Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2024 10:39:05 PM EDT
HD rifle, and the legacy head is the F (Flood) vs the T (Throw).  I had a 1000 lumen Surefire 600U whose throw was weak but served an HD purpose fine.  Candela on the Surefire is about 12,000.

I really prefer using CR123 batteries to rechargeables, hence the purchase.  

Thoughts - if this thing is the Flood version, the Throw version must reach the moon.  The light is whiter than the Surefire, the hotspot much more noticeable, and the spill/flood is more of a dropoff than the uniformity of the 600U.

It's also .5 ounces heavier and a little bulkier, but that's fine.

Overall, not bad.  Malkoff makes similar heads for cheaper that are a smaller package, but the Modlite is impressive in its reach especially for the Flood version.

And we're not even talking about modern spec'ed options.

I run Surefire dual cell Vamps on the go-to's; generally weak white light but an easy transition to IR.  I'm almost tempted to get the newest gen Modlite or Rein, but keeping the IR option is just too valuable right now.

Not bad overall.  $209 is steep, and the flood is definitely different than the Surefire.  Taking it outside you see a significant reach difference to give it better universality...

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:03:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mudholestomper] [#1]
I still run a surefire 640df on my main hd rifle because it is perfect for my modest suburban home. I recently upgraded to a Modlite phlv2 df handheld and I love it.

The head will screw right on the surefire body if I decide I need the reach.

I bought a first gen cloud mini rein from the ee and it’s got the same stats as the Modlite phlv2 head. The head is a larger diameter, but it’s got a steel bezel and I’m not worried about banging it on on anything. They actually encourage using it as a striking tool. Much warmer light color. This is on my 16” ar.

Based on that, I bought my stepson a cloud mch duty handheld when Bereli was blowing them out for $100. That thing is a lumen AND candela beast. He’s an outdoorsy kid and he loves it.

The latest light I bought from the ee went on my ar10. Arisaka body and E2XTL head - 55,000 candela and 500 out-the-front lumens. This gun is heavy and meant to be run off a bipod. Setup for long range, I need the candela. White light that punches out pretty well, but the gun probably needs a surefire turbo or Modlite okw head tbh.

I need to get them all outside in my backyard and check them out side by side. The new Modlite is gonna punch out the strongest, I can tell. I think the Arisaka will surprise. I think the warmth of the Cloud will make it look darker, but it’s got decent power and it’s a tank.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:12:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mudholestomper:
I still run a surefire 640df on my main hd rifle because it is perfect for my modest suburban home. I recently upgraded to a Modlite phlv2 df handheld and I love it.

The head will screw right on the surefire body if I decide I need the reach.

I bought a first gen cloud mini rein from the ee and it’s got the same stats as the Modlite phlv2 head. The head is a larger diameter, but it’s got a steel bezel and I’m not worried about banging it on on anything. They actually encourage using it as a striking tool. Much warmer light color. This is on my 16” ar.

Based on that, I bought my stepson a cloud mch duty handheld when Bereli was blowing them out for $100. That thing is a lumen AND candela beast. He’s an outdoorsy kid and he loves it.

The latest light I bought from the ee went on my ar10. Arisaka body and E2XTL head - 55,000 candela and 500 out-the-front lumens. This gun is heavy and meant to be run off a bipod. Setup for long range, I need the candela. White light that punches out pretty well, but the gun probably needs a surefire turbo or Modlite okw head tbh.

I need to get them all outside in my backyard and check them out side by side. The new Modlite is gonna punch out the strongest, I can tell. I think the Arisaka will surprise. I think the warmth of the Cloud will make it look darker, but it’s got decent power and it’s a tank.
View Quote

Right now all my WMLs are two cells.  I think the modest weight and size increases are worth the performance increases.

My Surefire Vamps are the weakest, but the quick switch to IR trumps every other feature.

The Surefire M600U (1000 lu) is a warmer color but has a consistent spill.  The edges are as bright as the "center" and there's really no hot spot.

I also have a Malkoff head E2HT head.  It's a very tight beam with good throw and almost no spill/flood.  Good for outdoors, but again, I can't make it a main right now due to IR needs.

This Modlite option is nice, but I'm not sure it's worth $80 more than the slightly lesser powered Malkoff "Flood" 2 cell option E2HTv2.  It's smaller with a little less performance.  I don't have one so I cannot compare with the Modlite Legacy Enhanced F.  

We're in a really nice time as lights are getting better and better with more choices.  Streamlight, Surefire, Modlite, Cloud Defensive...options are great.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 11:35:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I absolutely love the Modlite Legacy heads as someone who dislikes rechargeable cells.

I’ve also got a few comparable Malkoff heads, but the Modlites beam profile and color are better, IMO.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 2:51:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By WUPHF:
I absolutely love the Modlite Legacy heads as someone who dislikes rechargeable cells.

I’ve also got a few comparable Malkoff heads, but the Modlites beam profile and color are better, IMO.
View Quote

Good to know. I was about to purchase the E2HTv2 for a comparison but will probably stick with the Modlite as the main on HD carbine and the Surefire as the backup.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:55:57 PM EDT
[#5]

I've also got a few comparable Malkoff heads, but the Modlites beam profile and color are better, IMO.
View Quote

This.

I've switched to Legacy heads for all my long guns.

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:59:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By MagnusActual:

This.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I've also got a few comparable Malkoff heads, but the Modlites beam profile and color are better, IMO.

This.

Can we get a legacy-like white light that is an easy conversion to IR?

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 2:26:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WTFShane] [#7]
I got mine on a holiday blem sale for $125.

Edit: wrong button.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 11:02:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By WTFShane:
I got mine on a holiday blem sale for $125.
View Quote

What site do I have to monitor for those deals?
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 12:26:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By DefenderAO:

View Quote

Modlite’s site. I’ve gotten a blem PLHV2 that I couldn’t see anything wrong with for $125 as well.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 10:06:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By bluedog82:

Modlite’s site. I’ve gotten a blem PLHV2 that I couldn’t see anything wrong with for $125 as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bluedog82:

Link Posted: 4/8/2024 1:01:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I didn't know about these.  (I have a Malkoff).  Thanks again for costing me money.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 5:28:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
I didn't know about these.  (I have a Malkoff).  Thanks again for costing me money.
View Quote

What did you get?  The F or T?
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 10:04:29 PM EDT
[#13]
The cheapest I've found, $177.65 shipped from Big Tex, use code "candela".

Link Posted: 4/8/2024 10:32:56 PM EDT
[#14]

The cheapest I've found, $177.65 shipped from Big Tex, use code "candela".

View Quote

Still works.  You likely cost people some money.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 2:44:44 AM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

Most sites SPAM my inbox with offers and ads after I order from them, so I usually hear about all the upcoming holiday sales.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top