Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2024 10:15:18 AM EDT
Did capco ever make m4a1 barrels for the military?

Came across someone selling a capco 14.5" barrel with the cage code on it, "M", "P" markings, dated, ront site base is unmarked (no F mark).

Forgive me if this Q has been asked, i couldn't find anything on the forum. Thought it was just FN and Colt, and all i could find was capco made m16a2 barrels/urg.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 12:14:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#1]
They are in my town, and made so many different things for DOD I honestly don’t know.  They produced different uppers, including SAW parts.  They used to test fire the saws at my local club and paid us for the range time.  Always closed the range for us when they were there.

I have only seen the 20”A2 uppers.

You made me look, I heard they were bought out.  Some native people investment group.

“(Valor is) a name that better resonates with our workforce and customers,” TR Kanuch, the CEO of Valor Tactical Innovation said in a written statement.

Chumash Capital Investments LLC — an investment entity of the Santa Ynez Band of the Chumash Mission Indians, a Native American tribe in Santa Ynez, California — acquired Capco in the summer of 2021.

Along with the news of the rebrand, Chumash Capital Investments also confirmed to The Daily Sentinel that layoffs of Capco staff took place before the rebrand.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 4:28:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Seems like they had/have contracts for m4 barrels

https://www.highergov.com/idv/SPRDL118D0052/
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 12:25:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PawhOz] [#3]
thanks y'all, both of you -- you are the man! I thought I responded here before.... those gov pages always ask me to create an account so I guess I'm lazy and did not spend the effort to look

However, ordered one of those capco barrels with the cage from a dude on GB.

Will leave some pictures here for reference when it arrives should anyone be looking for this info as well.

This will be interesting to see -- In the pictures the guy had it did not have an "F" marking on the FSP, and I know colt doesn't do that anymore, however, for all the "USGI" Colt barrels I've seen out there they have the "F" mark on the FSP. Curious if the dates on the barrel line-up with the contracts.
Link Posted: 3/22/2024 3:47:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PawhOz:
thanks y'all, both of you -- you are the man! I thought I responded here before.... those gov pages always ask me to create an account so I guess I'm lazy and did not spend the effort to look

However, ordered one of those capco barrels with the cage from a dude on GB.

Will leave some pictures here for reference when it arrives should anyone be looking for this info as well.

This will be interesting to see -- In the pictures the guy had it did not have an "F" marking on the FSP, and I know colt doesn't do that anymore, however, for all the "USGI" Colt barrels I've seen out there they have the "F" mark on the FSP. Curious if the dates on the barrel line-up with the contracts.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/22/2024 6:25:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:34:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

TGWLDR -- Thanks for these mentions, lot of good info I learned from your posts lol, sorry I haven't gotten around to responding.

I just got my barrel in a few days ago -- It's nice. The Capco barrel I got was sealed in the blue packaging like your picture, but the sticker was half torn-off. Included a date (03/2020, I think), cage code on barrel, MP, && had a big ol' "C" stamp at the base of the barrel where the extension is. Not sure if that means Colt, I've seen Uppers made by "FN" that had the "C" mark on them. The finish/feel on this barrel is just like the colt 14.5 I have. Only thing that is different than FN/Colt USGI 14.5 barrels I've seen is that these do NOT have the "F" mark on the FSB. Assuming that's in-line with what colt has done, it doesn't matter that much.

Will post pictures here when I get a chance for others to reference.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:51:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By PawhOz:
Did capco ever make m4a1 barrels for the military?

Came across someone selling a capco 14.5" barrel with the cage code on it, "M", "P" markings, dated, ront site base is unmarked (no F mark).

Forgive me if this Q has been asked, i couldn't find anything on the forum. Thought it was just FN and Colt, and all i could find was capco made m16a2 barrels/urg.
View Quote

Yes. Capco has made M4 replacement barrels for the US Army starting around 2014. I believe the renamed Capco is still making the enhanced M4 barrels for the Army.

Capco has, over the years made barrels for a handful of non-military/non-government customers also. The most recent that I can remember was for Rock River Arms.

Capco started making AR barrels in 1998 as part of their contract to make M14A2 Mod (upgrade) Kits. Prior to 1998, Capco only had experience manufacturing obscure pyro devices and had no experience in what I would call "real manufacturing", anything as complicated as firearms parts. The quality of their barrels was so bad in the beginning that the Army came in and shut down their manufacturing operation for the M16A2 Mod Kit contract for a year. Barrels were being shipped with headspace defects, big gangly burrs inside the barrel where the gas port was drilled, crooked gun drilling that made the POI so farr off that you couldn't adjust the sights to correct. It was ugly.

After Capco resumed production in 1999, they still had an astronomical rejection rate for barrels. By the time their contract ended around 2004, they started making decent barrels.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top