Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Cowbell:
Toob in the EE for anyone looking
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:46:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By ThatGuy01:
Good lord, prices on those got stupid. Well, good for whoever buys it.
View Quote

LOL

KAC says hold my beer and watch this

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1030166156
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 12:27:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

View Quote
I should buy that just so it never has to die and FSP death of dishonor.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 12:43:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By HaveBlue83:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Lol
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 1:49:12 PM EDT
[#5]
View All Quotes

Link Posted: 1/14/2024 7:49:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 11:56:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Eww, it's a barrel bending surefire rail :(
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 5:34:14 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote
Huh?
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:31:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HaveBlue83] [#9]
Originally Posted By JBecker_72:
Huh?
View All Quotes
Huh?
The grub screws at the front put tension on the rail, AND in turn push against the front barrel band. Tighten them too much or unevenly, the barrel will fail barrel straightness gaging. I replaced 2 barrels before I figured out it was those shit ass surefire rails (that they bought with FOU money, not ISSUED KAC rails that get an MOW and update, with me properly installing them and signing off) and I ripped them all off and checked em and they all suddenly passed the gage perfectly.  i said don't put those shit fucking rails on your weapons or I'll deadline em again! It was sniper section 3/89 Cav and they were PISSED at me. Sorry kids, don't put shit on there that makes me fail your weapons for annual gaging.I

Pull that shit off your weapon tho. They are junk......Sorry but shit like that is a NO GO for me and I can't act like "oh it's cool retro GWOT shit. Nope. It's just shit.

/SPC Evans eye-twitch rant
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 11:38:52 PM EDT
[#10]
The grub screws at the front put tension on the front barrel band. Tighten them too much or unevenly, the barrel will fail barrel straightness gaging. I replaced 2 barrels before I figured out it was those shit ass surefire rails (that they bought with FOU money, not ISSUED rails) and I ripped them all off and checked em and they all suddenly passed the gage perfectly.  i said don't put those shit fucking rails on your weapons or I'll deadline em again! It was sniper section 3/89 Cav and they were PISSED at me. Sorry kids, don't put shit on there that makes me fail your weapons for annual gaging.I
/Rant

Pull that shit off your weapon tho. They are junk......Sorry but shit like that is a NO GO for me and I can't act like "oh it's cool retro GWOT shit. Nope. It's just shit.
View Quote
Interesting. I zeroed the rifle with plastic handguards and plan to take it out tomorrow to see how it shoots. I assume if there is a POI shift I'll have an answer. I could see how over torquing the screws could cause an issue, but they really don't take much to tension the rail and hold it solid.

Will report back with my findings.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:04:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Interesting. I’ve never heard much about the SF handguards, positive or negative.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 7:52:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Interesting. I’ve never heard much about the SF rails
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:31:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HaveBlue83] [#13]
Interesting. I've never heard much about the SF handguards, positive or negative.
View Quote
Luckily they came and went pretty fast. This was back in 06-07.

Unless you run a calibrated gage down the barrel, you won't be able to tell. But there's a good chance the barrel will be bent. I wasn't gonna let them deploy with that junk.

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:54:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Unless you run a calibrated gage down the barrel, you won't be able to tell. But there's a good chance the barrel will be bent. I wasn't gonna let them deploy with that junk.

View All Quotes
Interesting. I've never heard much about the SF handguards, positive or negative.

I'm actually glad that you brought it to light. I won't plan on using one again.

And never would have considered them to be problematic.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:24:24 AM EDT
[#15]
So I just took it out and put 100 rounds through it with the Surefire rail. I had previously zeroed the rifle with the plastic handguards and I had no zero shift. So I'm gonna let this sucker ride.

I have it tensioned to where there is the slightest tick of play in the rail, kind of like the plastic handguards have. And then have thread locker on the grub screws. There's no way the handguard can come off and it doesn't appear to be affecting the barrel harmonics in an appreciable way. I'm not planning on ever putting a laser on this rifle, it's just holding a 6P flashlight, so it doesn't need to hold a zero for anything.

I can see how you could be deforming the barrel if you had it really torqued down on there to hold zero on a laser aiming module. Which is what I'm assuming the guys were doing in that situation.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 12:15:46 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

What rifles were they on? Just your basic bitch M4A1?
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 1:00:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HaveBlue83] [#17]

What rifles were they on? Just your basic bitch M4A1?
View Quote
W120xxx to W200xxx range M4 's, pre MWO for BUIS and KAC rail. Early ones from 2001s era. So they had HGs and the unit needed to mount peq-2A, peq-4bc, lasers, then peq-15s and lights. So they couldn't move, so they cranked em down.nwe didn't have m4a1 really. We had go and socom barrel variants. This was all before the block 2 and stuff. Most acogs were the TA01 NSN style. Then we got TA31s and then got 02 priority for mwo rails n shit.

