Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2023 9:41:43 PM EDT
Is there an easy way to clean the trigger group of an AR15? I don't like to douse it in cleaner/slovent because there is grease I put in the pin and inside the trigger and hammer axis. This would require a full disassembly too apply correctly again. Do you just wipe it clean from the outside?
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 10:00:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m200maker] [#1]
I don’t shoot suppressed because my state sucks. But I usually just squirt a bunch of CLP in clean up with Q-Tips and let it leach out onto a rag. If I do a deep cleaning on anything I take it apart completely.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 10:30:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Wipe down the interior of the trigger well as best you can and lube as necessary.

Don't over think it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2023 11:40:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mo4040:
Wipe down the interior of the trigger well as best you can and lube as necessary.

Don't over think it.
View Quote

That what I do but it's getting sooty on the crevices from shooting a lot suppressed.
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 7:46:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Air compressor, works great getting the particles out without dissasembly of the FCG.
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 7:54:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Spray with compressed air. Lube as needed.
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 9:50:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Air compressor is definitely your friend

RCA
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 9:55:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 5:29:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Air for sure. Non chlorinated brake cleaner is good but definitely strips out the lube. One thing that works in the interim is a shot of windex or other light household spray cleaner and a small artist's paint brush. Give it a squirt, use the brush to loosen up crud in the corners, another quick squirt with clean water,  blow it out with compressed air.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 7:38:17 PM EDT
[#9]
The Q-Tips with a long wooden handle from Brownell's work pretty well to wipe down the hard to get to places.

Bob R
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 10:33:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By d16man:

This.  I wipe out as much as I can, then blow it out, then relube.
View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 12/3/2023 10:35:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#11]
Originally Posted By robertmegar:

That what I do but it's getting sooty on the crevices from shooting a lot suppressed.
View Quote

My 300 gets caked with carbon in the lower shooting suppressed and I've found that my air compressor does a good job blowing that crud out. Then long wooden cleaning q tips for any hard to get spots. Usually don't need to do that though.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 12:44:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver:

My 300 gets caked with carbon in the lower shooting suppressed and I've found that my air compressor does a good job blowing that crud out. Then long wooden cleaning q tips for any hard to get spots. Usually don't need to do that though.
View Quote

I’m a long wooden q-tip fiend. I buy them by the thousands and will use about 50 each time I clean. I also started buying the swab-it foam Amazon knock offs. They are super cheap compared to the real (overpriced) Swab-It’s.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 2:01:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Ain’t nobody got time fo that.

1. Invert over shop garbage can and irrigate liberally with non-chlorinated brake-clean
2. Blow out with compressed air
3. Lubricate

Clean, lubed, and done in about 2 minutes.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 9:09:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By MemeWarfare:

1. Invert over shop garbage can and irrigate liberally with non-chlorinated brake-clean
3. Lubricate

View Quote

This, but carb cleaner.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 9:41:44 AM EDT
[#15]

3. Lubricate

View Quote

This has worked well for me.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 1:10:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TAG_Match:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TAG_Match:

3. Lubricate

When really dirty....this is the way
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 12:50:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By robertmegar:
Is there an easy way to clean the trigger group of an AR15? I don't like to douse it in cleaner/slovent because there is grease I put in the pin and inside the trigger and hammer axis. This would require a full disassembly too apply correctly again. Do you just wipe it clean from the outside?
View Quote

Contaminants will sit in the grease with or without cleaning. If they’re in your trigger pins you will have to remove the grease to remove the contaminants.  I wouldn’t do more than wipe down excessive contaminants and move on until you think the pins should be removed and cleaned.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 5:50:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Spray it out with gun scrubber, lube.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 9:53:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Air compressor is your friend.

RCA
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 10:30:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By ChrisNTN:
Air compressor, works great getting the particles out without dissasembly of the FCG.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 11:07:30 PM EDT
[#21]

3. Lubricate

View Quote

Basically the same here

After blowing out the brake cleaner I spray it with a spray lubricant (I use Tri-Flow) then blow out the excess lube and wipe it down.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 10:25:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WhisperPickle] [#22]
I mean, it takes <60 seconds to remove the grip and trigger pins…if it’s that bad just remove them and clean it. In between those times, a little CLP and some long wooden q tips work just fine.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:57:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By TN-MadDog:

Basically the same here

After blowing out the brake cleaner I spray it with a spray lubricant (I use Tri-Flow) then blow out the excess lube and wipe it down.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TN-MadDog:

3. Lubricate

Basically the same here

Best degreaser.  Leaves a thin oil coat instead of bone dry.

