Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2024 5:36:14 PM EDT
Currently running a .300bo (7in Q barrel with a YHM can) I have an EOTech Holo and EOTech 3x. I'm debating on getting an LVPO for it I honestly prefer the eye relief on these over the 3x.

I have a vortex PST gen 2 on my ar10 and enjoy that. I've looked at SIGs. I'm not looking to spend $$$$ but not looking for chineesium products.

In y'all honest opinion is it worth it for my .300bo or get used to the eye relief?
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:46:26 PM EDT
[#1]
The Eotech is way better quality than any moderately priced LVPO. I got the itch as well and went with a Swampfox Tomahawk to try it out. It has great eye reliefe. Red dot and 3x is better.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GBOOT99:
The Eotech is way better quality than any moderately priced LVPO. I got the itch as well and went with a Swampfox Tomahawk to try it out. It has great eye reliefe. Red dot and 3x is better.
View Quote

I was looking at the SIG Tango msr can't make up my mind on ffp or sfp but I've already have the EOtechs and don't want an expensive optic going to waste if you will
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:03:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GBOOT99] [#3]
Originally Posted By Jzack:

I was looking at the SIG Tango msr can't make up my mind on ffp or sfp but I've already have the EOtechs and don't want an expensive optic going to waste if you will
View Quote

I'm an FFP fan. But for 8x or less SFP made more sense for me. Plus its much easier to know your hold overs when zoomed in a bit. I cannot remmeber if I looked through a Tango. Either way try them out.

ETA: the EOtech Vudu is where it's at.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:08:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EdgecrusherXES] [#4]
Is the Sig optic China glass?  I thought it was made in China.  You can get another Viper 1-6 for under $500 right now on Dvor.
https://www.dvor.com/vortex-viper-pst-gen-ii-1-6x24-sfp-riflescope.html
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:42:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:
Is the Sig optic China glass?  I thought it was made in China.  You can get another Viper 1-6 for under $500 right now on Dvor.
View Quote

I have no idea what their glass is sadly. Way under educated on SIG. I've been running vortex but a buddy of mine brought up a valid point. They offer lifetime warranty (which to some is great) but to me and him why offer that do you not trust your product?

The Vudu I was looking at along with trijicon credo
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:09:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I ran a sig tango msr 1-8 sfp for a bit and it was great for the price. Better than most in this price category and better than the vortex in same price category.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:30:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By tarheel7734:
I ran a sig tango msr 1-8 sfp for a bit and it was great for the price. Better than most in this price category and better than the vortex in same price category.
View Quote

Awesome! Yeah I know LPVOs are in that weird state you either love or hate them. But for my end all be all rifle I want something that I don't have to truly worry about really anything. Hence why I was leaning on going against the norm with a short barrel. At 1x it's like a HEAVY red dot and at max I can easily identify at range.

I'd prob take the EOS and throw them on my 556 that a rarely take out 😭😭
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:42:45 PM EDT
[#8]

I have no idea what their glass is sadly. Way under educated on SIG. I've been running vortex but a buddy of mine brought up a valid point. They offer lifetime warranty (which to some is great) but to me and him why offer that do you not trust your product?

View Quote

Many optics makers offer the same warranty now.  It is kind of the standard now if you want to compete.
The Vudu Credo is kind of in a different league compared to the Sig.  The Sig is more comparable to the Vortex Venom/Strike Eagle Gen1.  That is why I also recommended the Viper PST over the Sig the Viper spanks the Sig all around especially in glass quality.  The Viper is closer to the Vudu basically 90%ish a Razor.  
The Sig is fine it does have some color and distortion issues that you get on lower end optics like the SLx PA optics.  The 1-8 and 1-10x Sig MSR have super tight eye boxes and are not very forgiving just FYI.  It is kind of one of the comprises of getting into any LPVO once you exceed 6x the eye box narrows more and more as you drive up the magnification something even the Razor 1-10x suffers from.  Now some manufacturers are starting to move to 34mm tubes to increase the objective to offset that but it is the nature of the beast with LPVOs.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:58:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Many optics makers offer the same warranty now.  It is kind of the standard now if you want to compete.
The Vudu Credo is kind of in a different league compared to the Sig.  The Sig is more comparable to the Vortex Venom/Strike Eagle Gen1.  That is why I also recommended the Viper PST over the Sig the Viper spanks the Sig all around especially in glass quality.  The Viper is closer to the Vudu basically 90%ish a Razor.  
The Sig is fine it does have some color and distortion issues that you get on lower end optics like the SLx PA optics.  The 1-8 and 1-10x Sig MSR have super tight eye boxes and are not very forgiving just FYI.  It is kind of one of the comprises of getting into any LPVO once you exceed 6x the eye box narrows more and more as you drive up the magnification something even the Razor 1-10x suffers from.  Now some manufacturers are starting to move to 34mm tubes to increase the objective to offset that but it is the nature of the beast with LPVOs.
View Quote

