Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2024 2:38:19 PM EDT
All,

While I can reload .223 Rem sometimes I get lazy and shop for commercial ammo.  I saw LAX had a 62-gr reman offering:

LAX 62-gr Remans

In that ad it sates, "*This ammunition is not intended for use with suppressors."  I thought that was weird so I contacted them as to why and got this response:

Our FMJ bullets were not designed for suppressor use, and while rare they could cause baffle strikes.
I would recommend choosing a heavier and more stable bullet such as the 69gr or 77gr HPBT bullets for suppressors.

Most FMJ bullets in 55 and 62 grain are manufactured with a similar process as ours, but their overall design is not ideal for passing safely through baffles in a suppressor.
Barrel length does not have significant affect, but twist rate may and 1/7 seems to be the most stable in our testing for both bullets.

The issue is caused by the bullet's bearing surface lightly brushing a baffle; many bullets and especially short bullets can slightly wobble when exiting the muzzle.
Once a bullet comes in contact with a baffle it may tumble through the remaining baffles, although that is not common.
We don't suggest shooting 55 or 62 grain FMJ bullets through suppressors, unless it was specifically designed to do so safely.
View Quote

This doesn't seem right to me.  Sure, you need the right twist rate.  Duh.  I believe every .223 Rem barrel I own has a twist rate between 1/7 and 1/9; so it isn't like I am running this through a 1/12 or 1/14 barrel.

Oh, and their recommended 69 or 77 grain weight rounds?  Yeah, they're out of stock.  Thanks a bunch, bro.

Additionally, my only rifle can is drilled for .30 caliber anyway (0.375" ID).  So while I am not concerned about bullets coming out of the muzzle destabilized even if they are (very slightly) I have more clearance between the bore axis and my baffles than someone with a .223 dedicated can.

What say the hive mind?  Is this much ado about nothing?  Or should I buy some other brand of 62-gr .223 Rem for use in my (occasionally suppressed) ARs?
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:26:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a feeling somebody tried to blame their baffle strike on LAX.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 3:50:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m200maker] [#2]
I have never ordered from LAX. They won’t ship from California to California.

I order from PSA and Wilson Combat with no issues.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 4:29:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Once a bullet comes in contact with a baffle it may tumble through the remaining baffles, although that is not common.
We don't suggest shooting 55 or 62 grain FMJ bullets through suppressors, unless it was specifically designed to do so safely.
View Quote

Huh? The bullet is "wobbling" on exit, then somehow stabilizes itself at some later time?

Not sure if the science checks out.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 5:18:48 PM EDT
[#4]
It's probably to cover their butts so no one comes back at them with something.
I'll never buy remanufactured ammo again.
I bought some 9mm during the covid BS and some of the bullets were loaded upside down in the case.
FEDARM wouldn't replace them because I didn't have the lot number.
Here's a decent deal on PMC.
PMC bronze
PMC X-TAC

Link Posted: 4/12/2024 5:45:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TGE:
The bullet is "wobbling" on exit, then somehow stabilizes itself at some later time?

View Quote

It's apparently a known thing with target shooters.
Pitching and Yawing of a bullet
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:28:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Sturmgewehr-58:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pF8W5liSRc
View Quote

Some people here will fight you that this doesn't happen, but it does
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 6:40:05 PM EDT
[#7]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
The bullet is "wobbling" on exit, then somehow stabilizes itself at some later time?

So max 3-ish degrees of yaw?... If that's the correct term.

I can't math it out, but I don't think that's enough to contact baffles regularly. If it was, everyone would have strikes all the time. I'd bet 90%+ of 5.56 fired through a suppressor is 55gr, right?

Note for post below yours: I'm not admitting there's any wobble btw, just playing along
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:34:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mcantu] [#8]

So max 3-ish degrees of yaw?... If that's the correct term.

I can't math it out, but I don't think that's enough to contact baffles regularly. If it was, everyone would have strikes all the time. I'd bet 90%+ of 5.56 fired through a suppressor is 55gr, right?

Note for post below yours: I'm not admitting there's any wobble btw, just playing along
View Quote

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top