User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2024 1:00:51 AM EDT
Which one would you pick.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 6:45:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Need more info. I have a glx 2x and I love it. but they have different missions and purposes.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 5:50:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Vortex I cannot stand the chevron reticle.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:48:27 AM EDT
[#3]
What are you planning to do with the optic?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:10:50 PM EDT
[#4]
LPVO vs 2X Prism?

This isn’t even like comparing apples & oranges… it’s like boomerangs & anvils.

What’s your intended use?
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 4:17:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shadow123] [#5]
Recently got a 13.7 first AR. I want it to be a general / do mostly all. I have mostly indoor 25 yard ranges. I have some long range shooting ranges near me about less than a hour and a half. I am willing to drive for training.
It will be a bedside princess for home defense, but I will most likely use a pistol before I get the rifle. But whichever is closest to me is what I will grab.

I am a firm believer on, “better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.”

I like both optics. I am just not sure which one to get first. Eventually I will have both optics.

Plan on getting a few more rifles.

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:33:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Shadow123:
Recently got a 13.7 first AR. I want it to be a general / do mostly all. I have mostly indoor 25 yard ranges. I have some long range shooting ranges near me about less than a hour and a half. I am willing to drive for training.
It will be a bedside princess for home defense, but I will most likely use a pistol before I get the rifle. But whichever is closest to me is what I will grab.

I am a firm believer on, “better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.”

I like both optics. I am just not sure which one to get first. Eventually I will have both optics.

View Quote

Neither optic sound like a good option for you.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:34:34 PM EDT
[#7]
For your current needs, red dot and magnifier. For your second rifle, LPVO (IMO).
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:24:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Strikefirst] [#8]
I have a 12.5 and 13.9 both wear a viper pst gen 2 1-6.
I have an astigmatism and debated the same thing you are.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:44:17 AM EDT
[#9]
The Glx 2x acts like a reddot magnifier combo. Has just enough mag for distance work and not too much to where you can't use it close up. Get rid of the mount and grab an American Defense or Midwest Industries mini Acog mount and rock on with the short barrel. Much lighter than an LPVO and daylight bright. Save the LPVO for a longer barrel.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 3:18:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Claytonhoneyberry:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Claytonhoneyberry:

Agreed.  My dedicated HD carbines have red dots.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:28:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marex] [#11]
The GLX 2X works quite well as an occluded sight with the illumination on and an objective cap like the Butler Creek.

I haven't put one through the ringer to test durability but I can say that after owning a lot of optics, the 2X is it's own beast and seems to fit the bill as a very good general purpose optic.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:06:34 AM EDT
[#12]
for strictly defensive use i'd just use my CC gun, but if i were to get a dedicated rifle, i'd put a red dot on it. something like larry vicker's carbine, but shorter.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#13]
I have this scenario in my head that if the world where to end. I should have a lpvo and a piggyback reddot, because I won't know what I will be dealing against. So I must be prepared. Am I overthinking this and should come back to reality.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:13:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#14]
I have this scenario in my head that if the world where to end. I should have a lpvo and a piggyback reddot, because I won't know what I will be dealing against. So I must be prepared. Am I overthinking this and should come back to reality.
View Quote

If you’re going to use the red dot for 1X, why place priority on the LPVO? If you’re only using it for magnification I’d actually say that’s where they do worst at. From low light gathering to super tight eye boxes, why not a prism or MPVO at that point.

I was an early adopter of LPVO’s and sang their praises. I still have one on my 308 AR. I just don’t like red dot magnifiers much at all. On a 5.56 general purpose rifle I want light, simple, fast, and durable within the realistic range of the cartridge. After 20 years and close to a hundred different configurations, I narrowed mine down to this. (3X ACOG with piggy back RMR.)

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:15:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JustDaniel] [#15]

View Quote

13.7 w/ GLX 2x. This has become my go to rig
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:19:41 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

for a 13.7? it can't shoot far enough to get much value out of something more powerful than a prism. that said, a magnified thermal is the true bleeding edge of optics. an offset dot for close range would round it out well. but you'd be better served by an AR10 at that point.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:14:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Strikefirst] [#17]
Originally Posted By Shackleford_R:

for a 13.7? it can't shoot far enough to get much value out of something more powerful than a prism. that said, a magnified thermal is the true bleeding edge of optics. an offset dot for close range would round it out well. but you'd be better served by an AR10 at that point.
View Quote

I disagree.

My 13.9 velocities rival 14.5.

400 to 500 yds 1-6 should rock.

Plus the benefit of target ID.

My vipers at 1x handle cqb easily.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:32:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:08:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By PrimaryArms:
We're happy to see continued excitement for the GLx 2X! If anyone has any questions feel free to ask and we'll do our best to answer them.
View Quote

Are you going to offer any different reticles in the future?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:17:54 AM EDT
[#20]
We're happy to see continued excitement for the GLx 2X! If anyone has any questions feel free to ask and we'll do our best to answer them.
View Quote

Also any refresh new gen offerings on horizon for the GLx 2x?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 4:55:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shackleford_R] [#21]
Originally Posted By Strikefirst:

I disagree.

My 13.9 velocities rival 14.5.

400 to 500 yds 1-6 should rock.

Plus the benefit of target ID.

My vipers at 1x handle cbq easily.
View Quote

5x and 6x prisms exist. your 1-6 is not more powerful than a prism.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 1:05:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Shackleford_R:

5x and 6x prisms exist. your 1-6 is not more powerful than a prism.
View Quote

Never said it was.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 3:01:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Shackleford_R] [#23]
Originally Posted By Strikefirst:

Never said it was.
View Quote

remember when i said "it can't shoot far enough to get much value out of something more powerful than a prism."?
in response, you presented a 1-6 LPVO as an example of something which would counter the notion that an optic more powerful than a prism is not worthwhile.
in other words, any optic contrary to my statement would necessarily have to be more powerful than a prism.

so did you just not understand my original comment, or did you change your mind?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:29:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: taboopineapple] [#24]
Pst is way more flexible and does everything the glx does but better . But it’s a pig
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:48:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By taboopineapple:
Pst is way more flexible and does everything the glx does but better . But it’s a pig
View Quote

She's sturdy alright.  Better trimmer options out there these days.  If it was $350-400 that'd be a different story.
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:50:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Shadow123] [#26]
View Quote

@primaryarms

Will there be a glx 4x in the future?
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:26:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:33:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top