Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/21/2024 3:24:16 PM EDT
Bought this unusual find for a 20rd USGI mag that claims to be Colt. Baseplate looks vintage, black metal follower, body finish looks like it could be 'Nam era, but there are no stampings or engravings, save for a tiny weird horseshoe-like icon that raised my eyebrow a bit. Not sure if this is actually a Colt 20rd. Spent $34 on it...starting to think the seller scammed me out on this.

Picture Album

Anyone care to advise?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:27:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#1]
Universal Industries USGI contract.

Edit:

https://magfaq.tripod.com/mags1.htm#2m

"Colt-marked magazines were actually made by a sub contracter, Universal Industries, a division of Okay Industries. GI-Contract Colt 20s had alloy followers and are marked with a "UI" stamp (for Universal Industries) on the front narrow wall of the magazine. Tilted on it's side, the "UI" becomes a "CH" (Colt, Hartford). The US Military switched to 30-round magazines in the early 1970s, and Colt-marked 20s made after the switch had black plastic followers. Anodizing is generally gray or silver in color."
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:27:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DieselHaphazard] [#2]
Universal Industries made mags for Colt.

If you tilt it to the side, the U I becomes a C H for Colt, Hartford.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:28:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DieselHaphazard:
Universal Industries made mags for Colt.
View Quote

Gotcha. Am aware of that, but would I be 'correct' or in the wrong to state that this is a Colt mag? Is it worth anywhere from $14 to what I paid for it, at $34?
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 3:32:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1Tribe] [#4]
From the archives, this place was a fountain of knowledge

Colt mags Info
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 4:59:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I haves a couple of these somewhere in my pile of gun crap.

I really prefer 20 round magazines when shooting my AR15 rifles.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 6:36:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By AKzgalore:
Bought this unusual find for a 20rd USGI mag that claims to be Colt. Baseplate looks vintage, black metal follower, body finish looks like it could be 'Nam era, but there are no stampings or engravings, save for a tiny weird horseshoe-like icon that raised my eyebrow a bit. Not sure if this is actually a Colt 20rd. Spent $34 on it...starting to think the seller scammed me out on this.

Picture Album

Anyone care to advise?
View Quote

Just about anything can be faked these days, but your magazine looks my genuine Colt 20 round magazines.

Link Posted: 3/5/2024 6:07:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Combat_Diver] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Princeton:
I haves a couple of these somewhere in my pile of gun crap.

I really prefer 20 round magazines when shooting my AR15 rifles.
View Quote

Twenty rds mags still have advantages.  Shooting prone, in and out of armored vehicles, inside a 1950 weapons case inserted in weapon (30 too big for bag) instead of all taped up while parachuting without 1950.  Less snag through underbrush.  Easier swimming with.  Always had several 20s in Astan/Iraq.  Spare mags were all 30s however.  This trip first time I don't have any and miss them.

VietNam contracted Colt 20s in Astan.  Black tape designating Black Tip M995 AP, Gray mags Ball either M855 or M855A1, all tan mags are Mk262
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top