Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/30/2024 11:25:34 PM EDT
Any serious honest opinions on the CMMG Dissent in .45 acp?

Anyone have any first hand experience with the CMMG Dissent in .45 acp?

I’m thinking I want to do an SBR in .45 acp and specifically want a bufferless system and I’m liking the dimensions and options of the Dissent.
Seeing it in pictures in the Titanium Cerakote is awesome.

I realize the $2k price tag is extreme.

Almost positive I’ll be adding a folding stock & a Rugged Obsidian 45 to complete the package.

Appreciate any input on this system.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 3:22:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it was just released last week?

I don't have the Dissent in .45 but do have it in 9mm that I 'gutted' as described on my site here: https://c3junkie.com/?page_id=1733
I have been considering to do the same thing for the Dissent in .45 but the .45 CMMG Banshee doesn't appear to have the same ejector spring failure issues that happen in 9mm / .40SW and 10mm.  So I don't know if I want to bother.

Note that you lose the ability to tune the gun since it is bufferless and a shortened carrier so you can't add weight.

See the comment by CMMG on this video:

Someone asked if the .45 Dissent can handle .45 SMC and CMMG's comment was, "With the new compact action, it is not advised to use 450 SMC. The older buffered system would."

Which goes back to my point about lack of tuning.

All that said, I think it would be fine for un-suppressed and suppressed shooting with no real need for tuning.

Here is a link to my site regarding the .45 Banshee: https://c3junkie.com/?page_id=841
I mentioned that in 9mm and .40SW I saw significant differences in the full auto cyclic rate between suppressed and not suppressed but that didn't happen with the .45 CMMG Banshee.

So again, lack of tuning is probably not a big deal in .45.  

I have stated many times before, that I don't think an out of the box CMMG RDB is impressive in regards to recoil reduction vs straight blowback for 9mm.  Like comparing to an MP5, I say like 60% there but better than straight blowback.  Now with a hydraulic buffer you are like 90% there.

Now when it comes to .45, there is no factory MP5 in .45 and if you want to compare to a UMP well that IMHO shoots like crap.  So I would say a Dissent .45 probably shoots much softer than a UMP.

In conclusion, I think it is probably a great setup.

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:27:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Princeton] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By amphibian:
I think it was just released last week?

I don't have the Dissent in .45 but do have it in 9mm that I 'gutted' as described on my site here: https://c3junkie.com/?page_id=1733
I have been considering to do the same thing for the Dissent in .45 but the .45 CMMG Banshee doesn't appear to have the same ejector spring failure issues that happen in 9mm / .40SW and 10mm.  So I don't know if I want to bother.

Note that you lose the ability to tune the gun since it is bufferless and a shortened carrier so you can't add weight.

See the comment by CMMG on this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eitjz5J1RMg

Someone asked if the .45 Dissent can handle .45 SMC and CMMG's comment was, "With the new compact action, it is not advised to use 450 SMC. The older buffered system would."

Which goes back to my point about lack of tuning.

All that said, I think it would be fine for un-suppressed and suppressed shooting with no real need for tuning.

Here is a link to my site regarding the .45 Banshee: https://c3junkie.com/?page_id=841
I mentioned that in 9mm and .40SW I saw significant differences in the full auto cyclic rate between suppressed and not suppressed but that didn't happen with the .45 CMMG Banshee.

So again, lack of tuning is probably not a big deal in .45.  

I have stated many times before, that I don't think an out of the box CMMG RDB is impressive in regards to recoil reduction vs straight blowback for 9mm.  Like comparing to an MP5, I say like 60% there but better than straight blowback.  Now with a hydraulic buffer you are like 90% there.

Now when it comes to .45, there is no factory MP5 in .45 and if you want to compare to a UMP well that IMHO shoots like crap.  So I would say a Dissent .45 probably shoots much softer than a UMP.

In conclusion, I think it is probably a great setup.

View Quote

@amphibian

Wow, didn’t realize it wasn’t even out yet. CMMG web site says shipping in approximately 10 days.

Greatly appreciate all the information you posted above.

Anyhow, I kind of impulse ordered one in .45ACP. Decided against the titanium though and went with the tungsten cerakote.

Been wanting to buy a complete  AR in .45 for a while but just wasn’t crazy about the current options. I know there are some good options available to build one and I’ve built my share of guns, AR’s included, I just didn’t want to go that route.
Then I saw the Dissent with the pic rail and decided it was the one I wanted. I’d really like it if there were more information available.
I will definitely post my impressions of it one it arrives.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top