloading in the dark.

Lazy, SAAMI authorized .300 Eldest Son on the basis that a shooter chambering a round in a bolt action would feel the bind and stop.  This has prevented .30-06 from blowing up .270 rifles for many years.  What they forgot to consider was that this cartridge would be primarily used in ARs, where we add H2 buffers instead of adjustable gas blocks, and are taught to beat on the forward assist if the bolt doesn't go home.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 7:05:15 PM EDT
[#19]
How did that happen if he doesn't own a .300? Was one mixed in with his ammunition he purchased? Or was this like a communal range day where people are sharing magazines to many different rifles?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Apparently he has a pile of loosies, and decided to just run them.  I guess that must have included random from outside his own original supply route.  I don't know the guy, but I get loosies, at times - and will run them.  But when that happens, you bet your ass I inspect each one with a microscope, study the bullet, the brass, the primer, the neck - to discern if it's factory or a reload.  A 55 or 62 SC, a 77, etc.   I guess he did not.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 7:06:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Glad you're ok, OP.  Anyone else now see why Magpul is releasing clear mags?  Though that would not have helped OP, reloading in the dark.

Lazy, SAAMI authorized .300 Eldest Son on the basis that a shooter chambering a round in a bolt action would feel the bind and stop.  This has prevented .30-06 from blowing up .270 rifles for many years.  What they forgot to consider was that this cartridge would be primarily used in ARs, where we add H2 buffers instead of adjustable gas blocks, and are taught to beat on the forward assist if the bolt doesn't go home.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By lazyengineer: Thanks for having the balls to post that.  Most people just wouldn't.

You can't chamber a 30-06 into a .270 no matter how hard you try.  The neck dimensions won't fit.  Slamming it harder won't change that.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 7:09:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Glad you are ok.  That some.scary @#$$
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 7:20:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Apparently he has a pile of loosies, and decided to just run them.  I guess that must have included random from outside his own original supply route.  I don't know the guy, but I get loosies, at times - and will run them.  But when that happens, you bet your ass I inspect each one with a microscope, study the bullet, the brass, the primer, the neck - to discern if it's factory or a reload.  A 55 or 62 SC, a 77, etc.   I guess he did not.
View All Quotes

Ah, yeah I'm always very careful about inspecting any ammunition I come across where I don't know the original source.

The whole .300 thing reminds me of this scene.

Jurassic Park - They didn't stop to see if they should

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 7:46:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Muad:
300BLK claims another one. Glad you're OK OP. Have tore down an upper destroyed by a 300BLK before.

I don't understand why those who engineered it made it to where it would chamber in a .223/5.56 chamber. This is one reason why I never got into that cartridge.

.277WLV was going to be my answer to 300BLK. Only problem is/was factory ammo availability...

View Quote

The 300 BO round does not chamber in a 5.56. The 30 cal bullet would stop short of fully entering the chamber so it does not seat properly. What occurs is the shooter fails to see/or know the bolt not fully closing and seating the round in the chamber like it would on a correctly sized round, before pulling the trigger. Thats why the ÓP's barrel bulged, the bullet was larger than the hole, and the explosion in the receiver caused the damage to the innards and bolt.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:03:10 PM EDT
[#24]
After building up a 300blk, I look at every round when I load mags. 300 and 5.56
When I go to the range, whichever caliber of the 2 I am firing, the other rifle and ammo can with loaded mags stays in the truck until I'm ready to fire that caliber.

The 300blk upper has a laser engraved dust cover stating "300blk"

A few friends say I'm too over cautious.  I tell them I'm not going to risk blowing up a gun because I was lax and could have easily prevented it.

Glad your okay OP.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:03:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By HotHolster:

The 300 BO round does not chamber in a 5.56. The 30 cal bullet would stop short of fully entering the chamber so it does not seat properly. What occurs is the shooter fails to see/or know the bolt not fully closing and seating the round in the chamber like it would on a correctly sized round, before pulling the trigger. Thats why the ÓP's barrel bulged, the bullet was larger than the hole, and the explosion in the receiver caused the damage to the innards and bolt.
View All Quotes

Supers can - first chambering.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:08:21 PM EDT
[#26]
OST
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:09:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:09:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:16:41 PM EDT
[#29]
I only had the one rifle out that night with only 1 ammo can and 3 mags. All loaded on site as I was shooting. 5-15 rounds at a time.

