BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/19/2024 9:34:00 PM EDT
Anybody have any idea which of these would be the factory M4 handguards that came on a Colt 6920? I bought a new 6920 back in 2013 and took the standard handguards off and put a RAS on it. I'm going to sell the 6920 and I want to put the factory handguards back on it.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:50:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Bottom set with shiny aluminum.

The black one are after market and I have forgotten who made them.

18Z50
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:51:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 50-140] [#2]
Bottom with the aluminum heat shields.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:07:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Colt M4 handguards will have double heat shields, aluminum/shiny.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:09:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OTDR] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 18B30:
Bottom set with shiny aluminum.

The black one are after market and I have forgotten who made them.

18Z50
View Quote

Dont Colts have dual heat shields?

EDIT; Tig beat me while I was typing lol.

The answer to OPs question is neither.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:11:38 PM EDT
[#5]
2013 era Colt M4:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:13:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks everyone. I have no idea where the others came from then, maybe a Stag upper I bought years ago. I could have sworn it was the black ones that were Colt but it's been so long since I took them off I couldn't remember.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:14:04 PM EDT
[#7]

I bought this 6920 in April of 2013 before Wal mart decided black guns were evil.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:17:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SPTiger:

I bought this 6920 in April of 2013 before Wal mart decided black guns were evil.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

The Walmart blow out on Colts was epic. 6920s for sub $800 was salad days for sure.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:25:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Just from a fading memory going back 10+ years of so, the top set of HG's with the dual anodized black shields (with nipples in the center) were used by both Factory Spikes Tactical and BCM M4 rifles.  They are high quality parts, stiff but without sharp or rough edges.  Second only to Factory Colt handguards in that regard.  Could have been used by others, maybe earlier Stag Arms rifles too.

The bottom set is/has been mostly used by PSA and others in the past.  Most were single-shield but could be double, depends on the model.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:32:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Nope. Factory handguards use trough and ridge to align the handguards…not peg and hole.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:41:50 PM EDT
[#11]
pay attention to the yellow high heat glue on the inside corners of the double heat shields. also the material is harder not common cheap plastic that melts like others.

with that said ive seen new factory colts that colt shipped aftermarket handguards on from time to time civilian maybe some were LE also. certain batches had junk handguards at random for some reason.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 10:58:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OTDR] [#12]
Here is a set of 2013 Colt take offs I took off a new rifle, even says DO NOT REMOVE on the dual heat shields.

Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:18:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Anybody have any idea which of these would be the factory M4 handguards that came on a Colt 6920? I bought a new 6920 back in 2013 and took the standard handguards off and put a RAS on it. I'm going to sell the 6920 and I want to put the factory handguards back on it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41398/hanguards-3192742.jpg
View Quote

None of those are Colt M4 hand guards.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:47:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By SSeric02:

View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41398/hanguards-3192742.jpg

Now I'm really confused. I've never sold an upper with standard handguards on it, and the only handguards I've taken off were Stag or the ones on the 6920. I have no idea what would have happened to them, all my AR parts are in the same place they've always been.

Anyway, I appreciate all the information.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:45:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I mean most people toss them or take them off and put them in a parts bin anyways. Just put the handguards you have on it and sell the upper as-is with disclosure. It’s not like it will affect the value much if at all on a used upper.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:53:06 AM EDT
[#16]

Now I'm really confused. I've never sold an upper with standard handguards on it, and the only handguards I've taken off were Stag or the ones on the 6920. I have no idea what would have happened to them, all my AR parts are in the same place they've always been.

View Quote

TGWLDR and OTDR posted photos of what genuine Colt M4 hand guards will look like for reference. Early examples were glued in to keep troops from taking out the heat shields and bending them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:59:26 AM EDT
[#17]

TGWLDR and OTDR posted photos of what genuine Colt M4 hand guards will look like for reference. Early examples were glued in to keep troops from taking out the heat shields and bending them.
View Quote

The ones I posted pics of are glued in. The glue has been moved to underneath so you don't see it easily but its there.