I disagree that the viper spanks the sig. The sig has a better reticle and can be had for half the price of the viper. The glass really is not that much different.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:58:44 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

Vortex’s warranty is famous, because people use it. But it really is no questions asked. Of all the Vortex products I own/have owned I’ve only had an issue with one, a Strikefire II that flickered and was replaced under warranty ~10 years ago.

The PST II linked above for <$500 would be my choice. If Vortex could release a PST III that is essentially the same optic but 3-4oz lighter I’d buy a handful of them. Call it an “E” version like the Razor. The weight is the only downside to the PST II.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:06:24 PM EDT
[#11]

I disagree that the viper spanks the sig. The sig has a better reticle and can be had for half the price of the viper. The glass really is not that much different.
View Quote

The Viper hands down spanks the Sig I owned the 1-6x MSR the glass was no where near close to the Viper.  The Viper can be had for under 500 and I prefer the clean reticle on the Viper plus the daylight clear dot.  Reticle though is completely subjective though but the glass on the Viper leaves the Sig MSR in the dust.  Take them side by side and look at the color and clarity of fine details the Sig will have color and clarity distortion.  It is not Amazon special clarity by any means but the Viper has far superior glass no doubt.
I will give it to the Sig it is not a lead anchor like the Viper.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:11:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m200maker] [#12]
There is an Sig on PSA with the mount that won’t break the bank. I can’t speak to it but maybe someone else can. It looks like a good deal and PSA are good people and will probably return it if you don’t like it.

Sig LPVO

I have 100% regretted buying cheap optics.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:36:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I have the EOTech -4 model so it has the BDC dots. Paired with the 5X, it can be an effective combo out to 400 yds.

Having said that, the eye relief and FOV on any magnifier is going to be worse than an LPVO. Additionally, you generally only have ballistic dots so there's no wind holds.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 8:38:01 PM EDT
[#14]

The Viper hands down spanks the Sig I owned the 1-6x MSR the glass was no where near close to the Viper.  The Viper can be had for under 500 and I prefer the clean reticle on the Viper plus the daylight clear dot.  Reticle though is completely subjective though but the glass on the Viper leaves the Sig MSR in the dust.  Take them side by side and look at the color and clarity of fine details the Sig will have color and clarity distortion.  It is not Amazon special clarity by any means but the Viper has far superior glass no doubt.
I will give it to the Sig it is not a lead anchor like the Viper.
View Quote

Again I disagree with your comparason, especially when both are next to my atacr and my gen iii razor. The glass on the viper and tango are far closer. Again the sig is about half the cost if the viper as well. The viper you have to purchase a mount or rings as well while the msr can be had for under 300 and usually closer to 250 and even on sale at 200 with a mount. With the price difference, the performance difference is not big.

Both have distortion and color issues compared to great scopes.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:13:50 AM EDT
[#15]
7" BO shouldn't need much more than 4x? TR24 to keep it light.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:54:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#16]
The EOtech 3-2 series using the 2-dot reticle actually has some good usefulness on .300BLK as the second point is a pretty good reference zero for subs.  I've done it with a 3-2 zerosed for 200yd supersonics and the second dot definitely gets your subs in the center of silhouettes at 75-100 yards.  But then I switched it out for a Vortex UH-1 gen2 holographic because they don't have battery issues... an now I kind of want to sell the UH1 and go back to an EXPS3-2 again because the 3-2 was more useful on the 300BLK and offers noticeably clearer night vision performance.   Just zero your gun for 110gr supers using the middle dot like normal, and figure out what distance YOUR gun and whatever brand of subs your using cross that second reticle point (the second eotech point is 3mrad lower).  Mine was about 75 yards with S&B 200gr green box subsonics.

