AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 127
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 2:15:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fadedsun] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

That’s where I bought it from.

I don’t know if I’ll actually receive it. Who knows.

Any good options for a hand guard?

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 12:23:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#2]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

That’s where I bought it from.

I don’t know if I’ll actually receive it. Who knows.

View Quote

The Fostec rails are the lightest right now, especially the 10" "tungsten" one which tends to be a bit longer. I'd love to get my hands on one and take pictures of / weigh the nut. The list on page 1 is pretty up-to-date.

Midwest Industries Ultra Lightweight $$
V7 Systems Hyperlite $$$
Aero Precision Atlas-One M-Lok
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 2:34:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RangeToy] [#3]
Originally Posted By djkest:

The Fostec rails are the lightest right now, especially the 10" "tungsten" one which tends to be a bit longer. I'd love to get my hands on one and take pictures of / weigh the nut. The list on page 1 is pretty up-to-date.

V7 Systems Hyperlite $$$
View Quote

I'm running the 12.6" MI rail on the 14.5" pin & weld build I recently finished. No complaints.

Thinking about trying the Odin Works O2 lite rail on the next build, but now that I see the Fostec handguard, I might have to go that route
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 1:55:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fadedsun] [#4]

V7 Systems Hyperlite $$$
View Quote

Something else to add to the list:

Samson low profile gas block-.61 oz

That's a MFG supplied number but when mine arrives I'll get you a user supplied number with a photo to back it up. It's the Lightest one I have seen so far and about a tenth of an ounce lighter than the V7.

https://www.mountsplus.com/625-low-profile-gas-block-samson-lightweight-ar15-gas-block.html

The Aero atlas one seems to be the best combination of price, length, and weight. about 13 ounces for the complete setup.

I'll go with that.

What is the measurement used for weighing a rifle? Ready to shoot with optics, BUIS? no optic/BUIS?

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 6:39:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Personally I feel the base weight measurement should be with no accessories. No sights, sling,mag etc. that way we can compare weights without figuring out the difference in the add ons.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:40:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Something else to add to the list:

Samson low profile gas block-.61 oz

That's a MFG supplied number but when mine arrives I'll get you a user supplied number with a photo to back it up. It's the Lightest one I have seen so far and about a tenth of an ounce lighter than the V7.

https://www.mountsplus.com/625-low-profile-gas-block-samson-lightweight-ar15-gas-block.html

The Aero atlas one seems to be the best combination of price, length, and weight. about 13 ounces for the complete setup.

I'll go with that.

What is the measurement used for weighing a rifle? Ready to shoot with optics, BUIS? no optic/BUIS?
View Quote

The Under 6 thread has specific requirements in the OP.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 4:58:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Slimjim] [#7]
Anderson LW receiver set: 14.4 OZ for upper and lower set.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 5:01:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: larrys] [#8]
FWIW the Smoke Composite 10” handguard is 5.243 oz  if you ask them to give you the lightened version. That is a confirmed U weight.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 5:57:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tortilla-flats] [#9]

That's where I bought it from.

I don't know if I'll actually receive it. Who knows.

View Quote

I've bought from Optics Planet lately without an issue. But I make sure it's clear on their website its in stock. Also, free shipping is sloowww.

Link Posted: 4/8/2024 2:34:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By tortilla-flats:

I've bought from Optics Planet lately without an issue. But I make sure it's clear on their website its in stock. Also, free shipping is sloowww.

View Quote

I ordered my stuff on the 1st and it still hasn't arrived.

Yeah, super slow.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 2:53:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 10:44:08 AM EDT
[#12]

That part is so light that your scale lacks the precision to measure it properly. Still, that's good news.

I'd love to get my hands on the KAK mini-milspec and the LWRC UCIW buffer tubes to see how much they weigh. Might be a good option for some folks, only issue is that they have proprietary buffer systems to deal with the shorter length.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 1:23:48 PM EDT
[#13]

That part is so light that your scale lacks the precision to measure it properly. Still, that's good news.

I'd love to get my hands on the KAK mini-milspec and the LWRC UCIW buffer tubes to see how much they weigh. Might be a good option for some folks, only issue is that they have proprietary buffer systems to deal with the shorter length.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Lose more weight taking the weights out of the buffer itself & turning down the gas.  One of the least expensive routes to lose weight on an AR, albeit & the expense of some reliability, some of which can be mitigated by turning the gas back up as needed.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 11:26:02 AM EDT
[#14]
New weights

ALG ACT Trigger 72 grams / 2.5 oz
Geiselle SD-C Trigger 63 grams / 2.2 oz

Not a cheap way to lose 9 grams
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:50:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks like Aero Precision may be discontinuing their "No-FA" upper receivers, which sucks because they were one of the few companies that still made them. I just picked up one from Primary Arms while they are still around.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:06:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Looks like Aero Precision may be discontinuing their "No-FA" upper receivers, which sucks because they were one of the few companies that still made them. I just picked up one from Primary Arms while they are still around.
View Quote

Ouch. Those uppers are nice. Source?
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 11:19:32 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-assembled-upper-receiver-no-fa

Marked as discontinued.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 2:34:52 PM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

It's easy to test. Weigh a nickel, should be 5 grams, add another nickel, 10 grams...
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 7:09:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C_1] [#19]

View Quote

I recently emailed KAK and they said their KAK Mini Mil Spec Buffer Tube Kit with carbine buffer weighs 8.3 oz.

