Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2023 1:28:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wormraper]
I picked up a Dewey cleaning kit as well as a Sinclair bore guide and link since I've just been a lazy "Otis flexicable" cleaner for the last few years. Realized with the link I'd probably need a sled/cradle to hold it in place vs. just yanking the upper and slapping the otis cable through it free hand.

I have ZERO idea of what to look  for in a cradle, don't know what's a Piece of crap, and what is overkill for what I need.

basically, just a simple man's cradle that is well built and not overly fancy.

any suggestions ???
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 1:37:19 PM EDT
[#1]
This will sound dumb, but I use a plastic cat litter box to clean/hold most of my pistols and AR's.  All the small stuff gets broken down and put in the bottom.  The upper will sit across the top and let me clean the bore.  Now if the cat ever finds out about this.....
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 2:47:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mav3rick] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Slingblade2006:
This will sound dumb, but I use a plastic cat litter box to clean/hold most of my pistols and AR's.  All the small stuff gets broken down and put in the bottom.  The upper will sit across the top and let me clean the bore.  Now if the cat ever finds out about this.....
View Quote

I kind of do the same, but I use a carboard box because they are free from the grocery store and I can cut out grooves or slots towards the top. I am a poors...
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 4:14:11 PM EDT
[#3]
View Quote

lol, that's hilarious.

but doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of using a rod and patch? meaning I've always been told that the reason you use a sled or gun vise when using a rod and patch was so that it was locked in place and wouldn't move on you while you swabbed the patch down and the rod wouldn't knock into the barrel walls
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 5:09:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#4]
I use two sizes of Lyman gun cleaning mats for most things.

I also have some of these magwell blocks mounted in single and multiples.  I use the single for cleaning and other AR work.

A lot of people make magwell vice blocks. The company that made mine seemed to move on to a more complex line of mounting and storage products.  If the block doesn't have a mounting base and you don't have a vice, you can drill and tap the bottom and use a wood plank to make a mount or cleaning cradle for almost nothing.  A 3D printer can easily make one.
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 7:40:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By wormraper:

lol, that's hilarious.

but doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of using a rod and patch? meaning I've always been told that the reason you use a sled or gun vise when using a rod and patch was so that it was locked in place and wouldn't move on you while you swabbed the patch down and the rod wouldn't knock into the barrel walls
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wormraper:

lol, that's hilarious.

I have yet to use a rod and patch on a AR.  I have two bore snakes.  One with the brush and one without.  I use spray hoppes to soak the bore and let sit while I clean other parts.  Then use the snake with the brush a few times.  Then chamber brush if needed.  Then spray with rem oil and run the snake with no brush through.   It has worked for 20 years.  I have replaced the snake with the brush once in 20 years.  About every other cleaning I fill the litter box with hot water and laundry detergent and wash out the snakes and hang dry.
Link Posted: 7/14/2023 11:12:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I use a AR magazine well block clamped into a vice on my workbench.
Use a bottle brush to clean the interior of the upper.
Blow things out with air compressor.
Wipe with dry rag followed by oiled rag.

RCA
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 8:00:36 AM EDT
[#7]
if you have. bench vise, field strip the gun and put the upper into the vice. Goes without saying-not but so tight! I have a big piece of leather, 1'4" thick that's folded like a "U" that goes into the vice jaws and place a rag into that, clamps snug and works well.
Link Posted: 7/16/2023 8:30:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TN-MadDog] [#8]
I have been using these two items for decades to clean all sorts of guns.

Neither is perfect for cleaning an AR but between the two of them they do a good job.

Edited to add:

The MTM cradle is great for any rifle or shotgun or an assembled AR.

The Hoppe's is good for holding an upper or lower since it is adjustable.

Amazon Product
  • Great for gun cleaning and minor maintenance of firearms

Amazon Product
  • Sets up in seconds and securely holds any long gun in its over-molded rubber saddles

Link Posted: 7/19/2023 8:35:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I've got the MTM for range use and a REALLY old Midway cradle for home use.  I like the Midway cradle for the slots that hold my Dewey rods on the back.  So I'm simple minded about stuff.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 11:09:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I use a magwell block held in a vice with a upper lower link to keep everything rigid.  I yank out the BCG and clean that separately, then use a bore guide and a carbon fiber rod on the barrel, and a non-spinning rod on the chamber with a chamber brush. Works well and isn't a hassle to store.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 6:30:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I do have an MTM Cradle, and it works fine. However I normally shoot off a Harris Bipod at the range. So I just open the AR up, and lock it in position with a Cleaning Link. I then pull the Charging Handle and Bolt Carrier Group out, and install my Possum Hollow Bore Guide. I am now ready to field clean the AR. In years past I brought my gear home to clean, which might or might not happen. I have built a couple of Gun Cleaning Box's. One for my Specialty Single Shot Handguns, and a second for my rifles. I am now clean everything before leaving the Range. No more not getting around to cleaning after a Range Session.  

The best set up I have seen belongs to our Club Secretary. It is I believe an MTM Gun Cleaning Box that has slots for the Same vertical members used with the MTM Cradle. I believe it is no longer produced. A cleaning box with a Cradle is as handy as pockets on a shirt.

Bob R
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 12:02:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jnat] [#12]
I have a Tipton “ultimate” vise I use for optic mounting,  light gunsmith work,  etc. It’s fully adjustable and works perfect for cleaning as well.  I use the thing all the time.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 9:34:51 PM EDT
[#13]
+1 on the Tipton, I have the 'Best' gun vice, has a wide range of adjustments from 20" A2 length builds to shorty pistol builds. Great for cleaning to gunsmithing.
Only had the Best a few years but bought their base vice for sporting rifles like 15 to 20 years, everything still works. Hard to beat for the money.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 11:46:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jodan1776] [#14]
I have the MTM mentioned above, which works fine for simple cleaning; nothing more.   Handy little containers.   Especially great for taking to a match.

I have a Tipton Best which I got for working on guns - it is 100% useless for that task.   Cheap, floppy, flexible Chinese plastic.   Clamps are useless, due to flexing.  Would probably be fine for just cleaning.   Only reason I don't toss it is I use it for bore-sighting.  For simple, basic cleaning, I use the MTM.   For more extensive/vigorous cleaning, I use an AR magazine block in a vise (for ARs) or some wood barrel clamps in a vise for other rifles.

For any real work on a gun, THIS is what you need.   I use it all the time for scope mounting and most any rifle work.   I highly recommend it.
Amazon Product
  • The perfect tool for gun maintenance, gun cleaning and boresighting!

It's STEEL, and it is MADE IN USA.   No flexing.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:42:32 PM EDT
[#15]
If you're an Arfcom millionaire, you might like this, which just popped up in another Arfcom thread:

https://www.area419.com/product/orange-bench-vise-maintenance-and-barrel-change-package/
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:19:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Who wants to let them know they added an extra 9?
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top