Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/6/2024 5:38:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 50dan]
I built an Aero 308 with a Wilson Combat 18” barrel, matching WC gas block, rifle length gas tube, and it has a Magpul PRS stock.  I can only manually chamber  a round, fire it, then it will not eject or feed next round.  I think the issue is my buffer setup.  My buffer tube is like 9-3/16” deep and I’m using a rifle length recoil spring and a 5.36oz rifle buffer weight that is 5-1/4” long.  Should I be using the shorter buffer weight like the AR15 style standard carbine length buffer weight instead of the longer 308 buffer weight?  I have a carbine buffer weight that is 3-1/4” in length.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 9:04:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Check the extractor.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 9:37:41 AM EDT
[#2]
The gas port on my 16” WC .308 barrel needed to be enlarged to .085 for the gun to cycle reliably.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 3:35:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 50dan] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Blackie:
The gas port on my 16” WC .308 barrel needed to be enlarged to .085 for the gun to cycle reliably.
View Quote

That was the next thing I was wondering.  Thanks, I may need to try that. But did you run an adjustable gas block after you did that?
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 5:36:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Homesteader375] [#4]
Since a PRS mounts to a rifle length receiver extension, unless you heavily modified something, it should run rifle length buffer and spring. The receiver extension, not the stock, dictates this.

Does the BCG not move at all?

I'd start examining gas. GB alignment, leak check everything, gas port size. It hand cycling pretty well rules out the lower and FCG interfering with the BCG.

ETA: posted this missing the fact that this is a .308 gun. Shorty buffer is correct for a .308 gun, no rifle length buffer.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 5:53:04 AM EDT
[#5]
What bcg are you using?
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 11:05:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Homesteader375:  Since a PRS mounts to a rifle length receiver extension, unless you heavily modified something, it should run rifle length buffer and spring. The receiver extension, not the stock, dictates this.

Does the BCG not move at all?

I'd start examining gas. GB alignment, leak check everything, gas port size. It hand cycling pretty well rules out the lower and FCG interfering with the BCG.
View Quote

An AR-15 rifle length buffer in an AR-15 rifle buffer tube will not allow a .308 bolt carrier to move far enough to the rear to feed.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 2:40:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

An AR-15 rifle length buffer in an AR-15 rifle buffer tube will not allow a .308 bolt carrier to move far enough to the rear to feed.
View Quote

This above,

You need to use a standard length carbine buffer in a rifle tube or A5 length tube for a AR10 or a shortened AR10 buffer if using a carbine length RE.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 3:58:40 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

I swear 4:30 am posting is as bad as drunk posting. I somehow missed that this was a .308 gun. Forget my retardation and carry on.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 4:02:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Homesteader375:

I swear 4:30 am posting is as bad as drunk posting. I somehow missed that this was a .308 gun. Forget my retardation and carry on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Homesteader375:
Originally Posted By backbencher:  An AR-15 rifle length buffer in an AR-15 rifle buffer tube will not allow a .308 bolt carrier to move far enough to the rear to feed.

It gets more entertaining w/ the AR-15 receiver length .308s, w/ folks getting pissed Ruger cheaped out & only used a single screw on the gas key.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:08:23 PM EDT
[#10]
BCG is a Toolcraft…
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:10:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By raverill:
What bcg are you using?
View Quote

BCG is Toolcraft…
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#12]
This is a good resource

https://308ar.com/assemble-308-lower/
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 3:52:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By QtrHorse:

This above,

You need to use a standard length carbine buffer in a rifle tube or A5 length tube for a AR10 or a shortened AR10 buffer if using a carbine length RE.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

This above,

I’m using a rifle length buffer tube, weight and spring for the Magpul PRS.
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 5:48:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: QtrHorse] [#14]
Originally Posted By 50dan:

I’m using a rifle length buffer tube, weight and spring for the Magpul PRS.
View Quote

Are you using this buffer?  If yes, is it the AR15 length or AR10 length (5.9in vs 5.2in)?

Link Posted: 2/12/2024 7:32:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dano523] [#15]
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 3:36:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Are you using this buffer?  If yes, is it the AR15 length or AR10 length (5.9in vs 5.2in)?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/278288/IMG_2754-3127092.jpg
View Quote

My buffer weight is what you have pictured it is 5.2”
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 3:48:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Dano523:
And on PPS butt stock, are you using a shorter A1 bolt, and not the longer A2 that would be protruding into the receiver extension void area?  

As for bolt not moving at all, either gas leak, or gas blockage.  Hence some gas blocks are set up to use forearm clips, some are not, so don't just slam the gas block all the way back against the shoulder, until you messure distance from shoulder to gas port, then same on gas block, to see if it needs to be gapped off the barrel shoulder of not to align with the barrel gas port.

As for gas leakage, CLP around back of carrier key, hold the bolt in wards, then pressurize the front of the key to make sure it not leaking against the top of the carrier surface.  Same for gas block to barrel and tube, and pressurize gas tube from withing the receiver.

Last one, there is dmps/stoner spec for 308, then armalite in 308, and the two are not the same.  So figure out what upper parts in play, and make sure that barrel is same spec as well.  If not, then going to have head spacing problems.

Same goes for hammers, since Armalite spec uses thinner hammers, and it will wedge if you have a DPMS spec width hammer with Armalite spec carrier, going to cause problems as well.
View Quote

The bolt moves just fine I’m not sure who started that issue.
I’m not sure what you mean by A1 and A2 bolt length?   The Toolcraft BCG that I have is listed for AR10/LR308/6.5 Creedmoore.
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 8:53:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I can’t tell you how many times I have seen posted over the years your problem in both ARs and LRs.  The issue has often been caused by the gas tube being put in upside down or the gas tube pin put in front of the gas tube instead of through it.  Easy mistake to make and correct, and it cost nothing to correct.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 4:55:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Homesteader375] [#19]
Originally Posted By 50dan:

The bolt moves just fine I’m not sure who started that issue.
I’m not sure what you mean by A1 and A2 bolt length?   The Toolcraft BCG that I have is listed for AR10/LR308/6.5 Creedmoore.
View Quote

I believe Dano is referencing the bolt holding your prs stock to your receiver extension should be the short bolt native to an A1 stock. An A2 stock would have required a longer bolt and a spacer. If the longer bolt were used without the spacer, the buffer might hit the end of the bolt protruding into the receiver extension, preventing complete cycling. Not the BCG but the threaded bolt in the stock.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top