Here's numbers though a calculator using numbers from my 8" 300BLK setup and the ammo I use.  Note that YMMV, especially if you choose a different supersonic zero profile or different subs... but it will all generally be in this ballpark.  I essentially chose a ~4" 200yd MBPR supersonic zero because it's my house gun and S&B 200gr subs are a bit light and slow, but they're quiet and cheap ).  I did notice that there is a consistent repeatable horizontal windage difference between the supers and subs, but it was like <1" so it doesn't really matter - probably a harmonics difference or something.

EOtech Center Point:
Supers 110gr AAC Sabre 2175FPS

Zero at 36yds / 175yds
+2.3" impact at 110yd (peak)
-2.1 impact at 200yds (MBPR)

EOtech Second Point (3mil):
Supers 110gr AAC Sabre 2175FPS

~370yds

EOtech Second Point (3mil):
Subs 200gr S&B FMJ 900FPS

Zeros 17yd / 75yd
+1.8" impact at 47yd
-4.5" impact at 100yd

EOtech Bottom of the Ring (10mil):
Subs 200gr S&B FMJ 900FPS

~200yds

Optics Planet actually has .300BLK specific reticles in their "OPMOD" distributer exclusives where the second dot is supposed to be calibrated for actually being zero 300BLK subsonic zero, but the Optics Planet EOtech is ugly AF with some dark green scheme that has writing all over the whole thing and it's only regular XPS/EXPS "2" model, not the "3" model... the EXPS/XPS "3" models are the .mil grades with better construction, deeper waterproofing, and NV settings.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:59:29 AM EDT
[#17]
I know it sounds like bad advice, but try the $99 PA 3x LER (long Eye Releif) magnifier.

The eye relief is phenomenal.  Image is crisp and clear.  I've used AP and EOtech magnifiers and would never buy one after trying the PA 3X LER. Nothing to do with price; the PA is just so much easier to get behind than those two.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:03:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#18]
Originally Posted By PistoleroJesse:
7" BO shouldn't need much more than 4x? TR24 to keep it light.
View Quote

I concur that weight should be a primary concern and that 300 BLK is not a long range round, so high magnification, FPP, and long range shooting with wind holds is not a very big concern.

I have a 300 BLK with a Leupold VX5HD 1-5x Firedot and I feel strongly about the weight. My optic alone is just over 14oz and with a Larue mount it is 21oz total. I zero at 50y and a custom BDC turret takes care of my holds at 150+. 300 BLK is the wrong round if you are worried about bucking the wind at distace. You will have over 30" of driftat 400y in a 10mph crosswind.  I can accurately shade the target into the wind at 200y or less with a 10mph or less winds. I can go 5/5 on a 6" target at 300 yards with low wind. The 5x magnification is a bit light past that, but a 10x12" at 400 would not be an issue if there was no wind. Over 400y is going to be transsonic territory and accuracy and wind deflection makes 300 BLK impossible to shoot in shifting wind.

IMO, if you want to compare an LPVO to a red dot and magnifier you have to consider weight, reticle brightness, battery life, and size.

Few reticles are bright enough to see well in daylight at 1x and those that are will die quickly if left on accidentally. So for me, motion activation is a must right after an adequately bright reticle.

Then weight is my next factor. For a 4-6× max, I want under 17oz. If I need 8-10×  I want under 19oz.

As for the Chinesium comment, there are several examples of China made LPVO that have clarity and magnification beyond a red dot with magnifier. For example, I have a 1-6x Primary Arms NOVA and it has a great reticle... better than Leupold Firedot and even slightly better than the Steiner P4Xi. It has a motion activated battery cap option that I added to give it motion activation/deactivation. The problem? It is NOT glass clarity... it is the WEIGHT. It is over 18oz with that battery cap.

Finally there is the length issue. The Primary Arms 1-6× NOVA is not an especially short optic at 10.4" and with the 4.0" eye relief, it means there is some rail overhang... and I am sure a 7" barreled 300 BLK is going to put a huge premium on not wasting rail space.

