Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2024 1:20:07 PM EDT
What the hivemind think about this scope?  Seems like a deal for the price

https://bkingsfirearms.com/shop/optics/leupold-mark-3hd-rifle-scope-3-9x40mm-30mm-p5-mildot-reticle/
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 3:14:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Just10mm] [#1]
Depending on what you’re looking to do and if you like mil dot, not a bad choice. At 15.6 ounces paired with a light weight mount, a top mount or offset MRDS and it could be a slick set up, lighter than similar LPVO set-ups.

At that price I’m tempted…

Ymmv
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 3:23:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one on a 12.5" SBR and love it.  Not bulky at all. They were on a big sale last year for like $399.  Can't remember the website.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:25:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Looks like their MarkAR cheapy line with a new joke name. I wouldn’t buy such a low end scope.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 8:50:11 AM EDT
[#4]
The 4-12× version is the exact same size and offers adjustable side parallax, a better reticle, and more magnification, all for just a half ounce more weight.

Keep in mind, none of these have illuminated reticles.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 11:31:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: s4s4u] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DevL:
The 4-12× version is the exact same size and offers adjustable side parallax, a better reticle, and more magnification, all for just a half ounce more weight.

Keep in mind, none of these have illuminated reticles.
View Quote

Does the 4-12 have adjustable parallax?  I can do without illumination because I will piggyback a reflex, but I'd like side focus.

D'oh, I see it in the top line.  Reading is fun-duh-mental, ha.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:30:38 PM EDT
[#6]
TR20-2G does same with illumination and lighter weight at the cost of $200 more. Ymmv.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:34:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

Does the 4-12 have adjustable parallax?  I can do without illumination because I will piggyback a reflex, but I'd like side focus.
View Quote

If it's the magnification and parralax you want try the TR26 w/milldot, but you'll pay a little more in weight.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:26:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

View Quote

Yes it does. I have one. Just got back from the range to zero mine on a new rifle.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 2:03:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By thebert:

Yes it does. I have one. Just got back from the range to zero mine on a new rifle.
View Quote

TY.  I see it in the post I quoted now, not sure how I messed it
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 6:12:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I have the Mark AR version, haven't shot it yet but I like the clarity and reticle. It's replacing a Vortex 2-10 HD LH, the reticle on that was too fine for me. I think I can shoot the 3-9 with both eyes open on 3x.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:57:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I picked up one of these late last year trying to make my mk12 look more clone correct without being clone correct and it does that. The scope is decent and the reticle is bare bones mil.

That being said I’m upgrading to the mk4 2-10 because I have given up on having it be clonish looking.

The scope will serve you well.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:24:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By DirtDivision:
I picked up one of these late last year trying to make my mk12 look more clone correct without being clone correct and it does that. The scope is decent and the reticle is bare bones mil.

That being said I’m upgrading to the mk4 2-10 because I have given up on having it be clonish looking.

The scope will serve you well.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/245997/EAB615BF-FD67-4D4C-9DC1-CC39B3FCE4E2_jpe-3196273.JPG
View Quote

There comes a time when we all realize that the devil is in the ACTUAL details.  Newbies, take note of the DOPE card  
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:44:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I've never used one, but have read about them fairly extensively.

Between the 3x9 and 4x12, I think the one to get is the 3x9.  Both are light and simple.  Downsides are the eye relief changes substantially with magnification.  IIRC, there is about a 1.5" variance in eye relief between low and high magnification.  Also, elevation dialing window is comparably small to other offerings.

Having said that, I think the 3x9 Firedot version with an MRDS would cover a lot of ground.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:46:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By rauchman:
I've never used one, but have read about them fairly extensively.

Between the 3x9 and 4x12, I think the one to get is the 3x9.  Both are light and simple.  Downsides are the eye relief changes substantially with magnification.  IIRC, there is about a 1.5" variance in eye relief between low and high magnification.  Also, elevation dialing window is comparably small to other offerings.

Having said that, I think the 3x9 Firedot version with an MRDS would cover a lot of ground.
View Quote

That i was thinking too.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:59:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: drewthebrave] [#15]
Originally Posted By PistoleroJesse:
TR20-2G does same with illumination and lighter weight at the cost of $200 more. Ymmv.
View Quote

That TR20 has a MIL-dot reticle, but MOA turrets.  Deal-breaker.

At least the Leupold has matching reticle & turret adjustments.  I like my old VX-R Patrol 3-9x40 Firedot, though I'm not sure how the glass compares with this new VX3HD.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By drewthebrave:
That TR20 has a MIL-dot reticle, but MOA turrets.  Deal-breaker.
View Quote

Yea but they are capped, so you won't be dialing much.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:53:05 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a VX5 HD 1-6 on my Grendel and I like it a lot.  300mm tube makes a big difference
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:52:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I may be resurrecting this thread from the dead, but I do have 2 cents to add.

I have a 16” Sionics that has lived in many configurations from red dot, to LPVO, to medium power.

Last year, I confidently decided to move away from a Viper PST II 1-6 LPVO to a medium power optic.

I bought a modern SwampFox Warhawk 2-10 and a Leupold VX-R Patrol TMR Firedot 3-9x40.

On paper, the SwampFox had all the great features I was looking for, but with a mount and MRDS it was a 2.5LB pig that destroyed usability.

I kept the Leupold and have loved it. Similar to someone above, I call that setup my Mock-12, but it’s an incredible set-up. The MK3 HD looks like the modern predecessor and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it.

Pair it with a piggyback dot and I really do have all the capability I need for the 5.56 round. GPR, lightweight, NV capable, and fairly precise out to 400M at 9x
Link Posted: Today 8:49:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By ct78:
I may be resurrecting this thread from the dead, but I do have 2 cents to add.

I have a 16” Sionics that has lived in many configurations from red dot, to LPVO, to medium power.

Last year, I confidently decided to move away from a Viper PST II 1-6 LPVO to a medium power optic.

I bought a modern SwampFox Warhawk 2-10 and a Leupold VX-R Patrol TMR Firedot 3-9x40.

On paper, the SwampFox had all the great features I was looking for, but with a mount and MRDS it was a 2.5LB pig that destroyed usability.

I kept the Leupold and have loved it. Similar to someone above, I call that setup my Mock-12, but it’s an incredible set-up. The MK3 HD looks like the modern predecessor and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it.

Pair it with a piggyback dot and I really do have all the capability I need for the 5.56 round. GPR, lightweight, NV capable, and fairly precise out to 400M at 9x
View Quote

Don't dbe afraid to bring it back.  This is the kind of info that's needed.  Thanks.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top