Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/25/2023 11:11:04 PM EDT
So, I'm stumped on this. I have an upper that was assembled by D. Wilson which I shot about 600 or so rounds spread between 2 range days of PMC X-TAC through with no malfunctions. On a subsequent range trip I was about 2 or 3 magazines deep when I experienced my first failure to feed. I thought it was ammo, because I was shooting the last of some cheap Turkish ammo I had bought previously, and I've had issues with it in the past.

The next range trip, I experienced 2 failures to feed using AAC ammo, which I have heard is not the highest quality, but regardless, I decided to swap the buffer weight from a BCM T3 to a T2. On the next range day, I went back to the PMC ammunition and experienced 3 failures to feed, so now I'm confused.

There are some things I had changed about the rifle in between the first two trips where I had no malfunctions, and the trip where I started experiencing the failures to eject, which were: I swapped the BCG to a Microbest chrome, the original being a phosphate, and swapping out lowers from a mil-spec Centurion lower to a Radian ADAC.

My first assumption was the new BCG, because that seemed obvious, but I couldn't find anything wrong with it. I did the "gas ring test" where you set it on a flat surface to see if the weight of the carrier is enough to rotate the bolt, and it wasn't. So now I'm assuming the gas block might be out of alignment, but I'm not sure. I know D. Wilson aligns the gas block based off the gas port location, so even if the block is canted, I'm sure it's where it should be.

Build details:

Hodge 12.5" large port barrel

BCM MK2 buffer (A5 style) with T2/T3 buffer

Microbest BCG, chrome and phospate

OCL Polonium

Anybody have any input?
Link Posted: 10/25/2023 11:53:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you tried one round in the mag to see if it locks back on empty every time?
Quickest way to see if it's a gas problem..
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 4:16:59 AM EDT
[#2]
You have a couple of choices.  You could start swapping back parts, one by one, to the original configuration until it runs reliably again. I'm guessing BCG but just because guessing is fun.

Reality is, you don't have a previously reliable rifle. Once you change a major component for a complete different component you have a different rifle. This leads to option two... diagnose. Do you get bolt lock back? Is your gas efficiently? Is the extractor and spring in that new BCG to spec? You may now have a gun that's over or under buffered. Hard to say without more data.

What prompted you to start changing parts?
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 7:40:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, I built the rifle to SBR, and I already had one SBR lower, and I needed 2, so I was using the lower I already had as a placeholder while the form 1 for the new sbr was pending. And I was using a placeholder BCG as well, so that's why I put the new BCG in. I haven't noticed any issues with the bolt locking back on an empty mag, but I'll do some testing the next time I go to the range.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 7:52:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JBecker_72] [#4]
I recently had a similar malfunction and it turns out the upper receiver was just a little out of spec. Put the bolt carrier just high enough that it would occasionally skip over the round and jam up the rifle.

Notice the area of receiver just below the barrel extension. The magazine sits lower in relation to the feed ramps in comparison to my other rifles.

Now notice the gap on this Colt upper, same lower, same magazine.

That 1/32" or so was just enough to give the occasional bolt over brass malfunction.

Link Posted: 10/26/2023 8:00:25 AM EDT
[#5]
That's what I was afraid of. Really don't want to eat that $200 tax stamp from an out of spec lower. Praying it isn't this that's the issue.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 8:10:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By booger_hole:
That's what I was afraid of. Really don't want to eat that $200 tax stamp from an out of spec lower. Praying it isn't this that's the issue.
View Quote
Just for clarity, the lower isn't the issue, it was the upper. Or at least in my case.

That was the same lower and magazine with two different uppers.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 9:50:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Oh, I see. I misunderstood. Definitely don't think it's the upper in my case. I'm just hoping it isn't something like an out of spec magazine catch or magwell.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 10:26:18 AM EDT
[#8]
The BCGs could have different mass that is enough to effect function. It could have been on the edge of being over or under gassed and it was pushed over the edge if the BCG is different weight.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 12:44:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 1:36:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Banditman:
The BCGs could have different mass that is enough to effect function. It could have been on the edge of being over or under gassed and it was pushed over the edge if the BCG is different weight.
View Quote

I find this to be a stretch, but I guess it's not entirely outside of the realm of possibility.
Link Posted: 10/26/2023 2:06:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 2:38:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: emandude] [#12]
Best to mess with one variable at a time while maintaining constants elsewhere.

I ran into a feed ramp issue on a gun and had to have the ramps machined. It was confusing the hell out of me because there was one or two brands of magazine that oriented the round in such a way that it would skip over the imperfection and chamber every time. The rest on my collection would not. I had them mixed together and On some magazines I'd get repeated failures and on others I'd get 30 shots off malfunction free. I eventually had to sort by brand and run them that way to begin to understand what was going on.  

Look for lockback on a single round to check for a gas/timing issue as opposed to a tolerance issue.

If you run magazine brands mixed sort them out and try each brand to see if there's a tolerance or geometry issue some magazines overcome and others don''t.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 9:29:15 AM EDT
[#13]
swap your OG BCG back into it and see if your problem stops.

New parts sometimes need time/rounds for wear surfaces to smooth out.

Just because it passes the gas ring test, doesn't mean the new BCG isn't your problem. but when you start swapping in new parts, and malfunctions start happening, its the new parts.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:24:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Swapped back to the old BCG, problem is still occurring. It only seems to happen with Okay Surefeed magazines, though. My Magpuls are 100% reliable so far.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:10:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: emandude] [#15]
Delete
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:05:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like those magazines don't play well with your chosen configuration. It would appear you've solved the problem.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top