For a finer point..............Floway is the best for this project.  It is twice as expensive as brake cleaner.  But because you use so little, and it is so much better, this is what I use on all my trigger groups.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:19:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#24]
Hose out with brake cleaner. Then spray with lube.
Wipe any lube that weeps/wicks to the outside.
Get the chlorinated brake cleaner, too.

Good way to do inside the upper, too.

And BCG.

And receiver extension.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:23:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By xciapup:

Best degreaser.  Leaves a thin oil coat instead of bone dry.

For a finer point..............Floway is the best for this project.  It is twice as expensive as brake cleaner.  But because you use so little, and it is so much better, this is what I use on all my trigger groups.
View Quote

I find claims of something being a great degreaser and then also being good at lubricating after the fact to be suspect.  

If it was such a good degreaser... how is it going to leave grease behind.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:58:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: xciapup] [#26]
Originally Posted By Millennial:

I find claims of something being a great degreaser and then also being good at lubricating after the fact to be suspect.  

If it was such a good degreaser... how is it going to leave grease behind.
View Quote

Never said it was for lubricating.  And KANO does not even mention this property in their description.

And I agree with your position.  Why CLP always seemed strange.

Floway gives you a just a little more time between degreasing and surface rust.  It cleans just as well.

Machine Lubrication Tech 1
Machine Lubricant Analyst 1
International Council for Machine Lubrication
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:06:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Homesteader375:
Air for sure. Non chlorinated brake cleaner is good but definitely strips out the lube. One thing that works in the interim is a shot of windex or other light household spray cleaner and a small artist's paint brush. Give it a squirt, use the brush to loosen up crud in the corners, another quick squirt with clean water,  blow it out with compressed air.
View Quote

That's what I use.  The non-chlorinated stuff is usually a mix of acetone and methanol which won't hurt anything (acetone doesn't disolve nylon).  I use Gunzilla on a brush where I can and then squirt liberally with brake cleaner and then a few drops of oil.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:24:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I brush off as much crud as I can with a solvent soaked brush.  Then I spay brake cleaner to to remove the solvent follies by compressed air blower.  Then apply lube.

If you don’t want to use solvent use a dry brush, no brake cleaner and compressed air.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 8:33:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dalle0001] [#29]
I just fill up the sink with hot water, and put some simple green hd in it, and dip the lower in there and scrub it with a brush. Afterwards I run it through the clean water for a few seconds and then shake it and use a air cleaner and some q-tips to clean up. Afterwards just oil as desired.

It's really just metal that's no different from cleaning any other kind of metal. Do you use brake cleaners on your pots and pans after cooking with them? Do you oil your grill after you clean it and spray it with water? So why would a firearm be any different or react differently to the same procedures?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 7:38:18 AM EDT
[#30]
I cannot recall a single instance where washing a lower receiver group in water even remotely sounded like a good idea.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 1:41:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:
I cannot recall a single instance where washing a lower receiver group in water even remotely sounded like a good idea.
View Quote

Try it one time. You'll be pleasantly surprised! Fill it up with hot water, some purple green hd or dawn dish soap, and scrub, wash with clean hot water, and then dry it out. It won't rust, and it'll be cleaner than it was before. Not a joke post btw.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 1:43:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dalle0001] [#32]
The only sort of "famous" youtuber who is probably one of the better youtube gun channels even clean his rifles and pistols with water and soap:

I clean it very similarly but instead of a bar of soap or separate water tub, I just combine it to a water/soap solution. Shooting suppressed will make it even dirtier so scrubbing it inside the water is a better idea.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:06:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dragynn] [#33]
Couple points:

1. Do NOT use chlorinated brake parts cleaner on ANYTHING EVER. That shit will cause metal fatigue and tiny cracks over time. Look it up.

