Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/5/2024 3:18:44 PM EDT
I bought a couple Spike's Tactical Spider complete lowers about 15 years ago or more.  They've been sitting around and I'm finally getting around to tinker with them.  I bought a couple SSA triggers that were on sale from Primary and fired up Youtube to learn how to swap out.  I'm running into a couple problems...

1. I can't rotate the safety past fire in order to get trigger out.  I push on the opposite side of the selector but it wont budge.
2. I have the hammer out and disconnector out, but trigger wont come out because the safety is in the way.
3. The pistol grip isn't fasted with a screw.  I can't tell if it's a nut, but I'm not sure how to get the grip off to get the safety off.

Anyone have experience with Spike's lowers?  I dont know if these lowers are any good, but it doesnt seem like swapping the trigger should be this hard.

I have a call into Spike's but I"m not expecting a return call.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:39:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pestilence12] [#1]
Originally Posted By MichaelVain:
I bought a couple Spike's Tactical Spider complete lowers about 15 years ago or more.  They've been sitting around and I'm finally getting around to tinker with them.  I bought a couple SSA triggers that were on sale from Primary and fired up Youtube to learn how to swap out.  I'm running into a couple problems...

1. I can't rotate the safety past fire in order to get trigger out.  I push on the opposite side of the selector but it wont budge.
2. I have the hammer out and disconnector out, but trigger wont come out because the safety is in the way.
3. The pistol grip isn't fasted with a screw.  I can't tell if it's a nut, but I'm not sure how to get the grip off to get the safety off.

Anyone have experience with Spike's lowers?  I dont know if these lowers are any good, but it doesnt seem like swapping the trigger should be this hard.

I have a call into Spike's but I"m not expecting a return call.
View Quote

IIRC, Spikes doesn't do anything different hardware-wise with their lowers.

The pistol grip will have a grip screw. They're all the same. Either its A. A flathead, B. a hex head, or C. a socket head. Shine a flashlight down there and see what you're working with. They all are threaded and screw in the same.

The trigger and safety should be milspec, so to get the safety out you need to get the detent out. the safety detent is under the pistol grip. So get that off first then the safety should roll over and let you get the trigger out.

ETA just looked at Spikes tactical lower parts kit, and the grip screw appears to be a Hex head. So you'll need a hex (allen) key to get it out.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 4:28:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the tip.  None of my Fixit Stick hex heads work.  I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get my hex key at my farm.  Appreciate the help.

I was under the impression by watching youtube videos that the safety should rotate freely or something if I push the non selector side in.  Guess that doesnt work.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 4:38:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MichaelVain:
Thanks for the tip.  None of my Fixit Stick hex heads work.  I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get my hex key at my farm.  Appreciate the help.

I was under the impression by watching youtube videos that the safety should rotate freely or something if I push the non selector side in.  Guess that doesnt work.
View Quote

It'll rotate freely once the detent is out I'm not sure what you watched, but every single AR I've ever worked on or built, the detent has to come out before the safety will.

I cant remember the key size, when I get home this evening I can jam one in there and get a size for you. They're typically...I want to say metric but I cant remember so I'll just check back in later.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:56:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Unless somebody dicked up your lower, your pistol grip is held on with a 1/4"-28 screw.

If socket head, a 3/16" Allen bit is required.

Your spring and detent for the selector need removed before the selector can be removed. Spring and detent are captured by the pistol grip.

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:55:57 PM EDT
[#5]
The grip screw, or rather hex screw on my Spike's lower is a 3/16.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:38:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys, I'll try it out when I get my hex wrenches.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:33:14 PM EDT
[#7]
My Fix it stick did have a 3/16 hex.  Was able to get grip loosened enough to turn selector and get the mil spec trigger out.

I was able to install the SSAE without issue thanks to youtube videos.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:40:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SuperHeavy] [#8]
People will cry, but you can put the safety between fire and safe and whack it with a mallet and take it out without removing the grip. If you wiggle it will slightly tapping it you can get it out "safer"... But you can damage the detent this way, and also don't lose it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 4:49:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dano523] [#9]
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 6:14:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: j3_] [#10]
Semi selector detent grooves are not made like an M16 selectors is and are not easily wiggled out. Some will not even wiggle out as there is no set spec for commercial stuff and the depth the groove is at varies between selector brands with some too deep to let the detent slip past the flat side edge. But it still makes no sense to do it as it is more aggravating and time consuming to even attempt it since backing the screw off enough and retightening it is only like a 30 second thing.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 1:23:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 1:40:45 AM EDT
[#12]
For future info you do not need to remove the safety to remove most triggers. This includes milspec triggers and Geissele triggers. Selector needs to be on fire and you need pull it out by lifting the front of the trigger up while pushing the rear down so it clears the selector. Installation is reverse.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top