On a previous range trip or at the house cleaning up loose ammo I must have put 2 rounds of 300 in the can.

The 300 rounds were supers. 147 remanufactured training ammo I believe.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:23:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Damn!

That is one of my worst nightmares
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:35:28 PM EDT
[#31]
300 danger noodle

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:38:42 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

Most supers, especially anything 125gr and under, will absolutely chamber in a .223/5.56. Some subs will chamber but the heavier bullets with fatter ogives won’t chamber.

There is no way for a .223/5.56 round to chamber in a 300blk barrel. The shoulder prevents it from fully chambering.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:41:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:
That sucks man. Sorry about the rifle, glad you're ok.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:45:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Luny421:

Most supers, especially anything 125gr and under, will absolutely chamber in a .223/5.56. Some subs will chamber but the heavier bullets with fatter ogives won’t chamber.

There is no way for a .223/5.56 round to chamber in a 300blk barrel. The shoulder prevents it from fully chambering.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Luny421:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:54:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Can you drop a 8.6 Blackout in s 6.5 Creedmore barrel?

Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:21:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:22:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Glad you’re ok OP. The only time I’ve seen this happen was at a nvg shoot.

I don’t 300bo for this reason.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 10:00:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Thats why the ÓP's barrel bulged.
View Quote

"The bull barrel didn't seem to bulge at all"
Readin's for rich folk
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 11:00:43 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

I have zero idea how people just let a 300 black out round just slip by them. Projectile is objectively fatter, case shorter, and the neck is just fatter too.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 11:08:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By StillGonnaSendIt:

I have zero idea how people just let a 300 black out round just slip by them. Projectile is objectively fatter, case shorter, and the neck is just fatter too.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StillGonnaSendIt:
Originally Posted By Muad:  300BLK claims another one. Glad you're OK OP. Have tore down an upper destroyed by a 300BLK before.

Dunno if you've noticed, but the back end of .223 & .300 ES are the same size.  Which end of the cartridge do you handle when loading?

This is why I don't allow .300 Eldest Son in the house, despite Fatalwishes leaving a nicely set up .300 in the safe.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 11:43:52 PM EDT
[#42]
No illumination. Wearing nvgs wasn't even looking at the ammo while I was loading because the nvgs weren't focused in close.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 11:58:29 PM EDT
[#43]

Dunno if you've noticed, but the back end of .223 & .300 ES are the same size.  Which end of the cartridge do you handle when loading?

This is why I don't allow .300 Eldest Son in the house, despite Fatalwishes leaving a nicely set up .300 in the safe.
View Quote
What's the story behind ".300 Eldest Son"?
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:42:11 AM EDT
[#44]

View Quote

Supers with a short ogive will chamber in a standard 5.56 chamber.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 1:07:37 AM EDT
[#45]
That’s why I’ve loaded pretty much only 220gr subs that won’t chamber in a 556 for training and plinking.

My supers for SD are in specific mags(300 pmags, 40rd pmags, and clear 20rd Lancers) marked with a red paint marker.

Link Posted: 3/21/2024 1:08:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Impressive!
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 1:15:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Good PSA OP. Glad you’re OK.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 1:28:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By DefenderAO:
This seems to be a too common occurrence
View Quote
and this is why my dumb ass will never own 300bo.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 7:20:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
What's the story behind ".300 Eldest Son"?
View Quote

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Eldest_Son#:~:text=Project%20Eldest%20Son%20
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 7:27:33 AM EDT
[#50]
I have one 300blk I use with NV and a suppressor for varmint control. I keep the ammo and mags seperate. I also use only Lancer clear mags for the 300.

But now I'm thinking maybe I should use the clear mags in my 556 guns to make sure no danger noodles are loaded.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top