Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/8/2024 5:02:25 PM EDT
I opened an old box of gun stuff and found a decent stack of CProducts Duramag stainless mags still in wrap. I dont remember buying them.  Not sure of the era although they have a 'SS' marked orange follower so after the move from Magpul followers, and also the bottom metal is marked Newington CT. Looked up some Duramag reviews here and plenty of hate for them with a few that swear by them and say its era dependent.

Anyway- is it worth buying upgraded Brownells stainless springs and Magpul Gen III followers or is that putting lipstick on a pig? My range time and ammo is more limited than it used to be so it it would be an improvement and keep them from choking Im all for it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 8:36:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Not IMO, no it's not.  I'd try them first and if there was a problem, then maybe, but I sure as heck would not do anything to them without trying them as they are first.  I have a lot of the original CProducts mags, which as I understand it, later became ASC and CProducts Defense, which then became Duramag, as well as the current ASC and Duramags from several different times and calibers and I have never replaced anything in any of them.  The only mags of any of those mentioned that gave me trouble were the original CP 10 round 7.62 x 39 AR mags.  They just do not want to play nice while the relatively current 20R and 30R 7.62 x 39 Duramags work flawlessly.

Short version, try first, then make changes if needed.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 12:50:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I have several CProducts ss and Duramag ss and they all work just fine in all my lowers.  

Avoid ASC brand.  I got one to try because it was $9 and the followers in those are not good.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 10:59:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Personally, I would sell the mags, take that money and add it to what you would spend on springs/followers, and buy some other mags.  Okay, nhmtg, etc.  Rock river arms still has some in stock.   EE is another place to look.

I have 2 stainless 10 round c products mags left.  I think about buying replacement springs/followers every now and then, and always decide just to buy different mags all together.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 12:55:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stowe] [#4]
Don't "fix" something because of a perceived problem. Run them and see how they do.
Edit: Start with one. Don't open them all. If #1 sucks I'd just unload the lot. I'm sure they're worth more in original packaging.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 1:23:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I truly enjoy pulling that box out of the closet and finding mags.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 2:09:38 AM EDT
[#6]
A couple of fully loaded 20 round magpul gen 3's started to spread at the feed lips after a year loaded into
their rifles. From then on I started loading 18 rounds. The smaller and harder to load Duramags get the same
treatment. New mags purchased are usually D&H.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 2:10:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PursuitSS] [#7]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:33:41 PM EDT
[#8]
They're probably fine but IMHO with plenty of good mags available for $10-$15 I think you'd have close to that spent on replacement followers & springs.

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:46:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tgmr05:

I have 2 stainless 10 round c products mags left.  I think about buying replacement springs/followers every now and then, and always decide just to buy different mags all together.
View Quote

I have 5 ( mine are 30 rd). After replacing the shitty springs/followers they've been 100% since.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 8:32:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

I have 5 ( mine are 30 rd). After replacing the shitty springs/followers they've been 100% since.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

@TGWLDR

What era were yours made in?
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 8:44:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By peacematu:

@TGWLDR

View All Quotes

@TGWLDR

I'd have to dig them out and see if there's any dates on them (doubtful). IIRC, I bought them around 2013.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 11:46:18 AM EDT
[#12]

I'd have to dig them out and see if there's any dates on them (doubtful). IIRC, I bought them around 2013.
View All Quotes

@TGWLDR

@TGWLDR

The latest ones may use different springs and followers.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 12:03:32 PM EDT
[#13]

@TGWLDR

View All Quotes

@TGWLDR

@TGWLDR

I wouldn't pay money for one again in my lifetime.
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 3:48:40 PM EDT
[#14]

View All Quotes

@TGWLDR

@TGWLDR

Why if they are good?
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 3:52:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#15]

Why if they are good?
View All Quotes

@TGWLDR

@TGWLDR

Why if they are good?

Not worth my time or the risk. Life's too short to dick with magazines, they're expendable.

I have all the mags that I will ever need.

IF I found myself back in a position where I did need mags again, it'd be D&H or Pmag M3s.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 10:51:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Not worth my time or the risk. Life's too short to dick with magazines, they're expendable.

IF I found myself back in a position where I did need mags again, it'd be D&H or Pmag M3s.
View All Quotes

@TGWLDR

@TGWLDR

Why if they are good?

@TGWLDR

C-Products/Duramag makes straight 20 round mags. I believe both D&H and Pmag are curved.

I don't know how much Okay/Surefeeds are in excellent condition on the used market.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 3:41:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: crang11] [#17]

View Quote

I'm thinking mine are the same era. Definitely between 2012 and 2015 somewhere. With my Brownells discounts would be $3.24 per mag to get a good SS spring and Magpul Gen 3 follower in each one. If it fixed yours up it may be worth it, especially with the cost of ammo being $13 a full mag to test them and certainly wont trust them given their rep until Ive run each mag through a few times at the minimum.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 2:53:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By crang11:

I'm thinking mine are the same era. Definitely between 2012 and 2015 somewhere. With my Brownells discounts would be $3.24 per mag to get a good SS spring and Magpul Gen 3 follower in each one. If it fixed yours up it may be worth it, especially with the cost of ammo being $13 a full mag to test them and certainly wont trust them given their rep until Ive run each mag through a few times at the minimum.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By crang11:

IIRC, my cost was about the same. Milspec SS USGI springs and Magpul Enhanced followers.

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top