Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/23/2024 4:50:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pb57]
These have been on the market for a few years now, and I've seen them on sale in the $8-9 range. With the polymer mag market seemingly saturated, they don't seem to have established much of a foothold. The non-windowed version is made in Michigan while the windowed style is made in Taiwan. Anyone familiar?

Link Posted: 2/26/2024 10:01:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Maverick854] [#1]
Have never used but would purchase pmags instead

They sorta look like kci mags
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 10:02:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 10:52:33 AM EDT
[#3]
My question is why would someone pay pmag prices for an unproven product from a manufacturer known for having hit or miss quality?
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 10:53:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Big-Bore] [#4]
Have you actually yourself tried their stuff in the last 5 years?  Didn’t think so.  I sort of agree and am afraid to try some of their stuff, like scopes, but I have used quite a few of their scope rings, Pic rail risers, and offset scope mounts on many builds, 5.56 to .458 SOCOM, and they are holding up very well and have not given me any trouble at all.  Most everyone who has used their USA made handguards have nothing but praise for them also.  

So, don’t be too quick to dismiss their stuff based on what was true 10-20 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 11:16:22 AM EDT
[#5]
You can get Pmags for those prices, so no point.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 11:39:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TGWLDR] [#6]
The few reviews that I've seen were positive.

Competition between mag companies is a good thing.

ETA: Pic of windowed version:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 2:48:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MallNinja531] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Big-Bore:
Have you actually yourself tried their stuff in the last 5 years?  Didn’t think so.  I sort of agree and am afraid to try some of their stuff, like scopes, but I have used quite a few of their scope rings, Pic rail risers, and offset scope mounts on many builds, 5.56 to .458 SOCOM, and they are holding up very well and have not given me any trouble at all.  Most everyone who has used their USA made handguards have nothing but praise for them also.  

So, don’t be too quick to dismiss their stuff based on what was true 10-20 years ago.
View Quote

I have actually. Mostly a couple of the pro line rails. They seemed well made and perfectly serviceable, dare I say good values. I also recently had a utg pro removable carry handle strip tightening it down by hand. The female threads on the thumbscrews were atrocious. So my "hit or miss" comment stands. Still doesn't make much of an argument over pmags at the same price.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 7:09:55 PM EDT
[#8]
From what I've seen online, the Taiwanese flavor are the mags that are intended to be used with the new XT-112 rifle that's due to replace the T-91 in Republic of China Army service.  They generally have good history in small arms development.

I'm kinda curious about them, they look pretty neat.  After you've stockpiled enough "battle tested" magazines thanks to living through the ban era, you've earned the right to buy magazines to play with just because they look cool.  

I wonder if all the other "RBT" model mags they've got come from the same OEM, they share the same aesthetics.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 8:42:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Findsman:
From what I've seen online, the Taiwanese flavor are the mags that are intended to be used with the new XT-112 rifle that's due to replace the T-91 in Republic of China Army service.  They generally have good history in small arms development.

I'm kinda curious about them, they look pretty neat.  After you've stockpiled enough "battle tested" magazines thanks to living through the ban era, you've earned the right to buy magazines to play with just because they look cool.  

Wait for the Chinese Invasion to occur to see if the mags hold up.

Like Big Bore said, I was in the same thinking about UTG until I found out it is a Taiwanese company and have been doing a lot of in road of product improvements for the price point they offer to the consumers.

The scope rings and rails are quite well made. During the COVID shutdown. The only thing I could find that was reasonably price was UTG rail for my AR10 build.
I wonder if all the other "RBT" model mags they've got come from the same OEM, they share the same aesthetics.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:50:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Big-Bore:
Have you actually yourself tried their stuff in the last 5 years?  Didn't think so.  I sort of agree and am afraid to try some of their stuff, like scopes, but I have used quite a few of their scope rings, Pic rail risers, and offset scope mounts on many builds, 5.56 to .458 SOCOM, and they are holding up very well and have not given me any trouble at all.  Most everyone who has used their USA made handguards have nothing but praise for them also.  

So, don't be too quick to dismiss their stuff based on what was true 10-20 years ago.
View Quote
Same, I have had no issues with rings and mounts.  Many here probably don't know that some of their things are made in the USA.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 8:07:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Taiwan's new XT112. The mag has a definite resemblance.

Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:30:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I have no issues with UTG Pro line, even their iron sights. The windowed magazine looks cool, might have to get some to play with.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:46:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tiribulus] [#13]
Originally Posted By Big-Bore: Most everyone who has used their USA made handguards have nothing but praise for them also.
View Quote
I am one of those people. I paid 110 on sale for an American made UTG Pro 15 in. handguard a few years ago and there's not a thing wrong with it. In fact, it's quite nice.

I also have a Chinese "BugBuster" scope made by UTG, which while not great, actually works fine on my 10/22. A worthwhile value at 100 bucks.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 11:42:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Efl15] [#14]
Originally Posted By MallNinja531:
My question is why would someone pay pmag prices for an unproven product from a manufacturer known for having hit or miss quality?
View Quote

Some of us like trying new products especially if it's less $10, I don't mind. Plus I think they look pretty cool.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 4:49:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

Competition between mag companies is a good thing.

View Quote

Agree,
There’s nothing wrong with having other options.

Already forgot the 2012-2013 shortage for mags??
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 4:57:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#16]
Wouldn't buy them over pmags.

But iirc Taiwan Mil is using them?

UTG stuff today is pretty well made.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 4:20:36 PM EDT
[#17]
I've got a bunch of the UTG window mags and have been using them for a couple of years without any issues.
Matter of fact, I'm going to be purchasing more of them shortly.

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top