Never knew they were glued in to keep Troops from removing them, though that seems plausible.

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:05:48 AM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

Why? Because some anal deck jockey officer or Sgt wanted a spit shined weapon?
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:09:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By fxntime:

View Quote

No, because the heat shields can get bent down the middle or the retaining tabs tabs broken off and might not fit back in again.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:13:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By OTDR:

The ones I posted pics of are glued in. The glue has been moved to underneath so you don't see it easily but its there.

Never knew they were glued in to keep Troops from removing them, though that seems plausible.

View Quote

There you go, didn't know they were glued underneath. All the examples I've got or handled had the very visible blobs of glue (dating myself?) and I'd only ever seen photos of the more recent versions like yours.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:22:51 AM EDT
[#21]

No, because the heat shields can get bent down the middle or the retaining tabs tabs broken off and might not fit back in again.
View All Quotes

I don't understand ever removing the heat shields on any type of M/AR handguard.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:29:09 AM EDT
[#22]

I don't understand ever removing the heat shields on any type of M/AR handguard.
View Quote

Ill planned weight reduction attempt?
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:31:12 AM EDT
[#23]
I bought a Colt M4 barrel from here a couple of years ago, it has 6 holes vs 7, never really gave it much thought. Other than the number of holes what's the difference or were they on different years different models?
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:40:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By cms81586:
I mean most people toss them or take them off and put them in a parts bin anyways. Just put the handguards you have on it and sell the upper as-is with disclosure. It’s not like it will affect the value much if at all on a used upper.
View Quote

I took them off and put a KAC M4 RAS on it, but I’ve never fired it. The rifle is new. I stuck it in the back of the safe and forgot about it. I’ll probably just sell it with the RAS on it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:43:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By 0100010:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 0100010:

Winter ''warm hands'' field exercise.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 9:52:28 AM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

Haver you ever dragged an M16/M4 with you through a night infiltration course or a mud hole at basic or infantry training, and afterwards every nook and cranny of thew weapon, including the hand guards, is filled with mud?
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:05:16 AM EDT
[#27]
I went dumpster diving in CO once & found about 40 sets of them in all kinds of conditions. A lot didnt have any heat shields left. It was a good day…
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:06:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By JimmyAR:
I bought a Colt M4 barrel from here a couple of years ago, it has 6 holes vs 7, never really gave it much thought. Other than the number of holes what's the difference or were they on different years different models?
View Quote

That sounds like the earlier pre-M4 carbine hand guards, which have a thinner profile and only a single heat shield. They were found on most of the Colt military carbine variations from the Vietnam era up through the late 80s/early 90s when the double heat shield M4 hand guards were introduced.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:16:18 AM EDT
[#29]

That sounds like the earlier pre-M4 carbine hand guards, which have a thinner profile and only a single heat shield. They were found on most of the Colt military carbine variations from the Vietnam era up through the late 80s/early 90s when the double heat shield M4 hand guards were introduced.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JimmyAR:

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 10:42:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SPTiger] [#30]
Well, I’m an idiot. Apparently some time ago I took the RAS off and put the factory hand guards back on. Getting old sucks. I started this thread before I took the gun out of the safe to see what was still on it. 🤦‍♂️

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:18:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Well,  you found them!  
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:53:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By emmetf:
Well,  you found them!  
View Quote

Yep!
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 6:26:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WarDawg] [#34]
I got my Colt 6920 in 2013 from a Walmart in Wake Forest NC. I can’t remember the price.  I just wanted it.  I remember they walked me to the front door with them carrying the rifle in the box. Handed it to me at the sliding entrance doors.  Lol.  I guess I understand. I still have the carbine.  I thought about getting rid of it since I got a SoCom now.  But I can’t do it.  You’re stronger than me.  Attachment Attached File
 WardawgAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 8:11:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By WarDawg:
I got my Colt 6920 in 2013 from a Walmart in Wake Forest NC. I can’t remember the price.  I just wanted it.  I remember they walked me to the front door with them carrying the rifle in the box. Handed it to me at the sliding entrance doors.  Lol.  I guess I understand. I still have the carbine.  I thought about getting rid of it since I got a SoCom now.  But I can’t do it.  You’re stronger than me.  https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/26301/IMG_0677_jpeg-3194128.JPG  Wardawghttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/26301/IMG_7058_jpeg-3194130.JPG
View Quote