Most of 3/89 cav was early issued m4 flat tops. The BSTB had colt gray carry handle M4s, first 50 issued. I saw W000004/9/14 range there.

Snipers could paint their shit. But this was what we had. I have better pics at home.

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 1:03:39 PM EDT
[#18]
W120xxx to W200xxx range M4 's, pre MWO for BUIS and KAC rail. Early ones from 2001s era. So they had HGs and the unit needed to mount peq-2A, peq-4bc, lasers, then peq-15s and lights. So they couldn't move, so they cranked em down.nwe didn't have m4a1 really. We had go and socom barrel variants. This was all before the block 2 and stuff.

Most of 3/89 cav was early issued m4 flat tops. The bars had colt gray carry handle M4s, first 50 issued. I saw W000004/9/14 range there.
View Quote
I appreciate the info for sure. I probably would have cranked them down and wondered why my zero changed, lol.

BTW, it had been a while since I had an 11* F range session. Brrrr
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 1:06:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I appreciate the info for sure. I probably would have cranked them down and wondered why my zero changed, lol.

BTW, it had been a while since I had an 11* F range session. Brrrr
View Quote
Sorry I went off. I am just um....very effing particular about weapons and stuff that is not the best for them. So nothing personal!
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 2:25:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Sorry I went off. I am just um....very effing particular about weapons and stuff that is not the best for them. So nothing personal!
View Quote
Oh, I didn't take it personally. I'm not even in that rail for much money anyway so if it turns out to be a flop no biggie.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 6:56:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Oh, I didn't take it personally. I'm not even in that rail for much money anyway so if it turns out to be a flop no biggie.
View All Quotes

What micro mount is that?

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 7:20:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By dogrobber13:

What micro mount is that?

View Quote

https://amrudesigns.com/products/carry-handle-micro-mount

Pretty neat design that allows you to mount it in three different spots. I have it all the way forward. It fit nice and snug on that H&R upper.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 7:57:27 PM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes

Is “handguard” incorrect terminology?
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 8:35:38 PM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

No, railed handguard.

I fucked up on my quote during copy & paste, adlib.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 11:38:20 PM EDT
[#25]

No, railed handguard.

View All Quotes

No, railed handguard.

Fair enough.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 1:35:23 AM EDT
[#26]
If I remember correctly Surefire was telling people the handguards were “semi free floating” and that the purpose of the screws was to make the barrel less susceptible to flex when tension was applied to the handguard, like a sling or a bipod.

But I don’t have much personal experience other than seeing them around and asking.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 1:53:26 AM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 1/21/2024 10:28:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 10:58:20 AM EDT
[#29]

@Cowbell

Love this thing. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a RISii on an A2 carbine before. I know Noveske was doing something similar recently with a MLOK rail, but RISII drip is undeniable.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 7:36:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Spatten:

@Cowbell

Love this thing. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a RISii on an A2 carbine before. I know Noveske was doing something similar recently with a MLOK rail, but RISII drip is undeniable.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Spatten:

@Cowbell

Yeah that's a helluva a nice setup he's got going on there...................I love it
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 8:26:12 PM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:28:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Anybody know if one of those old slick Armalite FF tubes will mount up to a 416 upper?...
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:42:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By RTUtah:
Anybody know if one of those old slick Armalite FF tubes will mount up to a 416 upper?...
View Quote

Can’t be done. If a regular AR handguard of any type could be, it would’ve happened already.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 1:09:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Claytonhoneyberry:

Can't be done. If a regular AR handguard of any type could be, it would've happened already.
View Quote

I suppose I asked a fool question. Y'all carry on, lol.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:32:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Outrider] [#35]
You could do it with a Maxim Defense upper.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:16:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Outrider:

You could do it with a Maxim Defense upper.
View Quote

Looking now at piecing something together with a quality barrel and as many HK parts as I can find but holy hell! A complete upper receiver alone is $1K if you can even find one. No idea if the slim-style gas block will even fit under that old Armalite toob, either. I'd also need to modify that thing with rail sections which will likely require some machining and fabricating...

Juice might not be worth the squeeze just to have a wonky frankenbuild with some HK parts. I dunno.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:39:02 AM EDT
[#37]

Looking now at piecing something together with a quality barrel and as many HK parts as I can find but holy hell! A complete upper receiver alone is $1K if you can even find one. No idea if the slim-style gas block will even fit under that old Armalite toob, either. I'd also need to modify that thing with rail sections which will likely require some machining and fabricating...