For certain applications, like your short handguard, optic length that overhangs the rail is going to be a BIG deal if you dont use a VFG and anything over 11" just wont work, while ~8.3-9.3" would be ideal. To save rail space and keep my BUIS. I run my front BUIS (MBUS gen2) under the objective overhang of my Leupold (which is not super short in comparison to many modern LPVOs at 10.8" but the 3.7" eye relief puts the front of the scope in about the same position as the Primary Arms 1-6× NOVA). With a 9" or longer rail there is plenty of space left. With your 7" barrel, you would be forced to use a VFG. If you currently do not use a VFG with your reddot that has zero overhang, this may be your #1 issue.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:31:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Agree with those that question the true utility of an LPVO on a short 300blk.
Sure, you CAN sit on a bench with good ammo in good conditions with a scope and make hits out to a little distance (and I do during load testing), it is just harder than with a .223.  Given your price constraints, I assume you don't have virtually unlimited resources, like most of us.  If I was going to spend the money on a mid level or above LPVO to dedicate to one rifle, I would put it on something with more distance ability than a short 300blk.  300blk is a short range round, and practically best suited for a red dot (in my opinion, all that).  I'd just stick with the Eotech and keep that thing light and maneuverable like it was meant to be... ymmv.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:51:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Keep an eye out to see if these these come back in stock.

They were on sale a couple of months ago for $199. Made in Phillipines, most definitely daylight bright, 17.6 oz and sits nicely on a 10.5" blk.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:55:56 AM EDT
[#21]

Again I disagree with your comparason, especially when both are next to my atacr and my gen iii razor. The glass on the viper and tango are far closer. Again the sig is about half the cost if the viper as well. The viper you have to purchase a mount or rings as well while the msr can be had for under 300 and usually closer to 250 and even on sale at 200 with a mount. With the price difference, the performance difference is not big.

Both have distortion and color issues compared to great scopes.
View Quote

We are going to have to agree that we just disagree.  I am not saying the Sig MSR is trash but I would consider it more in line with the PA SLx, Vortex Venom/Strike Eagle, and similar glass.  The ATACR and Razor are definitely in a whole other league as well and to me the Viper was kind of in the middle of these.  To me the Viper was much clearer and far less distortion than my MSR but the MSR definitely is a great value price point wise.  The only reason I do not have mine anymore was my cousin got into shooting ARs and was unsure on optics and I gave him my Sig and he loved it.  He is able to make solid hits on his range with a PSA AR out to 500 consistently using the MSR.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:52:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Marex:
Keep an eye out to see if these these come back in stock.

They were on sale a couple of months ago for $199. Made in Phillipines, most definitely daylight bright, 17.6 oz and sits nicely on a 10.5" blk.
View Quote

I have zero experience with that scope, but it seems like it should be noted that right at the top of the description it says:  "Note: These Special Purchase 1-6X ACSS Nova riflescopes were found to have an illumination brightness that did not meet our expectations and are therefore being sold at a deeply discounted price due to this blemish."

And under the specifications:  "Partial Illumination"

A lot of this stuff can be a bit subjective, but that would at least give me significant pause if good 1x performance is something you greatly value in an LPVO as I do.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:13:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By DVCNick:

I have zero experience with that scope, but it seems like it should be noted that right at the top of the description it says:  "Note: These Special Purchase 1-6X ACSS Nova riflescopes were found to have an illumination brightness that did not meet our expectations and are therefore being sold at a deeply discounted price due to this blemish."

And under the specifications:  "Partial Illumination"

A lot of this stuff can be a bit subjective, but that would at least give me significant pause if good 1x performance is something you greatly value in an LPVO as I do.
View Quote

I own one. It's Vortex Razor-bright.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:19:52 PM EDT
[#24]

I own one. It's Vortex Razor-bright.
View Quote

Are the $199 ones the factory rejects (ie PA found something wrong with the illumination so they’re selling them at a discounted rate)?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:37:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By PacNW5:

Are the $199 ones the factory rejects (ie PA found something wrong with the illumination so they’re selling them at a discounted rate)?
View Quote

That's what their ad says but there is nothing that I can find that is wrong with mine so I can't speak to what they are referring to.