I don’t know about selling it now. Been watching videos about this new ATF bullshit rule and it’s got me scared about selling any gun.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:56:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: OTDR] [#36]
I got my Colt 6920 in 2013 from a Walmart in Wake Forest NC. I can’t remember the price.  I just wanted it.  I remember they walked me to the front door with them carrying the rifle in the box. Handed it to me at the sliding entrance doors.  Lol.  I guess I understand. I still have the carbine.  I thought about getting rid of it since I got a SoCom now.  But I can’t do it.  You’re stronger than me.  
View Quote

I once one Saturday morning went into a Walmart, bought some Bacon and Eggs, a Colt AR-15 and a 30rd Pmag. Ahh the good old days.

And just wanting it as you say is the absolute best reason to get something.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:04:16 AM EDT
[#37]

I don’t know about selling it now. Been watching videos about this new ATF bullshit rule and it’s got me scared about selling any gun.
View Quote

TRUTH
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:45:03 AM EDT
[#38]

I once one Saturday morning went into a Walmart, bought some Bacon and Eggs, a Colt AR-15 and a 30rd Pmag. Ahh the good old days.

View All Quotes
I got my Colt 6920 in 2013 from a Walmart in Wake Forest NC. I can’t remember the price.  I just wanted it.  I remember they walked me to the front door with them carrying the rifle in the box. Handed it to me at the sliding entrance doors.  Lol.  I guess I understand. I still have the carbine.  I thought about getting rid of it since I got a SoCom now.  But I can’t do it.  You’re stronger than me.  

I snoozed on one and lost.  I saw it in the display case walked out and got in the car, thought about it and said f--k it, I am going to buy it as it was the last one. Went back in and a guy was buying it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:59:17 AM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

I’d hold onto it just for the fact of why not if you don’t have a reason or need to sell it. I have a 6920 upper laying around after I bought a one of the 6921 upper deals from a few years back. I’m gonna toss it on an aero lower as a “arm the neighbors in case of emergency” extra to have laying around.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 7:57:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#40]
The top set looks like what came on a 10.5” Noveske N4 upper that I bought around 2008 or 2009.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 9:12:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By JoshNC:
The top set looks like what came on a 10.5” Noveske N4 upper that I bought around 2008 or 2009.
View Quote

Well, I’ve never had a Noveske. Wish I did though. I’m pretty sure the bottom ones came off a Stag upper, and the black lined ones were on my 10.5” CMMG 9mm upper.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:22:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:
View Quote

Colt sold plenty of stuff with 'carbine' handguards over the years. (more than one different sort of 'carbine' hand guard depending on the time frame as well)

Early Colt M4 guards top (before they started the glue shit) and the last version of the 'Carbine' hand guards before they discontinued them entirely bottom.

I personally prefer the carbine hand guards if not going with an aluminum rail of some sort or another. Fit better in my hand, allow for faster cooling of the barrels due to the design of the single heat shield (look at the holes in each and consider how the air would 'flow' when comparing the double vs the single shield types).

Have swapped more than a few factory M4 guards with Colt Carbine guards for reasons above... :)

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 2:49:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Aaron56:

Colt sold plenty of stuff with 'carbine' handguards over the years. (more than one different sort of 'carbine' hand guard depending on the time frame as well)

Early Colt M4 guards top (before they started the glue shit) and the last version of the 'Carbine' hand guards before they discontinued them entirely bottom.
https://i.imgur.com/zJy7PPb.jpg

I personally prefer the carbine hand guards if not going with an aluminum rail of some sort or another. Fit better in my hand, allow for faster cooling of the barrels due to the design of the single heat shield (look at the holes in each and consider how the air would 'flow' when comparing the double vs the single shield types).

https://i.imgur.com/NrXwtzY.jpg

Have swapped more than a few factory M4 guards with Colt Carbine guards for reasons above... :)

View All Quotes

The only Colt's that I've come across with the single heat shield oval guards have been the Colt Competition and Expanse series. Neither of which has overly impressed me personally.