And IIRC, I read somewhere that the LWRC UICW buffer tube kit (w/o stock) weighs 9.1 oz.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 9:59:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#20]
Originally Posted By C_1:

I recently emailed KAK and they said their KAK Mini Mil Spec Buffer Tube Kit with carbine buffer weighs 8.3 oz.

And IIRC, I read somewhere that the LWRC UICW buffer tube kit (w/o stock) weighs 9.1 oz.
View Quote

That sounds pretty good. I am going to order one soon I just ordered and will weigh all the parts individually. The KAK system includes:
Buffer Tube
Buffer
Castle Nut
End Plate
Buffer Spring

I recently received another Aero Precision No FA upper and it was 0.1 oz less than my last one. 6.4 oz. I suspect the cerakote versions are slightly heavier due to coating thickness.
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 12:25:04 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

Primary Arms had a bunch, Aero has some still, mostly in black.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:43:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: djkest] [#22]
Good news on the KAK Mini-Milspec.

MILSPEC Carbine system:
Buffer: 3.0 Oz
Spring: 1.9 Oz
Buffer Tube: 3.9 Oz
System weight: 8.8 Oz

KAK Mini-Milspec:
Buffer: 2.5
Spring: 1.4
Buffer Tube: 3.1 Oz
System Weight: 7 Oz

SO you can save 1.8 Oz for $60 by switching over to the KAK mini-milspec. The only big disadvantage is that you have less LOP, but that might not even be an issue for you.

Parts seem to be good quality, maybe not "super premium" but still good milspec quality.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:42:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#23]

View Quote

The LWRC buffer has tungsten weights in the buffer and weighs between the standard and H1 buffer. You could swap in steel weights if you want to cut some weight off the LWRC 2 weight buffer. The KAK is 1 weight buffer and gets length from the endcap.

Personally, I prefer some rear weight to balance a rifle vs all out lightweight. It just handles better. And isn't the point of building an ultralight rifle supposed to be about handling?
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 8:59:01 AM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

But that includes castle nut and end plate I believe.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:43:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By DevL:

The LWRC buffer has tungsten weights in the buffer and weighs between the standard and H1 buffer. You could swap in steel weights if you want to cut some weight off the LWRC 2 weight buffer. The KAK is 1 weight buffer and gets length from the endcap.

Personally, I prefer some rear weight to balance a rifle vs all out lightweight. It just handles better. And isn't the point of building an ultralight rifle supposed to be about handling?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By C_1:  I recently emailed KAK and they said their KAK Mini Mil Spec Buffer Tube Kit with carbine buffer weighs 8.3 oz.

You're thinking of "a balanced rifle".  Balanced rifles are about handling.  Ultra-lightweight rifles are extremely handy to carry around, sometimes at the sacrifice of handling & other qualities.  Everything is a compromise - pick yours.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:45:14 AM EDT
[#26]

But that includes castle nut and end plate I believe.
View Quote

Correct.

By my scale, Castle Nut + Endplate = 1.2 Oz

So I got 8.2 oz for the full KAK set.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 9:49:09 AM EDT
[#27]
KAK parts are a lot more expensive than:

1) Pull the weights from your existing buffer;
2) Turn down the gas.

You will save some weight on the tube, buffer shell, & spring over standard carbine components.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:08:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: J_taylor] [#28]
Does anyone have a list of Lower reciever weights ? I'm building a lightweight Takedown AR.   I'm thinking of using a H&R XM16E1 or a 601 Lower reciever.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 1:21:30 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By J_taylor:
Does anyone have a list of Lower reciever weights ? I'm building a lightweight Takedown AR.   I'm thinking of using a H&R XM16E1 or a 601 Lower reciever.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/548798/1000011620_jpg-3192932.JPG
View Quote

There's quite a few on the first page and in the spreadsheet.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 11:29:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By RangeToy:

I'm running the 12.6" MI rail on the 14.5" pin & weld build I recently finished. No complaints.

Thinking about trying the Odin Works O2 lite rail on the next build, but now that I see the Fostec handguard, I might have to go that route
View Quote

That's actually a great size combo.
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 8:06:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Well look at this. I've been sorting through some stuff and decided to check out some things...

Lower: H&R M16A1 factory complete: 1lb, 13.75oz
Upper: Colt 6720* complete: 3lbs, 6.50oz

TOTAL: 5lbs, 4.25oz

Not a bad start for just slapping together an upper & lower I had laying around. (no sights/optics)

* Upper config...
-- Colt M4 upper receiver w/Colt FA BCG & CH
-- Colt 6720 16" pencil barrel w/A1 FH; ADCO shaved the FSB
-- MI 10.5" Ultralightweight rail

Page / 127
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top