Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Jakl Variant
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2023 6:08:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Princeton]
Going to buy a JAKL build kit soon and was trying to see pictures of them on the internet so I have an idea exactly what I want to end up with.
The more pictures I look at confuses me as to what to expect as far as the shade of FDE. Some of the pictures are what I expect while others go both darker, almost mud to lighter, almost sand colored.
I know there’s no standard for FDE and different manufacturers finishes as well as different treated materials have differing hues of the color but what I’m specifically trying to get a handle on is the JAKL upper from PSA.

Is what I’m seeing on the internet in fact various shades of FDE from PSA or can I attribute it to the picture taker, quality of the picture, camera, lighting, etc?

No chance it’s a deal breaker for me, I’m buying regardless.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 1:52:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wess_norman] [#1]
I had this same question when ordering my FDE jakl because I had seen several variations of the color online. The upper and lower on the unit I received are actually TOTALLY different colors but I honestly don’t hate it… Although if I had to choose I would definitely prefer the upper be the same shade as the lower, which is a bit darker.

Opening the box was quite a surprise considering the product images on the site show color matched parts. Now I’m wondering which shade of FDE to expect if I decide to order a 10.5” upper in the future    

Link Posted: 4/4/2023 4:12:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spyderboy03] [#2]
Every batch of the same color FDE will be slightly different in shade. Meaning, Cerakote Magpul FDE or Rustoleum Coyote can vary from bottle to bottle. Parts have to be painted from the same batch of paint to have the best chance of matching. Even then they can vary slightly.
Link Posted: 6/24/2023 2:16:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Princeton] [#3]
Just wanted to post an update on this question I had a while back.

I had an Aero Precision FDE lower and bought a FDE Jakl build kit and finally had a chance to mate them.

The colors are definitely different but honestly it doesn’t concern me as much as I thought it would.
Also, when I bought the stock nobody had a FDE folder in stock so I bought black figuring I could use it until I could pick up a FDE one but I like the look of the black.

The finished gun is really incredible. I wish I hadn’t waited so long to build this.

Haven’t shot it yet but did take a few pictures:
One picture to show a closeup of the variations:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/25/2023 6:18:40 AM EDT
[#4]
sexy  -  i like it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 7:44:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Princeton:
Just wanted to post an update on this question I had a while back.

I had an Aero Precision FDE lower and bought a FDE Jakl build kit and finally had a chance to mate them.

The colors are definitely different but honestly it doesn’t concern me as much as I thought it would.
Also, when I bought the stock nobody had a FDE folder in stock so I bought black figuring I could use it until I could pick up a FDE one but I like the look of the black.

The finished gun is really incredible. I wish I hadn’t waited so long to build this.

Haven’t shot it yet but did take a few pictures:
One picture to show a closeup of the variations:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1241/4736F899-4A76-4A85-930A-D3EFA300F431_jpe-2862012.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1241/B0368B25-9DDE-411A-AFCF-4E852B31D52A_jpe-2863214.JPG
View Quote

My God, it's beautiful.
Page AR-15 » AR Jakl Variant
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top