Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/23/2023 6:41:00 PM EDT
Do you guys ever remove the copper fouling from your chrome lined barrels? I use Sweets 7.62 on my hunting rifles but have never really gave it a thought to use it on my ARs. I usually just run a few patches of CLP or Hoppes #9 down the barrel and call it good. With the chrome lining it's hard to shine a light in and see if there is any copper fouling.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 3:52:38 AM EDT
[#1]
If it is built up and affecting performance, use the hard stuff. Otherwise, H#9 soak and a little JB paste.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 7:47:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Depends on what your usage is. For a range gun that you shoot occasionally I would not worry about it. Even the Army does not care about copper. CLP does nothing to get that out.

Link Posted: 12/24/2023 8:50:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Can’t get much copper fouling out with a bore snake and CLP which is all I ever use on my ARs.  Haven’t noticed any accuracy issues with my CL or non-CL barrels.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 3:53:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Not that I’ve deemed it necessary, but I do it around the 4-5K mark.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 7:14:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I clean my rifle barrels every time their used. Usually range days are 100 at a minimum, so I think it's just good practice but that's just my opinion.

For AR I use a bore guide, dewy one piece rod, a few passes with Butch's bore shine, bore brush followed by a few patches with a bore jag. I'm not married to Butch's and may try something else down the road, but it seems to work well.

I figure this will prevent copper build up.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 7:54:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Beater9C1:
I clean my rifle barrels every time their used. Usually range days are 100 at a minimum, so I think it's just good practice but that's just my opinion.

For AR I use a bore guide, dewy one piece rod, a few passes with Butch's bore shine, bore brush followed by a few patches with a bore jag. I'm not married to Butch's and may try something else down the road, but it seems to work well.

I figure this will prevent copper build up.
View Quote

It will prevent copper build up, sure, but you're also cleaning substantially more than needed. Using a bore guide you should be fine but that is still a ton of unnecessary work.

FWIW I will use Butch's when accuracy falls off but until then I go easy on barrel cleaning. Usually a wipe down/lube of the BCG and a bore snake every few hundred rounds or so if suppressed, if unsuppressed longer.
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 4:32:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Copper fouling... I went through the trouble of using a copper solvent and patched my 20" 5.56 gun until it was copper free. I then learned where the term " fouling shot" came from. It took 5 shots before it started grouping again. After some research I started finding some precision shooters don't ever use copper solvents. That copper fouling doesn't keep building up. It hits a point where it just fills the imperfections and reaches homeostasis.

IDK how right or wrong that is but I stopped dealing with copper fouling a decade ago and haven't seen any accuracy issues.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 4:53:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Homesteader375:
Copper fouling... I went through the trouble of using a copper solvent and patched my 20" 5.56 gun until it was copper free. I then learned where the term " fouling shot" came from. It took 5 shots before it started grouping again. After some research I started finding some precision shooters don't ever use copper solvents. That copper fouling doesn't keep building up. It hits a point where it just fills the imperfections and reaches homeostasis.

IDK how right or wrong that is but I stopped dealing with copper fouling a decade ago and haven't seen any accuracy issues.
View Quote

I've met a few precision shooters who only use JB Bore paste to clean the excess copper. It doesn't remove all of it like a solvent will, but removes it from the surface of the bore, and smooths over what is filling the pits. I've also read this years a go in some mag, but not clue how true it is. I guess it works for them, and as long as it's consistent I guess that's what really matters.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 9:38:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M1A4ME] [#9]
I bought some Bore Tech copper remover/cleaner and it worked pretty good.  I was using it on a couple pistol barrels, not rifle barrels.

Really pretty bluish/green color on the patches at first and then it fades as you keep using newer patches.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 11:12:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I had copper fouling and verdigris build up in an AR barrel that was improperly stored.  I couldn't get a bore rod or brush into the barrel due to the build up.  

Kroil didn't to a thing for it.  I plugged it and sprayed Liquid Wrench inside and let it set for 24 hours.  A bore brush pushed right through and the pile of debris was impressive.  The chrome bore was intact and undamaged.  At the start, I honestly thought the barrel was ruined, and that is how I found this site, the ARFCOM, while intarweb searching for replacement barrel pricing.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 10:47:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Is it too late to invite people to the proper break-in cult?
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 10:57:17 AM EDT
[#12]
judging by the green copper salts on my muzzle devices hoppe's no. 9 is already taking care of this for me
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 9:03:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I generally use boretech eliminator on everything including the insides of the bcg and bolt. It removes everything fairly well and then I clean normally.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top