Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2024 5:39:09 AM EDT
I really need to start taking notes. Can someone remind me which way the grins should be oriented? Sharp edge forward or rearward?
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:07:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Sharp edges towards the bolt tail
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 11:53:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Just saw a question I think was about the gas rings having a sharp edge and facing towards the rear.  I never knew there was a correct way to have them.  Is this correct?
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 12:02:27 PM EDT
[#3]
It doesn't matter so long as they fit correctly.  The AR is overgassed anyway...whatever minimal difference this makes is irrelevant.  

Link Posted: 4/10/2024 1:10:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FedDC:
It doesn't matter so long as they fit correctly.  The AR is overgassed anyway...whatever minimal difference this makes is irrelevant.  

View Quote

Is that just your opinion or based on sound scientific evidence?
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 1:38:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: casktcrw] [#5]
Best brand?

I'm putting together an order on specialized armament a couple of cam pins, five packs of gas rings, buffer tube, 9mm sight post. If there's something on there I absolutely need tell me pls.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 1:49:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Might as well order extra firing pins, firing pin retainer, extractors, and o-rings.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 1:54:46 PM EDT
[#7]
The technical manual (TM) doesn't reference the bolt rings having a "sharp" side or need to orient them one way or the other. I suspect any edge would be worn off after a few rounds anyways.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 2:13:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By OTDR:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

First hand experience...you can run it on 1 ring, installed either way.  Its crazy overgassed for what it does as the design assumes mass production with very little hand fitting.  In the original TMs for the M-16A1, the armorer was literally told to fire 3 blank cartridges anytime they removed the FSB or gas tube from the FSB in order to "seal up" the gas system with carbon.  You see carbon leakage throughout the gas system...around the FSB, around the gas tube, gas key, bolt rings...it happens and is factored into the design.  

That said, you should always run 3 rings that fit tight enough to hold the bolt carrier vertically without the cam pin installed.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 3:26:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By SSeric02:
The technical manual (TM) doesn't reference the bolt rings having a "sharp" side or need to orient them one way or the other. I suspect any edge would be worn off after a few rounds anyways.
View Quote

The edge is perpendicular to the bore.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 3:27:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Nobody69s:
Might as well order extra firing pins, firing pin retainer, extractors, and o-rings.
View Quote

I would never pay that much much money for extractors. I already have retainers, but I don't have spare pins. I just have one one along with a complete fn bolt and cam pin in my end of the world cleaning kit
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 5:21:58 PM EDT
[#11]

First hand experience...you can run it on 1 ring, installed either way.  Its crazy overgassed for what it does as the design assumes mass production with very little hand fitting.  In the original TMs for the M-16A1, the armorer was literally told to fire 3 blank cartridges anytime they removed the FSB or gas tube from the FSB in order to "seal up" the gas system with carbon.  You see carbon leakage throughout the gas system...around the FSB, around the gas tube, gas key, bolt rings...it happens and is factored into the design.  

That said, you should always run 3 rings that fit tight enough to hold the bolt carrier vertically without the cam pin installed.
View Quote

I respectfully disagree that its not an advantage to have all the sharp edges to the rear. Couple of good reasons for it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SSeric02:
View Quote

Thats true and every Japanese motorcycle I ever worked on the official service manuals didn't mention to have all the metal plates sharp edges oriented in a stack. That was one of the greatest engine building secrets unknown for a long time.

Just because its not in there.......
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:00:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lysanderxiii] [#13]

View Quote

The fact that if you take one completely out things work just fine should tell you something.

Having to have the rings sharp side back is just as big a myth as you have to have the gaps staggered.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:07:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OTDR] [#14]
Never said it had anything to do with not working, Yes you have one working and scrapping, not 3.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 1:13:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By lysanderxiii:

The fact that if you take one completely out things work just fine should tell you something.

Having to have the rings sharp side back is just as big a myth as you have to have the gaps staggered.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thanks,  I was always under the presumption of flat side back.   But,  yea the gas rings I’ve found flipped and then I “corrected”…. all shot fine to begin with.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 6:07:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Never said it had anything to do with not working, Yes you have one working and scrapping, not 3.
View Quote

How do you install yours?
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 7:22:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By casktcrw:

How do you install yours?
View Quote

Sent you a PM.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:21:46 AM EDT
[#18]
The things people obsess about.
Be sure to stagger the rings as well
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:35:51 AM EDT
[#19]
I believe SOTAR says they are not directional.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:43:04 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

This.

OCD triggers aside.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:14:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Blacktoothgrin:
I believe SOTAR says they are not directional.
View Quote

They are not, but the stamping leaves one rounded edge, and one sharp one - like a washer
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 2:50:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By casktcrw:

They are not, but the stamping leaves one rounded edge, and one sharp one - like a washer
View Quote

And, if you buy them from someone who makes them correctly, that rounded edge will be only 0.005" maximum.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:01:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I was a small arms repairman in the mil for more than half of my 20 and I have never heard anything about a gas ring being installed a certain direction. Just make sure you have 3 and they support the weight of the BCG when resting the carrier vertically on an extended bolt. And lubricate the rings, especially when they are new.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:15:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dalle0001] [#24]
It doesn't hurt to change the gas rings every so often as a preventative measure. It sounds to me like the orientation of the gas rings is to do with the fear that it'll wear out quicker one way or the other. If that is the fear, it's better to not worry about prolonging the piece but rather changing it out quick enough so that it doesn't reach breaking point.

In my experience with worn gas rings or broken gas rings is that the rifle will still function pretty well. For broken gas rings, the easiest way to tell is if the bcg just slides out of the upper when you tilt it with the bolt fully closed. The easiest way to tell of a worn gas ring, without testing the
upside down thing, is that your case will suddenly eject differently from what it was doing before. In my case, it would just drop out on the ground or fly forward of the rifle instead of to the back. The rifle will still shoot fine but you just replace at your next cleaning interval.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:03:50 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

That. Doesn’t matter even a tiny bit.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top