Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2024 4:13:31 PM EDT
I’m looking to get some GM barrels for a couple builds and have never used them before. Does anybody know if they are dimpled for a gas block?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#1]
No reason it can’t be drilled for dimples. If you get a nitrided one, they can be quite difficult to drill regardless of the maker.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:09:46 PM EDT
[#2]
They aren’t nitrided. Only reason I’m asking is cause I don’t have .625 jig. Yeah I know you don’t technically need a jig but I’d like to get one if I have to dimple.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:29:51 PM EDT
[#3]
GM used to make good shit, but I haven't ordered from them in a decade.  None I've ordered were ever dimpled.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By olekennyroy:
GM used to make good shit, but I haven't ordered from them in a decade.  None I've ordered were ever dimpled.
View Quote

Do you think their stuff is sub-par now?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:49:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I built on a 20" GM, .625 journal.  It wasn't dimpled.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:54:37 PM EDT
[#6]
GM makes good barrels. You won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:27:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WrenchGuy] [#7]
The very first AR I ever built had a GM barrel, and I still kick myself for selling it as it was great.

Very few barrels I have tried over the years can match what I got with that, and I have used them in builds for a few friends since.

This barrel in particular has been very good in my experience.

None of them that I used had dimples from the factory, though they may add them to some SKUs.  If it does not list dimples in the description then its highly unlikely it will have them.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:34:24 PM EDT
[#8]
They made fine Uzi barrels
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:20:18 PM EDT
[#9]
FYI, don’t order until Monday.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:11:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Inside info?!?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:06:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I know somebody that knows somebody.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 10:30:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By BM-ARM-DPMS-guns:
I know somebody that knows somebody.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:04:52 PM EDT
[#13]
We got to tour their facility a few years back and they had stopped doing nitrided barrels due to qc issues with the 3rd party nitriding process. Not sure whether that’s still the case
Interesting visit - making from 2” pistol barrels up to .50 cal M2 barrels along with a lot of AR-15 barrels
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:36:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:39:32 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a few. They're all solid.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:25:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By CJFirefly:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CJFirefly:
Originally Posted By olekennyroy:

I don't think one way or the other.  I'm happy with what I've bought from them, but that doesn't mean their quality is the same as it was.  

That's not to say they don't still make a great barrel; I'd order without hesitation based on my past experience.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:43:49 PM EDT
[#17]
They’ve been doing it a long time and are one of very few places still making non CHF chrome lined barrels. I can’t recall ever hearing a horror story.

I just bought one of their $120 14.7” pencil barrels. It wasn’t dimpled but fit and finish is excellent so hopefully that’s a pattern. Unfortunately I won’t be able to get out for a couple weeks to see how it shoots.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 1:46:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#18]
My son had a $45 Green Mountain blank spun into a mid-contour barrel for military 3-Gun competition.

The smith finished it up, took it for a test-fire, and asked him, "Where did you get the blank and do they have any more?"

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

10 rounds, 200 yards with 77s:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 7:51:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I have quite a few GM barrels from .22 LR to .475, and every one has been a winner.  All were bought as blanks and finished either by Paladin, TROMIX, or ARP, back when TROMIX and ARP did work on customer supplied blanks.  Only Paladin still does custom work on supplied blanks.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:04:27 PM EDT
[#20]
What’s it usually run to have a blank finished out?
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 10:19:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Depends on who you send it to.  I use Paladin Machine Shop in Kershaw S.C., tp555(at)vfemail.net.  Email him, tell him what you want EXACTLY, buy the blank and barrel extension and he’ll make you anything you want to your exact specs.  And you’ll have it within 2 weeks.  But you are responsible for telling him exactly what you want, right down to gas port size.  He can offer you guidance but it is on you to tell him what you want exactly, and that will be what you get.
Cost?  You won’t find anyone cheaper or better at any price.  He does all my work from turning blanks into barrels to making me custom brakes and doing all kinds of smalls.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 11:14:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Big-Bore:
Depends on who you send it to.  I use Paladin Machine Shop in Kershaw S.C., tp555(at)vfemail.net.  Email him, tell him what you want EXACTLY, buy the blank and barrel extension and he’ll make you anything you want to your exact specs.  And you’ll have it within 2 weeks.  But you are responsible for telling him exactly what you want, right down to gas port size.  He can offer you guidance but it is on you to tell him what you want exactly, and that will be what you get.
Cost?  You won’t find anyone cheaper or better at any price.  He does all my work from turning blanks into barrels to making me custom brakes and doing all kinds of smalls.
View Quote

Many thanks! I never knew blanks were that cheap so now I need to rethink my next project.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 11:21:26 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a GM barrel on my 10/22.  I've used it for .22 benchrest and results are consistently good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top