Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2024 12:16:55 PM EDT
What is a good gun lube that wont burn off fast?
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 12:32:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#1]
MOBIL1 5w30

Link Posted: 2/9/2024 12:33:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dalle0001] [#2]
For the cheap end probably anything automotive will be good but it's not a good cleaning agent. Generally speaking you can use breakfree CLP and use grease like mobil1 on the wear points. I've been doing that for some time myself until I moved on to Froglube but Froglube is quite a bit more expensive and harder to apply for a normal user since you need to degrease and get rid of any carbon or petrol build up. I wouldn't recommend for beginners or impatient people who refuse to read instructions. Breakfree CLP and grease combo probably the cheapest and quickest route to go though and I wouldn't hesitate to go back to that.

For gun related ones, you can try something like Slip2000 for cheaper end but Slip2000EWL is probably best.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 12:36:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 12:43:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Colt653:

MOBIL1 5w30

https://i.imgur.com/Lt3gXIK.jpg
View Quote

Use what you want OP, I have migrated to Mobil 1.
Best part of the designer lubes is they usually have a cool bottle so you don’t waste any precious fluid.

Don’t buy this. Mine is in the landfill.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/9/2024 1:15:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I use Slip2000 EWL and EWG.

Don't let the name fool you, it's still good stuff 24 years later.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 1:34:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Are there any 2-in-1 cleaner and lube?
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 1:58:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: right_rudder] [#7]
Originally Posted By Shadow123:
View Quote
Slip gun lube is a mil spec CLP.

I use it out in the field as a cleaner/lube in a pinch but mostly just use their cleaner for cleaning and then the EWL/EWG for lube.
BUT their gun lube does a really good job cleaning as long as it's not copper or lead buildup

ETA: the EWL can clean as well, it's just more expensive so I don't.
But they do make pre soaked wipes with their gun lube that I keep in all my bags that work extremely well and are really convenient in the field or out at the range.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 2:30:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Shadow123:
View Quote

Jack of all trades, master of none

In the Army, we had CLP  "cleans lubes, protects"

It's mediocre

the older CLP had teflon beads, and cancer causing Trichloroethylene  

I prefer MOBIL1 for oil, MOBIL1 grease for Garands, and stuff

Hoppes #9 for copper solvent

Ballistol for blackpowder and corrosive cleaning

Link Posted: 2/9/2024 6:00:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tiribulus] [#9]
oops
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 6:03:01 PM EDT
[#10]
A guy in another thread suggested THIS

That place is close to where I live so I grabbed a quart for 7 bucks. It is impressively good in my rifles and handguns. It's a sorta premix of grease and oil for hard use applications.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 6:12:33 PM EDT
[#11]
SuperLube Synthetic low viscosity, with or without teflon, buyers choice. About $25-$30/quart, enough to last a lifetime or redistribute into smaller travel-sized bottles for various range bags, etc.

IMHO solvents shouldn't be lubricants & vise versa.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 7:26:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ssteph:IMHO solvents shouldn't be lubricants & vise versa.
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 2:26:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Synthetic super lube. Used it for years. Food safe/ safe to handle, odor free, stays put. Grease or oil whatever flavor uou like.Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 7:58:49 PM EDT
[#14]
I wouldn't mind the idea of no odor when shooting
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 8:00:46 PM EDT
[#15]
There’s so many great ones. In my vast experience over many years, the one that lasts the longest and stays put are the Slip2000 EWL products, especially the grease. Redline racing grease with red synthetic moly is the most amazing thing I’ve ever seen. Just make sure whatever lube you get is synthetic, because it makes a big difference.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 8:37:44 PM EDT
[#16]
All great answers here to OP. You can’t go wrong using anything these guys recommended.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 4:40:07 PM EDT
[#17]
The two best I have found are Corrosion-X and Clenzoil. Corrosion-x is cheaper, thicker and has less odor. Clenzoil is a better cleaner and the company sells very complete cleaning kits that have patches, bore snakes, brushes, etc. I would say both are about equal as a lube and rust preventer.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top