Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 11/26/2023 10:50:54 AM EDT
I lose about 10% of my brass at the range. 5.56, .300 Blackout, and 6.5mm Grendel. If it goes over the red line, we're not allowed to retrieve it. I've lost maybe 100 rounds worth of brass this year, which might cost me a whopping $15 to replace. When I start shooting on a tactical range though, I expect to lose all of my brass. They told me to expect to shoot 200 to 300 rounds during a training session and I'm planning to use it once a month. That would mean a couple hundred a year in lost brass.  

I'm not reloading now but I will be in the next year or so. I'm looking at brass catchers and they're pretty cheap but I know nothing about actually using them, or even if I should.

The fact that I don't see anyone here using them leads me to believe it's not a good idea.

Help me out, please.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 11:42:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I use them for 300 BLK and 458S.

Everything else I usually don't even bother picking up. 9mm and 5.56 brass is dirt cheap.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 12:12:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Cascade-Dude:
I lose about 10% of my brass at the range. 5.56, .300 Blackout, and 6.5mm Grendel. If it goes over the red line, we're not allowed to retrieve it. I've lost maybe 100 rounds worth of brass this year, which might cost me a whopping $15 to replace. When I start shooting on a tactical range though, I expect to lose all of my brass. They told me to expect to shoot 200 to 300 rounds during a training session and I'm planning to use it once a month. That would mean a couple hundred a year in lost brass.  

I'm not reloading now but I will be in the next year or so. I'm looking at brass catchers and they're pretty cheap but I know nothing about actually using them, or even if I should.

The fact that I don't see anyone here using them leads me to believe it's not a good idea.

Help me out, please.
View Quote

On a tactical training course it’ll likely aide you in malfunction drills. Occasionally on a stationary range the brass won’t fall down into the basket causing stovepipes. Not a big concern but it’s possible.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 1:08:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been looking at one of these for my FM-9 upper but they are always out of stock. (link below is to the AR-15 version). Pretty clever design. Folds down. QD picatinny mount. Etc., etc., etc...

https://www.tacticalbrassrecovery.com/ar15-ar10-brass-catcher-operator-std/

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 1:17:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Brass goat is amazing. I use it on all my ARs without any issues.

Link Posted: 11/26/2023 1:23:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RottenPumpkin:

https://i.postimg.cc/ncCQpvPD/20231019-152833.jpg
View Quote
Does the brass catcher "magazine" come off pretty easily? I've been looking at one of those for my 300BO rifle.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 2:03:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Mr_Maim:
Does the brass catcher "magazine" come off pretty easily? I've been looking at one of those for my 300BO rifle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It doesn't come off by accident, have to push the plastic lever catch to get it to release and it comes off easy enough. I put the fuzzy side of self sticking velcro on the deflector to minimize denting the brass. The sponge rubber type works but sometimes you get stovepipes.
Also Brassgoat is fine for mil-spec sized lowers, I have a couple that are not and it does not clip on as well so end up using a Caldwell brass catcher on those.
Link Posted: 11/26/2023 4:38:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By maximumtorque:

It doesn't come off by accident, have to push the plastic lever catch to get it to release and it comes off easy enough. I put the fuzzy side of self sticking velcro on the deflector to minimize denting the brass. The sponge rubber type works but sometimes you get stovepipes.
Also Brassgoat is fine for mil-spec sized lowers, I have a couple that are not and it does not clip on as well so end up using a Caldwell brass catcher on those.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By maximumtorque:

Thanks for the detail!
Added to the Christmas list.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 1:27:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I have the Brass Goat. Brass catchers are a pain in the ass, but this one works well, is easy to put on and remove, easy to empty, and doesn't require any additional hardware on the rifle. It's about as good as it gets, I think.
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 3:34:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Help me out, please.
View Quote

What is this an indoor range? If it's an outdoor range be you bet I'm going to get my brass during cease fire and checking targets
Link Posted: 12/2/2023 4:25:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By devildog3062:

What is this an indoor range? If it's an outdoor range be you bet I'm going to get my brass during cease fire and checking targets
View Quote

Yes, indoor range.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 4:27:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cascade-Dude] [#11]
I picked up a Caldwell picatinny rail-mount brass catcher. I used it at the range yesterday and it works great. The zipper on the bottom empties it very quickly. It also put one brass nicely on the bench when I forgot to zip it up after emptying. I also learned not to set the rifle down on its left side, as this tends to dump the brass into the open bolt. I was amazed to discover that seven empty cases will fit into an AR-15 breech. Other than that, it never got in my way and didn't really complicate anything after I made those two mistakes.