Juice might not be worth the squeeze just to have a wonky frankenbuild with some HK parts. I dunno.
View Quote

416 uppers have extended threads so you will be limited to 416 parts which rules out the Armalite tube anyway. I think Brownells may have some clone parts a little less expensive. As cool as the 416 is (even as an HK fan) I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze given cost and weight.

The Maxim upper is awesome for achieving the 416 look without being stuck to 416 parts. You can run DI parts under the hood with 416 rails or standard AR rails (though a pic rail won't line up).

My faux16 with Mod 2 guts for reference.

Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:02:59 AM EDT
[#38]

View Quote
As a machinist, I always disagree with the "can't" s
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:23:23 AM EDT
[#39]

416 uppers have extended threads so you will be limited to 416 parts which rules out the Armalite tube anyway. I think Brownells may have some clone parts a little less expensive. As cool as the 416 is (even as an HK fan) I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze given cost and weight.

The Maxim upper is awesome for achieving the 416 look without being stuck to 416 parts. You can run DI parts under the hood with 416 rails or standard AR rails (though a pic rail won't line up).

https://i.imgur.com/bfOwjCb.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/KclsweB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JJANFvo.jpg
View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/bfOwjCb.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/KclsweB.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/JJANFvo.jpg

Extended threads would push the tube and locking ring forward more, correct? But the thread-pitch is the same, right? Now will that ch0nky block snuggle up inside that tube?

Cool. So you're in to help. I thought so.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:40:51 AM EDT
[#40]

Extended threads would push the tube and locking ring forward more, correct? But the thread-pitch is the same, right? Now will that ch0nky block snuggle up inside that tube?

Cool. So you're in to help. I thought so.
View Quote

Not the same threads to my knowledge. HaveBlue will probably be able to make something work though.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:58:03 AM EDT
[#41]

Not the same threads to my knowledge. HaveBlue will probably be able to make something work though.
View Quote

Dammit. The vibe I'm leaning in to is an old Delta recce head sometime in the mid-'00s and they all get 416s. He wants to throw his on a diet so he has the armorer retrofit his 14.5 with one of those old Armalite tubes. So we're talking minimal modification based on what they would've done at that time to get it to work.

Again, it feels like the juice probably wouldn't be worth the squeeze tho.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:16:48 AM EDT
[#42]
You could just do what was really done, which is take a mill to the rail and shave off all the rail segments you're not using. It ends up looking like a 416/URX3 hybrid.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:32:32 AM EDT
[#43]

Dammit. The vibe I'm leaning in to is an old Delta recce head sometime in the mid-'00s and they all get 416s. He wants to throw his on a diet so he has the armorer retrofit his 14.5 with one of those old Armalite tubes. So we're talking minimal modification based on what they would've done at that time to get it to work.

View All Quotes

I wouldn’t be surprised if the toob is heavier than the 416 quad rail.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:36:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Subpar:

I wouldn’t be surprised if the toob is heavier than the 416 quad rail.
View Quote

I'm with you. Toob + 416 guts + can on the end = boat anchor.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:37:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Subpar:

I wouldn't be surprised if the toob is heavier than the 416 quad rail.
View Quote

What, for cereal?! It's fiberglass.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 12:02:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Subpar] [#46]

What, for cereal?! It's fiberglass.
View Quote

This is the rifle-length weight as it sits after grinding off the heavy front spine to clear a can:

If the threads match up you'd probably have a 1/2 gap from the receiver face to the locking collar.

Haveblue could get it to work.  It would be heavy though.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 1:22:22 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

Sounds like a lot of work to stay under budget.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 2:56:42 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Claytonhoneyberry:

Can't be done. If a regular AR handguard of any type could be, it would've happened already.

It’s not a fool question, it’s really just HK being HK. Looks like there’s an option with Maxim though.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:43:21 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

Have you modified one of these to fit a slightly thicker barrel under the handguard? Mine comes in at .662” ish under the handguard and this Peq 2 mount needs a little taken off to fit.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:51:24 PM EDT
[#50]

Have you modified one of these to fit a slightly thicker barrel under the handguard? Mine comes in at .662” ish under the handguard and this Peq 2 mount needs a little taken off to fit.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/259822/IMG_0903_jpeg-3105325.JPG
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/259822/IMG_0903_jpeg-3105325.JPG

Got a Dremel?
Page / 181
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top