Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:20:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: APBullet] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
MAF arms
orlando Florida

'$43 for a blem 5$ shipping

View Quote

I didn't need another BCG, but for the price I ordered on just to see what arrives and the mental gymnastics going over it with a magnifying glass
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:21:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shane733] [#2]
Few weeks ago, I ordered the $19.99 LPK from CTD. What I got was not as pictured. I emailed them and they made it right. So I gave them another chance on these BCGs. I figured $10 for a chromed lined, phosphate finished, BCG was a good deal even if it was a semi-auto one. Ordered a couple and got the same as others. Not DoubleStar. It is a MG Industries Inc. / Hyper Weaponry one. It is not even chromed lined. Pretty sure its nitride instead of phosphate. And, it smells just like mold/mildew. Like it had been sitting in an old wet box in the corner of a leaky warehouse for the last few years. Pretty much CTD is still shady as crap and I got a $9 bolt carrier for 10 bucks.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:01:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: j3_] [#3]
Originally Posted By Shane733:
Few weeks ago, I ordered the $19.99 LPK from CTD. What I got was not as pictured. I emailed them and they made it right. So I gave them another chance on these BCGs. I figured $10 for a chromed lined BCG was a good deal even if it was a semi-auto one. Ordered a couple and got the same as others. Not DoubleStar. It is a MG Industries Inc. / Hyper Weaponry one. It is not even chromed lined. And, it smells just like mold/mildew. Like it had been sitting in an old wet box in the corner of a leaky warehouse for the last few years. Pretty much CTD is still shady as crap and I got a $9 bolt carrier for 10 bucks.
View Quote

Why do you think it shipped from them instead of a listed vendor. When I order stuff from them from multiple vendors it seldom all comes in one shipment. The labels on my carriers package seemed to indicate the individual packages were packaged by the vendor not CTD even if they shipped from CTD.
I can think of at least three companies that some web site listings are not supplied or shipped by them.
I am not sure they are 9$ worth. I put some 4 dollar mim keys on mine to put in my gun buy back box O parts in case they ever have one of those $250 ones around here.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:23:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shane733] [#4]
Originally Posted By j3_:

Why do you think it shipped from them instead of a listed vendor. When I order stuff from them from multiple vendors it seldom all comes in one shipment. The labels on my carriers seemed to indicate the individual packages were packaged by the vendor not CTD even if they shipped from CTD.
I can think of at least three companies that some listings are not supplied or shipped by them.
View Quote

The first order was a few different items. All came from CTD in one shipment and one box. This one was a few items and it came all at once and one package. I have ordered like DoubleStar brand products from like JSE Surplus, Palmetto State Armory, Thoroughbred Armament, AR15Discounts, MidwayUSA, Brownells, etc. I just assumed CTD was a reseller of Doublestar products like many others. This BCG seems to not have anything at all to do with DoubleStar other than they used a picture of a DoubleStar semi-auto, phosphate finished, chrome lined, bolt carrier. It is almost like they googled a picture of some random manufacture's bolt carrier that looked close to what they were offering and said, hey, let's say this is the one we are selling for $9.99. The one in the AD picture does appear to be a DoubleStar semi-auto, phosphate finished, chrome lined, bolt carrier. https://doublestarusa.com/ar15-semi-auto-bolt-carrier-group-5-56-ar100.html  But what they are shipping people is not even close other than it is a AR-15 223 / 5.56 semi-auto. Nothing else matches.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:41:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: j3_] [#5]
I had ordered the Doublestar one when it was selling the carrier with a key. It was the same MGI one with a key. CTD has had some good deals listed on Doublestar stuff with multiples of the same part packaged cheap until they apparently sell out. This was just no one of them for me anyway. I always assumed it shipped from the vendor since the other parts of the order seemed to come shipped separately.

PSA clearly states when products on their site comes from other suppliers. Have gotten multiple shipments from ordering there also. I think they call them PSA Partners in the listing.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:16:55 AM EDT
[#6]
If I remember correctly, they do / did ship from different warehouses. Back during the mail order catalog days and early internet days, it actually said which warehouse the items were at. You tried to order items coming from same warehouse to save on shipping. Also, the closer warehouse to you the better. https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Cheaper_Than_Dirt_Warehouse_Locations____where_is_7_/5-1649164/  I tried to look at their old site on the Internet Archive site but its down right now.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#7]
If I remember correctly, they do / did ship from different warehouses. Back during the mail order catalog days and early internet days, it actually said which warehouse the items were at. You tried to order items coming from same warehouse to save on shipping. Also, the closer warehouse to you the better. https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Cheaper_Than_Dirt_Warehouse_Locations____where_is_7_/5-1649164/  I tried to look at their old site on the Internet Archive site but its down right now.

View Quote

Depending on which warehouse the product in, the price would vary as well.  Their markup was based on how much they paid at the time they purchased the items.  The an LGS I frequent where the owner places a "shelf life" on every firearm.  There may be two identical models on the shelf, but one may cost less because it was placed on clearance.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:31:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: APBullet] [#8]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

The $42.69 MAF BCG showed up and here are a few pics.  The bolt has no markings so really no way to tell if it's 158,9310,or 8620.  Should be ok for a cheap build.

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:45:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Socket screws appear to have and ISO property class marking instead of one of the US standards socket screws use. Wonder where it was made.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:07:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I ordered a couple of the MAF BCGs too. Got them last week. I researched and inspected all that I could. Mine was barely staked. The screws were stamped 12.9 E G  I am still waiting on my OCKS to come in so I haven't removed the keys yet. I found no obvious defects other than the bolt cam pin hole had not been crimped. You can install the bolt 180 degrees backward. I searched the for the maker of the screws and found nothing. One place on Amazon sells the same 12.9 EG stamped screws.

I ordered a few phosphate finished, chrome lined keys from Gorilla Machining for $8 each. Ordered some OCKS from Ned Christiansen for about $2 each. Going to lap and seal the keys with OCKS and call them good for a budget build.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:45:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I ordered a couple of the MAF BCGs too. Got them last week. I researched and inspected all that I could. Mine was barely staked. The screws were stamped 12.9 E G  I am still waiting on my OCKS to come in so I haven't removed the keys yet. I found no obvious defects other than the bolt cam pin hole had not been crimped. You can install the bolt 180 degrees backward. I searched the for the maker of the screws and found nothing. One place on Amazon sells the same 12.9 EG stamped screws.

I ordered a few phosphate finished, chrome lined keys from Gorilla Machining for $8 each. Ordered some OCKS from Ned Christiansen for about $2 each. Going to lap and seal the keys with OCKS and call them good for a budget build.

https://i.imgur.com/uWRBJ3Z.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/bDdvXUY.jpeg
View Quote

I need some gas keys please update if those met what the description said. Thanks.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top