2. Just blowing into a dirty receiver with a high-pressure air nozzle, will also force some grit into small places as well as displace some. Air should only be used to dry it all out after hitting it with whatever cleaner.

3. "Oil if it turns, grease if it slides". Grease is not necessary in the pin holes of trigger parts, oil is fine, grease should used mainly on slidy parts. So it works just fine to use the cleaning method many have described in this thread, non-chlorinated brake cleaner, followed by air, followed by spraying lube using a tube to get right in there where pins go through and get some inside, drip/wipe excess oil, then grease sliding parts lightly.

ETA: Not sayin grease is wrong for pin holes, just saying if you don't want to break it all down during a clean, then oil is the way. When I first assemble a rilfe I usually grease the holes, and also if I do a deep clean where I take everything apart. But for in between, hosing it out and showering with oil is the way to go.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:19:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By dalle0001:

Try it one time. You'll be pleasantly surprised! Fill it up with hot water, some purple green hd or dawn dish soap, and scrub, wash with clean hot water, and then dry it out. It won't rust, and it'll be cleaner than it was before. Not a joke post btw.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dalle0001:

I've done it for years with black powder guns.

Never seen a need with an AR.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:29:01 PM EDT
[#35]
I use brake cleaner but also have a couple of receivers with egged holes so don't do what I do. Also I use simple green and water from the hose in the back yard a lot too. Depends on the season. Air compressor makes drying em quick.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:36:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:
Couple points:

1. Do NOT use chlorinated brake parts cleaner on ANYTHING EVER. That shit will cause metal fatigue and tiny cracks over time. Look it up.
View Quote

Uh, no. Either is fine,  but I have more trouble finding chlorinated.  No company is going to risk the liability of damaging automotive brake components, which are safety items. https://www.berrymanproducts.com/chlorinated-vs-non-chlorinated-brake-cleaner/
Link Posted: Today 4:35:18 AM EDT
[#37]
View Quote

I don't always use water but in this case I used a garden hose.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: Today 6:11:30 AM EDT
[#38]
View Quote

Works well.  Just have to ensure everything is DRY and then lube it.  Pretty common to clean out black powder firearm actions and lockwork by scrubbing submerged in soapy water.

Personally, I find Brake Cleaner to be way easier.  it evaporates in 87 seconds then spray some lube in there.
Link Posted: Today 6:31:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#39]
Originally Posted By Dragynn:
Couple points:

1. Do NOT use chlorinated brake parts cleaner on ANYTHING EVER. That shit will cause metal fatigue and tiny cracks over time. Look it up....
View Quote

Chloride/Chlorine induced stress corrosion cracking is not an issue at all for cleaning an ar15.

a) Mostly only affects titanium alloys or high nickel content alloys (ie: austenitic stainless)... neither of which is a concern for cleaning an AR15.  The receivers are aluminum, the tough hard bits are going to be alloy steel, springs aren't stainless,  416R stainless barrels are martensitic (not austenitic), and 17-4PH stainless parts are duplex (not austenitic), and any screws you have that are "stainless" should be a high strength corrosion resistant alloy and not garbage soft 18-8/304/316.  The only thing I'd be concerned about is brake cleaner softening or melting polymer - and that's easy enough to check on a small obscure location before hosing it down.  

b) Even if you had susceptible stainless alloys on your AR15, which you shouldn't, it's simply not an issue at room temperatures.  Chlorine induced SCC in ferrous nickel alloys occurs almost exclusively in temperatures over 60C/150F.  
Link Posted: Today 7:54:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#40]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/110877/Dirty_guns_jpg-3204256.JPG
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/110877/Dirty_guns_jpg-3204256.JPG

That may be one case where I'd consider it.
Link Posted: Today 7:57:10 AM EDT
[#41]

Works well.  Just have to ensure everything is DRY and then lube it.  Pretty common to clean out black powder firearm actions and lockwork by scrubbing submerged in soapy water.

Personally, I find Brake Cleaner to be way easier.  it evaporates in 87 seconds then spray some lube in there.
View All Quotes

Yeah, I've spent many an hour scrubbing BP guns out in soapy water, just never a lower receiver group.

Carb cleaner and compressed air followed by aerosol G96 is my preferred these days.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top