Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/22/2024 1:45:33 PM EDT
I tried to search but there wasn't a lot of discussion on 9mm bolts.  What's the current go to 9mm bolt?  I'm specifically looking for compatibility with Colt 9mm mags.

Spooky
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:58:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I went with Faxon, but if it weren't on sale I would likely have gone with something else.  There isn't much to them, honestly.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:13:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By s4s4u:
I went with Faxon, but if it weren't on sale I would likely have gone with something else.  There isn't much to them, honestly.
View Quote

There isn't much but you can find them from $90 to $250+.  About the only thing that has me thinking is an easy to clean coating.

Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:23:28 PM EDT
[#3]
https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/rifle-parts/rifle-bolts-bolt-carrier-groups/ar-15-brownells-9mm-bolt-carrier-group/

Whatever you decide to get, make sure you get one with the external extractor.  Internal extractors cause issues.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:06:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Spooky130:
I tried to search but there wasn't a lot of discussion on 9mm bolts.  What's the current go to 9mm bolt?  I'm specifically looking for compatibility with Colt 9mm mags.

Spooky
View Quote

1st....you've been here 23 years.....you have to know the search feature on the forum is useless.
Use Google to search for previous threads.

2nd....Know the differences in the bolt cut out you need for a colt mag

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Collt-glock-cut-bolt-difference-/15-738388/

Previous thread asking the same exact question....

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Colt-style-9mm-bolt-options-/15-784462/?page=1&anc=bottom#bottom

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:37:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Blowback9] [#5]
I've done quite a bit of research into various 9mm bolts.  I currently have B.Kings, Brownells, Kaw Valley, Foxtrot Mike, Alpha Shooting Sports, Mercury Precision, and a Taccom short stroke.  My current go-to is now the B. Kings Firearms bolt.  It's the generic version of many big name branded bolts and it's almost always the best price.  I have three and none of them have ever given me a problem despite being in a mix of upper/lower configurations that I swap back and forth for testing and experimentation.

It appears all the following bolts are made by the same OEM supplier, Outerwild Manufacturing, just branded differently. They all have essentially identical profile/design and this design seems to be the most compatible with a wide variety of builds due to the underside contours and feature set.  They use an external 5.56 extractor, are both Colt and Glock compatible, and work with Law Tactical folders.

B. King’s Firearms
Kaw Valley Precision
Outerwild Outpost (OEM)
Faxon
Angstadt Arms
Brownell’s Hybrid Colt/Glock bolt (NOT “Glock-only”!)
Shooting Innovations
FailZero
Iron City Rifle Works
PAMAX Tactical
AT3 Tactical
A1 Armory
Big Texas Ordinance/White Label
Element Armament/White Label
JSE Surplus/White Label
Big Daddy Unlimited
Guntec
3CR Tactical
Bad Attitude Dept.
Mid State Firearms
Noveske
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:38:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Longlegs:
https://www.brownells.com/gun-parts/rifle-parts/rifle-bolts-bolt-carrier-groups/ar-15-brownells-9mm-bolt-carrier-group/

Whatever you decide to get, make sure you get one with the external extractor.  Internal extractors cause issues.
View Quote

With all due respect, I disagree.  I've had two of the "old style extractor" 9mm BCGs for over a decade without issue.  In any case, 9mm BCGs with standard AR pattern (external/large) extractors appear to be the only pattern now manufactured, even though the weight of the BCG is less than the old style.  So when I was in search of another 9mm BCG late last year, much to my disappointment and chagrin, I ended up with the new style.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:48:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By IdahoPCCinc:

1st....you've been here 23 years.....you have to know the search feature on the forum is useless.

Pretty much.  Gotta try at least...

Yes, that's critical.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Colt-style-9mm-bolt-options-/15-784462/?page=1&anc=bottom#bottom

Not a lot of actual info in that thread (which I found with the search function)

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By IdahoPCCinc:
Originally Posted By Spooky130:

Spooky

Pretty much.  Gotta try at least...

Yes, that's critical.

Not a lot of actual info in that thread (which I found with the search function)

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 1:28:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Droppoint:
I've done quite a bit of research into various 9mm bolts.  I currently have B.Kings, Brownells, Kaw Valley, Foxtrot Mike, Alpha Shooting Sports, Mercury Precision, and a Taccom short stroke.  My current go-to is now the B. Kings Firearms bolt.  It's the generic version of many big name branded bolts and it's almost always the best price.  I have three and none of them have ever given me a problem despite being in a mix of upper/lower configurations that I swap back and forth for testing and experimentation.

It appears all the following bolts are made by the same OEM supplier, Outerwild Manufacturing, just branded differently. They all have essentially identical profile/design and this design seems to be the most compatible with a wide variety of builds due to the underside contours and feature set.  They use an external 5.56 extractor, are both Colt and Glock compatible, and work with Law Tactical folders.

B. King’s Firearms
Kaw Valley Precision
Outerwild Outpost (OEM)
Faxon
Angstadt Arms
Brownell’s Hybrid Colt/Glock bolt (NOT “Glock-only”!)
Shooting Innovations
FailZero
Iron City Rifle Works
PAMAX Tactical
AT3 Tactical
A1 Armory
Big Texas Ordinance/White Label
Element Armament/White Label
JSE Surplus/White Label
Big Daddy Unlimited
Guntec
3CR Tactical
Bad Attitude Dept.
Mid State Firearms
Noveske
View Quote

Great info, which also reinforces my earlier sentiment.  There isn't much to them.

But, we all know what happens when certain shops add a rollmark
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#9]
TACCOM - Make a great bolt - Colt compatible. Like their gas key setup.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:51:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By texaspaulhouston:
TACCOM - Make a great bolt - Colt compatible. Like their gas key setup.
View Quote

gonna have to disagree with you there. bought a taccom bolt advertised at 14.9oz. true weight 13.6oz. customer service non-existent, sent 2 emails and no response. purchase a bolt elsewhere.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 7:06:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I gotta disagree with you on taccom
I had an issue with my short stroke bolt and sent a email, maybe 30 minutes later I get a phone call from the owner who talked me thru and offered to swap it out with with a standard if I couldn’t get it to run

I also like the “gas key” because it allows to remove the bolt without retracting the CH
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:39:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Stern because I am also running their Glock mag adapter
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top