Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/20/2024 3:40:17 PM EDT
I have a Windham A4 style rifle and I have been trying out magazines I have out in it that are loaded (safety on and not touching the trigger) and when I put a magazine in it most of the time I pull the charging handle back and release it the bolt does not go all the way forward. I am trying it out with different brands of brass case ammo and get the same results. It especially happens if I don't have the rifle level. If I have it up at a 2:00 angle it especially does it and straight up especially. Hell even if I have the barrel pointed down it wants to do that. I have tried using a different bold carrier in it which the other one is a Brownells and doesn't do it as much but still does. I tried using a fair amount of grease on it and doesn't seem to do much better. I take it that it is just a case of a bad upper receiver and not the carriers? And what I mean by that is I take it that the tolerances are too tight and not in spec? I used to have a Rock River A2 and I don't remember it be like that. Not to mention I have a BRN-601 Proto and it doesn't seem to do that either. And even though this is probably not a fair comparison I have three blank SP1 style uppers that I connected the same lower two and each time I pulled back on the charging handle they went right out the other end like that should have and the bolt did not stop short of closing. Another thing I will add also is it seems to dislike aluminum mags for some reason. It prefers plastic mags. The only mags that seems to really work good in it are PMags and Mission First Tactical. It really hates steel mags. I am thinking of getting another blank A4 upper and just transferring the parts over to that. Should I look into doing that or is there something else I should try instead? If anybody has any ideas I would love to hear them. Thanks in advance!

"Today's A Good Day. I Came For Alexia... But Killing You Is Even Better!" Albert Wesker in Biohazard: Code Veronica X
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 4:43:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Why are we playing with loaded magazines?  

Does it shoot?    Is it a brand new rifle, or is it well broken in?  At the range, where you should be testing these things, does it do this when the magazines are downloaded by 2 rounds?  Are you briskly retracting the charging handle, and letting it go, or are you riding it home?    Have you measured the length of the recoil spring, or considered an extra strength recoil spring?   What buffer weight is installed?    Is the magazine catch properly adjusted?
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:09:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 7:55:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
P.s. When you state plastic verse metal mags, are we talking both USGI approved, or some knock off clones that may have feed problem in themselves.

Also, this is an Ar-15, where CLP is used to clean and lube the gun, not an M-14 or Grand, when grease was used to lube some of the steel on steel parts isntead.  If you are using grease on any part of the gun, its a problem in itself.
Substituent CLP for where is states LSA, and will have you covered on how to clean and lube the rifle correctly.
Note, If stuck in a fox hole too long in country, and will give you something to yank-off to as well.
https://straskye.tripod.com/deltasitepages/documents/m16manual.pdf
View Quote

Yeah in regards to the magazines the one's that seem to cause the most problems are Brownells, P.S.A. and Windham magazines. The Okay and ASC mags do seem to work ok. But I guess those are G.I. mags. The grease I tried on it is Militec-1 dry lube. Thanks a bunch both of you and I will look into the things mentioned.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 9:49:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 11:00:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Wildcard I have not seen discussed: charging handle latch could be poorly machined. I have had crappy charging handles where the latch jammed up right at closing, arresting the bolt's momentum right. The latch eventually broke and that's how I diagnosed it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 6:41:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Going to keep it light, but before you put any new Mag into play, pull it apart to CLP clean all the parts.

Check the sides of the follower for any flash that has not been trimmed off, make sure that the spring has been installed on the follower as well and is fully in place,  and sides of the top winding not bent outwards to catch on the inside of the mag when its coming up in the mag body.  I bring this up,since some time when the spring are installed to the body, the top hook can get bent, to cause it to produce too far outwards, and cause biding to the inside of the mag body,

https://cdn4.volusion.store/dfjtz-mmgxa/v/vspfiles/photos/1510-B-2.jpg?v-cache=1425033015

As for brownell mags, they tend to be fine, since they did have a 2006 contract with the governments for mags (making them a USGI mags), that is once you do pull them apart to CLP clean and check for problems.

Myself, will take a  smoother file to bottom edges of the feed lips to remove any burs, the front inside edge of mag for burs as well, clean up  any flash on the follower, check the top spring loop for protrusion problems, maybe a quick tweak on the top first downward spring wind so the stack feeds the top round to the entire feed lips, then good douching with CLP to clean up an debries that may be in the mag from assembly leaving only trace amounts of Clp on the parts in the end.

Also, best to pull mags down from time to time, to give them a good cleaning, especially more often when they are on the new side, and the rough anodizing on the inside of the mags is wearing smooth from use, isntead of just keeping the fouling in them to bay instead.

Last one, mag is fully charged, when the top round can still be pushed about 2/3's of the way to down as it stopping point, and once you do have the mag loaded, rasp the back of the mag off a semi hard surface, to stack all the loaded rounds to the back side of the mag.  When the rifle recoils when firing it, will keep the rounds to the back of mag, so it either just after loading the mags, or before inserting them into the mag well  if you have been rough to the mags, to make sure the first feed out of it, all the rounds are stacked to the back of mag.

Also, get into a habit of insert the mag into the well as high as you can get it, then use the palm of your hand to rasp up on the bottom of mag, to make sure that mag lock has fully engaged.  With bolt locked lock back, easy to shove a mag up all the way to lock it home,but when bolt is forward and bottom of carrier is pushing the round stack down, may take a little more effort to get the mag all the way up to lock home on the catch all the way.
View Quote

Yeah I'll look into maybe taking the mags apart as well. I have also been experimenting some more and I am think maybe I overloaded the mags in some cases also. Like squeezing 31 rounds into it instead of just 30 like they are supposed to be. So I am being more careful to count instead of just putting them in till no more will fit. I guess as far as what I said about steel mags that is just a case of some magwells are big enough to fit those while others aren't. Especially if it is a non AR rifle that takes AR mags. I have a AR-15 magwell adapter for a HK G36 and even steel mags have wiggle in them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 6:42:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Wildcard I have not seen discussed: charging handle latch could be poorly machined. I have had crappy charging handles where the latch jammed up right at closing, arresting the bolt's momentum right. The latch eventually broke and that's how I diagnosed it.
View Quote

Thanks I will keep that in mind as well.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top