I'm going to get another mounting bracket for my AR pistol. Once the rail mount is installed, the basket assembly pulls right off and slides right back on. The adjustment rails allow the mount to be independent of the basket position, so I was able to use it on an empty rail section without having to move anything, and then position the basket where it needs to be; one end on the barrel nut and the other on the forward assist housing.

I can't attest to its durability but I like the design, it works great, and it's easy to use.

I'm going to get a Goat for my wife, though. She's a lefty using a right-hand AR and the Caldwell would never work for her. I think the Goat's slimness will make it more doable. Time will tell, though.

Thanks for the help!

Link Posted: 12/15/2023 4:36:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmac7979] [#12]
I picked up a Caldwell picatinny rail-mount brass catcher. I used it at the range yesterday and it works great. The zipper on the bottom empties it very quickly. It also put one brass nicely on the bench when I forgot to zip it up after emptying. I also learned not to set the rifle down on its left side, as this tends to dump the brass into the open bolt. I was amazed to discover that seven empty cases will fit into an AR-15 breech. Other than that, it never got in my way and didn't really complicate anything after I made those two mistakes.

I'm going to get another mounting bracket for my AR pistol. Once the rail mount is installed, the basket assembly pulls right off and slides right back on. The adjustment rails allow the mount to be independent of the basket position, so I was able to use it on an empty rail section without having to move anything, and then position the basket where it needs to be; one end on the barrel nut and the other on the forward assist housing.

I can't attest to its durability but I like the design, it works great, and it's easy to use.

I'm going to get a Goat for my wife, though. She's a lefty using a right-hand AR and the Caldwell would never work for her. I think the Goat's slimness will make it more doable. Time will tell, though.

Thanks for the help!

https://www.caldwellshooting.com/dw/image/v2/BCNX_PRD/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-caldwell-master/default/dw647facf6/images/530143/original/530143-Caldwell-AR-15-Pic-Rail-Brass-Catcher-Full.jpeg?sw=2000&sh=1128

View Quote

I've had the Caldwell pic mount one for some time, dollar for dollar its a great value.

My only complaint is I wish they would figure out a way for stronger detents. On something that has low recoil (like an ar15) it works great, my AR10 shucks it off eventually though.

Other than the occasional case sticking to the mesh from it not being too heat resistant, it just plain works.

It also works great on my B&T 45 APC, I don't like losing 45 Auto brass.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 5:51:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By dmac7979:

I've had the Caldwell pic mount one for some time, dollar for dollar its a great value.

My only complaint is I wish they would figure out a way for stronger detents. On something that has low recoil (like an ar15) it works great, my AR10 shucks it off eventually though.

Other than the occasional case sticking to the mesh from it not being too heat resistant, it just plain works.

It also works great on my B&T 45 APC, I don't like losing 45 Auto brass.
View Quote

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be using it on a .300 BO pistol too. It has quite a bit more kick, so I'll keep an eye out. Good heads-up! Thanks!

The guy two lanes down from me at the range yesterday rained down .45 ACP brass all over the place, then left without sweeping it up. There must have been a hundred of them. If that happens again, I'll snag them for you.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 3:31:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TargetShooter2] [#14]
I just made 3 of them , going on a PD hunt in
June so wanted something to catch the brass
instead of having to pick them up off of the ground .
I used pvc pipe , 1/8 tig rod, inch od aluminum bar stock
1 inch scope rings to mount with . the bags was laundry
bags from walmart for .99 ,, they all work out great

Link Posted: 1/23/2024 3:47:49 PM EDT
[#15]
I use the brass goat
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 3:51:22 PM EDT
[#16]
brass goat as well. Works great.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 4:09:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Brass Goat for me.

Brass Goat AR Brass Catcher (BG15)

I use it on on the range during load testing.  I need to inspect that brass for pressure signs.

I shoot one load at a time.  And I rarely use the supplied plastic bottom brass receptacle to capture the brass.

I mainly let them drop into a hat so I can inspect every round fired right away.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 5:36:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By TargetShooter2:
I just made 3 of them , going on a PD hunt in
June so wanted something to catch the brass
instead of having to pick them up off of the ground .
I used pvc pipe , 1/8 tig rod, inch od aluminum bar stock
1 inch scope rings to mount with . the bags was laundry
bags from walmart for .99 ,, they all work out great

https://i.imgur.com/AO2wnMh.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/JQkvlsH.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/I5L8X8i.jpg

View Quote

Nicely done!
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top