The milspec M4 oval handguards do a pretty damn god job regarding heat dissipation IME. The skinny guards definitely heat up faster under sustained fire.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:00:45 AM EDT
[#44]

The Walmart blow out on Colts was epic. 6920s for sub $800 was salad days for sure.
View Quote

Someone I know picked up both a Magpul 6920 and a 6920 SOCOM at that sub-800 price point. All the Walmarts are a long ways from my area, so no chance for me.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:00:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JoshNC] [#45]

View Quote

The earliest Colt M4 handguards are shiny with glued in heat shields. I’ve never seen a set of Colt handguards with the cylindrical locking posts like you’re showing in your photo. That’s a feature on aftermarket , non-Colt handguards. Those could have been included in the Expanse line, but I can say with certainty that I’ve never seen a true set of Colt milspec M4 handguards with those. The 7-hole carbine handguard was an Expanse line handguard. Neither of those are what any Colt collector would call genuine Colt.

Colt 6520 and 6721 uppers had 6-hole single heat shield fiberlite shiny carbine handguards until Colt ran out and started using M4 handguards. By the time they made that switch, they were using the more matte slightly textured M4 handguard, not the earlier shiny M4 handguard.

I have a dozen or more examples that were all pulled from Colt rifles over the last 25+ years.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:04:51 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By LeadBreakfast:

Someone I know picked up both a Magpul 6920 and a 6920 SOCOM at that sub-800 price point. All the Walmarts are a long ways from my area, so no chance for me.
View All Quotes

It’s still salad days. You can find Colt 6920 OEM 1 and 2 for around $750.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:29:25 AM EDT
[#47]

The earliest Colt M4 handguards are shiny with glued in heat shields. I’ve never seen a set of Colt handguards with the cylindrical locking posts like you’re showing in your photo. That’s a feature on aftermarket , non-Colt handguards. Those could have been included in the Expanse line, but I can say with certainty that I’ve never seen a true set of Colt milspec M4 handguards with those. The 7-hole carbine handguard was an Expanse line handguard. Neither of those are what any Colt collector would call genuine Colt.
View Quote

Regardless of if Colt made it themselves 'in-house' or subcontracted the particular parts out to another company - If they were were shipping / selling carbines with those parts on them as part of whatever Colt factory configuration - Then, Yes they are 'Colt' parts.

No different than the current CR series garbage they sell with the non-Schmid triggers / trigger parts; unmarked carriers (that they have not made 'in-house' for a looong time now); barrels that may be marked / actually made by Rosco, Green Mountain, etc...  

And no, the earliest of the M4 hand guards did not have glue. That was added / required later on down the line as crayon eaters were removing them and making a mess of them in the process. Same with respect to the Colt rifle length hand guard heat shields. They oldest sets in my collection do not have and did not come with any glue. Later versions of the same exact guards do have the glue for the same reasons.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:38:34 AM EDT
[#48]

The milspec M4 oval handguards do a pretty damn god job regarding heat dissipation IME. The skinny guards definitely heat up faster under sustained fire.
View Quote

Yes, The heat escapes the barrel faster with the skinny guards.

M4 guards are designed to keep your hands cooler - not the barrel...
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:05:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LeadBreakfast] [#49]

View All Quotes

Oh absolutely, his was back in 2013 or 14 IIRC and it was a steal then.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 4:48:46 PM EDT
[#50]

Well, I’ve never had a Noveske. Wish I did though. I’m pretty sure the bottom ones came off a Stag upper, and the black lined ones were on my 10.5” CMMG 9mm upper.
View Quote

My Stag upper from 09 had handguards exsctly like your bottom ones. Before I put a Larue quad rail on…

#backintheday
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top