I took a chance knowing PA has a good return policy and it has surpassed my expectations. I've owned many of the popular (quality) LPVOs and this one holds it's own just fine. Reasonable weight, good image quality and daylight bright.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:19:11 PM EDT
[#26]
I wouldn't magnify a 7" bbl. Run the Eotech without the mag.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 1:59:08 PM EDT
[#27]

That's what their ad says but there is nothing that I can find that is wrong with mine so I can't speak to what they are referring to.

I took a chance knowing PA has a good return policy and it has surpassed my expectations. I've owned many of the popular (quality) LPVOs and this one holds it's own just fine. Reasonable weight, good image quality and daylight bright.
View Quote

The daylight bright is kind of an understatement it can go thermonuclear and fireball.  It is a good optic not the most clear or best glass but for the price and considering it is a SLx line it is on par with competition.  I have played around with this model a few times on my buddies rifle and it is pretty nice but I also like the simpler reticles in LPVOs which is why I like this one.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:24:07 PM EDT
[#28]
For that setup, I'd chase down the lightest 1-4 you can afford.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:34:28 PM EDT
[#29]

The daylight bright is kind of an understatement it can go thermonuclear and fireball.  It is a good optic not the most clear or best glass but for the price and considering it is a SLx line it is on par with competition.  I have played around with this model a few times on my buddies rifle and it is pretty nice but I also like the simpler reticles in LPVOs which is why I like this one.
View Quote

I'm not sure it falls in the SLX line as SLX are made in China and this is made in the Phillipines. It seems more GLX-level in terms of glass and quality.

Regardless, it's a solid lpvo.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 2:47:53 PM EDT
[#30]

I'm not sure it falls in the SLX line as SLX are made in China and this is made in the Phillipines. It seems more GLX-level in terms of glass and quality.

Regardless, it's a solid lpvo.
View Quote

Good point I just assumed it was SLx.  The daylight bright reticle definitely makes it a cut above a lot of LPVOs on the market.  Many have illumination but once in daylight are almost useless.  The PA Nova and Viper PST2 are great mid range optics that you can use as an actual red dot in a sense where a lot of other LPVOs just do not cut it in that capability.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:15:12 PM EDT
[#31]

Good point I just assumed it was SLx.  The daylight bright reticle definitely makes it a cut above a lot of LPVOs on the market.  Many have illumination but once in daylight are almost useless.  The PA Nova and Viper PST2 are great mid range optics that you can use as an actual red dot in a sense where a lot of other LPVOs just do not cut it in that capability.
View Quote

There is another one. SupersetCA (Gunners Guild) looked at it. Supposedly, these guys are the OEM providers for PA.

The Vector Continental 1-8 is not an Airsoft scope
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:19:25 PM EDT
[#32]
I’ve been looking at the viper pst 1-6 for my backup rifle.
Like the daylight bright dot, usable reticle and the price. Have a razor 1-6 and Trijicon 1-4.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 6:19:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3-gun] [#33]
Double tap
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:12:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Thank you all! Seriously!!! Weight is an annoyance of mine and like stated the PST is heavy. I have that on my ar10 (308) I do enjoy it and would love to see a gen 3. Doing some shopping around it does look like everyone is offering a lifetime warranty outside of your top dollar (out of my range) price tag haha.

As to the rail space yes 100% agree. With limited space it does pose issues. Especially running my light. For giggles my buddy has the SIG Romeo/Juliet combo and for some reason the Juliet pairs well with my XPS I truly don't understand that. Why another company works better...unless it's just my imagination.

But yes 300bo isn't something you want to shoot at 300yd it is a close round. My zero is normally at 50yd. Ive been trying to understand the 100yd zero thing. Don't know how to explain it but like it's pretty much if you zero at 100 then your hold over/under are pretty easy...fine points IF you have the tic or hash marks haha.

My issue with dot and mat is 100% the eye relief and like someone said the mag relief is always going to be bad. I may just take the 3x off and shave that extra weight down. It just feels off or naked when that little extra rail space is there. Yes it's stupid I get that haha.

But honestly thank you all for the info I will be looking at the links posted and everything here!!!
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:35:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Aaoptics has full warranty vortex refurbs...freeship no tax.

Viper pst gen 2 1-6 $445 otd.

I grabbed 2. Perfect.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top