Posted: 10/12/2023 3:33:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MegaTarsal]
Disregard; poor advice on my part!
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 3:46:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Lead acetate is no joke.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 4:04:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#2]
Acetic acid (vinegar) + Hydrogen Peroxide = peracetic acid (PAA)

Will dissolve or pit lead, copper, aluminum and uncoated carbon steels among other things. When it does, it forms metal-acetates… chiefly among concern is lead-acetate and cupric-acetate.

Leaded organic compound greatly increases lead’s bioavailability and even to the extent that it will be absorbed through skin.  Cupric acetate is nasty too.  Wear gloves and goggles.  Once used to dissolve stuff like lead and copper it’s nasty hazmat… don’t dump this down the toilet or in the garden (dispose of properly).

Who cares about getting a FH mount “perfectly” clean anyways?  It’s going to look fouled again after one mag.  Scrape the caked shit and loose fouling off and carry on.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 4:10:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Do not expose high-strength steel parts to hydrogen peroxide or acids.  The hydrogen that these substances supply can embrittle high-strength steel parts.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 4:14:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gtsteve03] [#4]
I think I'd rather just stick with Flitz and a cloth. It takes the carbon fouling off a revolver cylinder no problem.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 4:20:17 PM EDT
[#5]
C4 carbon remover FTW
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 4:23:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#6]
Another excellent peroxide based compound to dissolve carbon and carbon containing compounds in literally seconds is:

3 Parts Conc. Sulfuric Acid (95-97%)
1 Part Conc. Hydrogen Peroxide (30%)

Slowly mix the peroxide INTO the acid
The more you cool it; the faster you can mix
Use PPE and a fume hood (or outdoors)
Use pyrex/glass container, not plastic

It makes vinegar+peroxide look like the little leagues.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 4:27:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 4:31:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HeavyMetal:
I’ve used sulfuric acid to strip galvanized coatings off of screws.

It literally takes a fraction of a second to strip.  

You really don’t want to be using anything this aggressive on gun parts.
View Quote

Interesting; lesson learned!  Clearly i'm not a gun cleaning guy.  Guess i'll delete my post!
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Has anyone tried spray on oven cleaner?  Does oven cleaner have compounds that will destroy the muzzle brakes?
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 6:13:38 PM EDT
[#10]
OP Request
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top