Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2024 7:14:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmaier83]
Newer to lights and looking at photos got me thinking.

I see quite a few photos where the light will literally be even with the muzzle device. You would think the heat and concussion would not be the best to blast the light directly with, however it must be ok as I see it this way more times than not.

I have my light just behind the break, and it still gets quite dirty after a range day.

Am I missing something? Is this just for photos and they run a suppressor? Am I over thinking this? lol happy Monday!
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:36:08 PM EDT
[#1]
If the lens is behind the ports/tines on muzzle device, carbon will get to it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:42:45 PM EDT
[#2]
The reason my lights are far forward are to reduce the suppressor shadow.
You can put some vasoline or chapstick on the lens if you're getting carbon build up on it.
Then just clean it off with a paper towel when it's getting too gunked up and reapply fresh.
If you're not running a suppressor you can get away with running it a bit further back and you shouldn't get too much shadow.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:51:23 PM EDT
[#3]
What about just applying a bit of gun lube on the lens?
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 10:57:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Would you leave it here or move it back a bit?

Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:02:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Hard to see what type of brake that is, but I'm sure it's fine.  These lights are surprisingly tough.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:11:20 PM EDT
[#6]
It’s a BCM MOD1
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 11:59:51 PM EDT
[#7]
No issues as of yet

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 7:10:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dmaier83:
Would you leave it here or move it back a bit?

https://i.postimg.cc/crXfLWXM/IMG-0670.jpg
View Quote
That's where the lights on my 4 rifles are, and 2 of them are BCM's with mod 0 and mod 1 compensators. The BCM's are my oldest rifles and I've never had any problems. As long as they aren't in direct blast of the ports, they could only possibly collect a bit of carbon haze. As mentioned above, anything wax based will help with cleaning. A liquid based product may end up becoming a magnet for carbon to attach and build up quicker.

I've been pleased with the light caps and shock collars from the US company One Hundred Concepts. Along with protecting the lense from contaminants, they also prevent the possibility of negligent light discharge.

https://onehundredconcepts.com/products/weapon-light-package
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:10:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By FullAssault:
No issues as of yet
View Quote

Sick setup
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:11:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Headbarcode:
That's where the lights on my 4 rifles are, and 2 of them are BCM's with mod 0 and mod 1 compensators. The BCM's are my oldest rifles and I've never had any problems. As long as they aren't in direct blast of the ports, they could only possibly collect a bit of carbon haze. As mentioned above, anything wax based will help with cleaning. A liquid based product may end up becoming a magnet for carbon to attach and build up quicker.

I've been pleased with the light caps and shock collars from the US company One Hundred Concepts. Along with protecting the lense from contaminants, they also prevent the possibility of negligent light discharge.

https://onehundredconcepts.com/products/weapon-light-package
View Quote

Thanks for the info and link, ill check it out.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 10:19:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Nobody69s:
The reason my lights are far forward are to reduce the suppressor shadow.
You can put some vasoline or chapstick on the lens if you're getting carbon build up on it.
Then just clean it off with a paper towel when it's getting too gunked up and reapply fresh.
If you're not running a suppressor you can get away with running it a bit further back and you shouldn't get too much shadow.
View Quote

This.  Or even a dab of gun oil on the front lens for easy carbon wipes.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:59:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By DefenderAO:

This.  Or even a dab of gun oil on the front lens for easy carbon wipes.
View Quote

I like this, nothing new to pick up. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:26:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Petroleum based oils can eat seals/o-rings over time.  Probably not a big deal, but could eventually lead to less water resistance, for your amphibious assaults
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 11:50:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Chapstick (or similar) your lens.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top