Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/29/2024 6:17:22 PM EDT
This will be a thread for the Bulgarian Steel mags from Gun Mag Warehouse. I have ordered some and will update the thread once they arrive. Please post and share your experience if you’ve purchased these mags:

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/bulgarian-ar-15-223-5-56-30-round-steel-magazine.html

My main use magazines are PMAGS, Okay Industries, Lancers, and HK steel.  However, I enjoy having a lot of different types of AR mags for range use and personal enjoyment. I am excited for these Bulgarian Steel mags as I missed out on the prior Bulgarian Steel magazines which are discussed in this thread:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Bulgarian-Steel-AR15-Mags/17-742628/

The Gun Mag Warehouse mags have a different look than the prior Bulgarian Steel mags, and I am curious if the mags are coming from the same manufacturer. If anyone has knowledge as to this please let me know.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 3:07:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Foundation] [#1]
Packaging
Like the prior Bulgarian Steel magazines that were sold by Clearview Investments (“Clearview”) and if I recall correctly also by Numrich, these arrived sealed in plastic and covered in oil.

Baseplate
The baseplate is not a standard AR15 mag baseplate, and appears to be the same as the prior Bulgarian Steel magazines that were sold by Clearview and Numrich.

Body
The magazine body is different that the prior Bulgarian Steel magazines sold by Clearview and Numrich, as there are three indentation areas on the sides as opposed to two. Thus the exterior of the bodies resemble a traditional AR15 magazine.

Followers
I haven’t taken one apart yet due to a busy schedule, but the followers appear to resemble or be the same as the followers from the prior Bulgarian Steel magazines sold by Clearview and Numrich.

Overall Construction
The mags appear well made, strong, and feel good in the hand. Although they are obviously heavier than non-steel AR mag options.

Verdict
TBD. I haven’t taken them apart or gotten to the range yet, but so far my reaction is positive, and I’m excited to see how these mags perform.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 4:59:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a ten-pack of the ones they sold a few years ago, can't remember where I got them, I think Global Ordnance maybe? Dirt cheap, I think 6.99 or so.

Heavy and very sturdy mags, have never had a malfunction with one.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 6:53:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dragynn:
I bought a ten-pack of the ones they sold a few years ago, can't remember where I got them, I think Global Ordnance maybe? Dirt cheap, I think 6.99 or so.

View Quote

There were a few threads in GD when Global Ordnance had the $5 sale on the steel mags. I bought a 10 pack on 2 separate occasions.
Heavy duty mags. I haven't had a single problem with them.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 9:44:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Foundation] [#4]
Originally Posted By 50cal:

There were a few threads in GD when Global Ordnance had the $5 sale on the steel mags. I bought a 10 pack on 2 separate occasions.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 50cal:
Originally Posted By Dragynn:

The SHK Korean Steel mags from Global Ordnance have worked well for me. I haven’t had a malfunction while using them.

I am looking forward to seeing how well the Bulgarian Steel mags compare.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 7:08:50 PM EDT
[#5]
The steel mags from Clearview were a good deal. Very heavy-duty mags that felt like they could survive most anything. I was lucky to get in on that deal a few years ago when they were still available. I have a couple loaded in my go box. Everyone has reported having good luck with them.

The ones you have look different. I presume they are not the same mags?
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 7:29:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Foundation] [#6]
Originally Posted By TheLASwamp:
The steel mags from Clearview were a good deal. Very heavy-duty mags that felt like they could survive most anything. I was lucky to get in on that deal a few years ago when they were still available. I have a couple loaded in my go box. Everyone has reported having good luck with them.

The ones you have look different. I presume they are not the same mags?
View Quote

The mags are not the same as the Clearview mags. One noticeable difference is that on the gun mag warehouse mags, the mag body has an additional vertical line. While I haven’t been able to inspect the Clearview mags, I have closely looked at pictures of them.

However, I think that, because of packaging, baseplate, and follower, it is possible that these mags are from the same manufacturer that made the Clearview mags.

I called gun mag warehouse about these mags to try and get information about the source/manufacturer, but the rep on the phone wasn’t able to provide any useful information.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:44:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Foundation:
The mags are not the same as the Clearview mags. One noticeable difference is that on the gun mag warehouse mags, the mag body has an additional vertical line. While I haven’t been able to inspect the Clearview mags, I have closely looked at pictures of them.

However, I think that, because of packaging, baseplate, and follower, it is possible that these mags are from the same manufacturer that made the Clearview mags.
View Quote

The GMW video doesn't show the baseplate, but from the side view product photos, it does look like the same baseplate and locking plate with button on the Clearview mags. It looks like the same manufacturer updated the body to look like a GI mag but kept the baseplate design. I'm sure they're very sturdy like the Clearview mags, and maybe even stronger with the additional stiffening grooves on the sides.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:00:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got 8 of the original.  Built well and has the AK type floorplate.  I'll buy some of the new style in the future.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:46:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: recon] [#9]
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top