Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2024 9:24:35 PM EDT
I've been waiting for years (and bothering Griffin via email) and they FINALLY have XM177 Linear compensators available again! If you've been wanting one, better get it now. Apparently they are excellent on short barrels. Just a heads up for you guys. Got the XM177E2 together (it's already pinned so comp is going on another weapon) and I'm just swamped, but will post a couple pics in the next few days.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:17:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Here's the link

XM177 comp
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:45:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 5:09:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Is this an NFA item?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 6:10:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stahlgewehr762] [#4]
IIRC, they originally stopped making these due to "unwanted, terminal disassembly", meaning they were breaking, apparently quite catastrophically. Were they made of too brittle a material, and/or too thin in a critical area, to function in the high-impact and vibration environment of a muzzle device used on short barrels? I believe that the originals were made of some variation of stainless steel.

ETA: Apparently these are "Gen 2", so most likely they have "worked out the bugs" from the earlier variant. They are made from 17-4 stainless. They certainly do look good in the pics, and their product description is on point.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 5:20:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Anyone have any real world experience with one of these?
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 6:07:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: --FLEET--] [#6]
I've got an early one on a 12.7 pin and weld. Very low round count on it though. I guess if it blows up it will give me an excuse to SBR it to proper length.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:28:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fulautotank:
Is this an NFA item?
View Quote

No, it's a compensator....which is a hybrid between a muzzle brake and a flash hider.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:53:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a first generation one on my XM177 clone with a 10" barrel. I have fired over 1000 rounds through it and no cracks or failure, yet.

It is loud and spits out a thin flame. I expect it to fail at some point. It is loud.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 9:32:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By d16man:
I would like to see the inside of it.  Does it have ports on the inside like a Covert comp?
View Quote

I just got it the other day, and there is a tapered cone back to a hole in the front, then a separate "shelf" near the rear. Looks like that's all there is. I'm going to run it on a 10.5" and see what it does. I'll let you guys know what it does on a 'Blood Diamond' style carbine... I mean pistol.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top